Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sharing Space - Venting and Advice Request >

Sharing Space - Venting and Advice Request

Sharing Space - Venting and Advice Request

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Okay, everyone, I need some advice...Two years ago we turned our formal dining room into an art room....sewing, painting, writing (my hobbies - my 13 yr old paints, too, but rarely in this studio) and fly-tying (my husband's). I love my DH, but this isn't working. He leaves his stuff out all over my cutting table and it makes me crazy, because on my few days off, like today, I went to work on a quilt block that has been giving me nightmares, and there was his latest woodworking project (too cold in the garage - his shop - to glue). It happens ALL the time. He has an office in our spare bedroom and I am contemplating putting his office in the dining room with his fly tying and taking over the spare bedroom, but it is upstairs and I don't like being that out of the loop...he doesn't want to do his fly tying up and away, either. HELP???????????
Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Can you splite the room in two--his "stuff" stays on his side, and your "stuff" stays on your side?

My husband and I share a space as well and except for during tax time, he knows the table is OFF LIMITS!!!.

Rose
Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I've tried that (short of drawing an actual line)...and he really wants to be good. He just likes my side of the space better...or equally anyway.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Well, I don't know anything about fly tying...but it seems that he might not need as much open table space as we need for cutting. If it's the height of your table that he is attracted to, why not get him a smaller version...or better yet, another table like yours...win,win...you'd have the option then of combining them for those really big jobs that often put us down to the floor for space. Or, rearrange that space so your table is not convenient for him to use.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM

"Your" cutting table, is it your own place in the room, or a shared space? If it's yours alone, then leave your work out on it.

If he can't be bothered to clean up after himself, let him know you'll just sweep everything off towards his side of the room. Yes, it will likely damage his work and his supplies a few times.

Or make it a rule that he doesn't eat the next meal (of you cook and serve them) or go to bed until he removes his stuff. At least that way, it'll only clutter up the table for a few hours at most, not days. This isn't harsh punishment. It shouldn't take him more than a few minutes to move things. It's not that he has to put everything away neatly, he just has to get it out of your space. It's no worse than reminding the kids to wash before eating or brush their teeth before bed.

As for the woodworking project, there are two solutions to problems like that. If he needs to leave it there to dry, he can ask your permission, just so he moves it once it's dry. Or he can do the work downstairs and haul it up to his office to dry.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

I have the sharing problem with MYSELF! I do some scrapbookking, glass etching, writing and now quilting! Can't get the dust from the glass etching (I use electric dremil tool) into the fabric, so I moved all but the quilting to our downstairs den.

I also share the office/computer room with my husband. He knows to leave my area alone and I do my best to ignore his mess ( I mean stuff) in the computer room. From time to time his stuff gets into my area, but I just pick it up, place it on his computer CHAIR and get on with what I was doing.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

I have the sharing problem with MYSELF! I do some scrapbookking, glass etching, writing and now quilting! Can't get the dust from the glass etching (I use electric dremil tool) into the fabric, so I moved all but the quilting to our downstairs den.

I also share the office/computer room with my husband. He knows to leave my area alone and I do my best to ignore his mess ( I mean stuff) in the computer room. From time to time his stuff gets into my area, but I just pick it up, place it on his computer CHAIR and get on with what I was doing.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 PM

I think that we should all get up a petition to help convince hubby the do's and don'ts of wifeypoo's sewing room... :lol:
What do you all think????
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I think that we should all get up a petition to help convince hubby the do's and don'ts of wifeypoo's sewing room... :lol:
What do you all think????
Oh, mine knows NOT to go into my sewing room! He even bought a pair of scissors for himself ---- told ME to NOT TOUCH HIS scissors LOL
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM

You gals are cute, my husband has a shop, I have a sewing room. Neither is off limits nor is there a no touch rule.
He has excellent ideas for my sewing room and has even made a great suggestion about a curtain rod in the spare room so I can hang my quilts from to photograph.
I give him ideas on his shop, we bounce ideas off each other. Although I am guilty of not put a tool back now and again. You should see the workbench in the garage...least I think there is one under all that clutter I put on it...lol