My husband

Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 AM

Hey everyone. I havent been on at all this week. Last week my husband wasnt feeling well, so we went to the local ER, and they sent him by ambulance to a large trauma hospital. He was having a heart attack. They did an angio on him, and the right side of his heart, the blood flow was completely blocked off, and so they put a stint in. We were so fortunate. The ambulance got him to the trauma hospital in 40 mins, and that was during rush hour. And then he was rushed right into the angio room. They took an hour and a half, and didnt tell me anything all that time. So that was last wed that this happened. I was so glad they didnt have to do heart surgery. My neighbours drove into the city and picked me up and took me home that night, and two other times they drove me in to see my husband. My husband was supposed to go home on saturday, but each day he wasnt well enough to come home, but he finally came home on tuesday, so he was in there for a week. I was really stressed the whole time he was gone. And im just so glad he is home now. He had to stop smoking right there and then, and so i did too. He wasnt able to smoke in the hospital, and i quit cold turkey at home. He's also getting used to eating a heart healthy diet. My husband is very overweight, and i really hope he can get this under control. He seems to be really trying. But we both seem to be on edge and snapping at each other so easy, i dont know why, cus i missed him so much. But i'm just so glad he is home now
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 AM

Oh Barb, I am glad to hear that you DH is now home from the hospital & doing so much better!! It's a scary thing, having a heart attack. Good Luck on his recovery & the quitting smoking. I am proud of the both of you!! It will be difficult, but I know you can do it. Hugs.......to the both of you!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 AM

OMG Barb!
Big hugs to you!
I can't imagine what you were going thru, but glad all is well.
I can understand your stress about getting him to eat healthy. We did the same with my dad. It took him about 2 weeks to finally settle in, but it was stressful on all of us.
Just glad you have him home and he's on the mend.

HUGS!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 AM

Hugs, to you and your family. This is a stressful time what with the emergency treatment, hospitalization, and ceasing to smoke. Under "normal" circumstances the act of quiting to smoke is a trial in itself for most people. Don't be too hard on yourself, dear friend.

You are in my heart and prayers.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM

You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Sending hugs to you. Glad to hear that your DH is home and doing better. I am sure that you are both still under alot of stress and that is the cause for the current short-temperedness, but you will get beyond that and can work at your improved lifestyle and better health
Old 02-26-2010, 04:26 AM

Snapping out is one of the side effects of going cold turkey. This will pass.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 AM

Barb, I'm sure you are just snapping at each other because of the nicotine withdrawl. Quitting smoking could make a saint cranky! Also, many people who have heart attacks or heart surgery go through a period of depression and/or anger. It's normal. It's not easy to live with, but it is normal.

Take the money you are not spending on cigarettes to buy lots of heart healty fruits and veggies. Scour the internet for recipes to try out. You never know. You two might find out heart healthy is not so bad.

Take care of each other and best of luck on the new lifestyle.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 AM

Thank heaven he made it and is home recovering. Snapping at each other? You surely know the stress of this entire situation. Snapping is nothing! Its a blessing. The fact you can snap is reason to say a prayer of thanks. Nicotine seems to be one horrible addiction to end. Dropping this AND trying ot eat healthier, lose some weight (most people gain weight when they quit smoking) and not feeling generally perky would make anyone snappy. I have lived with two smokers in my lifetime and watching the withdrawals I know how tough it is on them. Its not just the nicotine I think but maybe the hand to mouth habit too? Bless you for standing right beside him and attacking this together Only good things can come from this. a very good cookbook Diet for a healthy heart .. you could probably check it out from a library? There are dozens of them. A lot of the food? Tastes pretty darned good. Best of luck and our prayers will be with you.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

So sorry Barb, glad he is home with you now, where he belongs. Great Big Hugs coming your way!! Hang in there, it will get easier each day you go without a cigarette!!