Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fabric Crafts for kids 6-11 easy ideas needed! >

Fabric Crafts for kids 6-11 easy ideas needed!

Fabric Crafts for kids 6-11 easy ideas needed!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM

I had a good idea and volunteered to help with setting up craft projects for the children in our camp ground during the summer months.. apparently there are a TON of them (ahh) and before the pool opens in the morning most are .. bored quick. I have a ready access to free fabric. I just got two boxes of all cotton medium weight fabrics in all sorts of striped fabrics.. from spring colors to bold summer, to fall.. and of course the whole gammit of others. I want to do easy crafts. We have unlimited rocks, pinecones, (egad pine needles).... and limited helpers but me so far. I can petition for supplies if anyone has any craft ideas at all even if fabric is not needed. Of note: we have a huge parade for adults and their golf carts in July. I wanted to figure out something fun for kids for the event also maybe a flag parade? ideas? I NEED IDEAS!! or web sites, any and all send away. Thank you so much in advance for your help. Anyone wants to work with a bunch of little energetic bundles of fun come on up, the pay is non existant but the noise should be in abundance!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM

how about pennants, pre-cut shapes the kids could hand sew on with bright colored yarn...using outlines of their hands, they could make critter appliques..how about silly hats to wear in the parade, decorated with all kinds of "leftovers"...smock sorta top that is hooked just at the shoulders that slips on over their heads they could hand stitch at shoulders and decorate...give me time, I'll think of more...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM

I love the idea of a flag parade! It would be so cute to have the kids design a flag representing who they are and what they love! You could also have them make "self portraits" using fabric to cut out and make themselves..I'm all about imagination so them having access to a bunch of fabric choices is just too fun! They could paint their faces then cut out outfits, make hair, the works!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Add old yarn cones and 1/4 inch dowels and you could have them make puppets.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
bj

Pine cone bird feeders? Cover them with peanut butter and roll them bird seed. Our kids made them every year and we'd take them out on the nature trail near our school and put them in the trees.

Paper plate masks with "found" treasures.

Pet rocks that they paint and decorate with glitter, feathers, whatever they have handy.

Paper mache puppets. Cover a balloon with paper mache, let dry completely, pop balloon, paint or decorate, make an outfit for it (making a puppet like this is all I remember about being in 2nd grade), put on a puppet show for parents.

You could ask parents of children who participate to contribute cash or goodies to help defray some of the cost of supplies.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM

pillows or pillow cases, animal or nature shapes for the pillows

If they use the long tables for their dining area? You could layout one extra large light colored table covering, explain to the kids that either they can draw, color, paint graffiti all over it one day, or then the next day with a new tablecovering they can each pick a spot to eat at and they could paint or color in their place mats. Then their placemats can be cut out the last day of camp so that they could tie quilt it together or leave it as is to use at home.

scavenger hunts are always a hit at campgrounds...we have instigated them at family campgrounds too....asking other familes if they wanted to participate some do, some don't but both sides usually end up having fun with the hunt because some people are doers and others are watchers. Most families that don't initially join in, end up joining in by trying to give extra clues to the ones doing the searching.