Facebook

Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 PM

I sign into facebook every day. I follow my kids' (all adult) threads, and my nieces and nephews. I get to see all the current family pictures and hear little snippets of their lives. We post info about family gatherings, pray for each other, celebrate things I wouldn't even have heard of.

I am particular about what I post in my info. No contact info except email. A little about my hobbies.

I like the fb games and play them when I can't sleep. I "hide" the scores, etc., from games I don't play so I don't get 6,000 posts every day.

I am a BabyBoomer and a lot of my generation are using it. My kids and grandkids- on there all the time.

Once I learned how to "block" junk I didn't want, I enjoy it very much.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Ilove my facebook. I can keep up with people I went to school with and live far away from. I like to see what my kids and their families are doing and I have reconnected with three of my nieces I haven't seen in years. I also reconnected with a childhood friend I haven't seen in 30 years. He is a missionary in Manila. So I enjoy Facebook. I'm not super chatty but I do like to add my two cents in once in awhile. I like being to check on my friends and family and see what is going on in their lives. I also am on Twitter. Tho I don't add things to Twitter too often. Once in a while.

I love seeing photos on Facebook. I don't get into the games and such.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
I sign into facebook every day. I follow my kids' (all adult) threads, and my nieces and nephews. I get to see all the current family pictures and hear little snippets of their lives. We post info about family gatherings, pray for each other, celebrate things I wouldn't even have heard of.

I am particular about what I post in my info. No contact info except email. A little about my hobbies.

I like the fb games and play them when I can't sleep. I "hide" the scores, etc., from games I don't play so I don't get 6,000 posts every day.

I am a BabyBoomer and a lot of my generation are using it. My kids and grandkids- on there all the time.

Once I learned how to "block" junk I didn't want, I enjoy it very much.
This is also the extent to my use of FB.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:49 PM

I was on facebook until I got hacked last year and the only info I had on it was my initial, lastname and photo. They got into family and friends used my photo and name and tried to extort money. The CA Sheriff, got involved. But shutting down my account was a nightmare. There is no phone number to call, and the hackers hijacked everything I was trying to send to facebooks security site through the internet. I wanted my account deleted not deactivated. I googled online until I found a personal office phone number for an employee. I did not get an answer but left a message I was going to the media. Once they got the message the account was shut down in minutes. But it took hours for me to find a phone number.

All my family is on facebook, but I am not willing to go back on it, even with all the new security measures they are adding.

I have every spyware, adaware, virus scan, doesn't matter they can still get by all that. I am also very computer savy.
The first person this happened to was a Microsoft Executive. If you do a search you should be able to find the article and interview he did last September. I got hacked about the same time.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

I use it daily with no problems. Just don't put any personal info on it like first and last name, email address, birthday, etc. :thumbup:
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I am on Facebook.. and like it to keep up with others ... I don't accept everyone as a friend though. I think you have to be careful. But they are turning into another MySpace.. too many advertisers trying to get into all your info :hunf:
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM

I love it! I found old friends, keep track of my kids, keep relatives informed about events, etc. Actually, I think that is how I found this board!

I don't worry about someone stealing my identity. I have nothing. And if someone wants to steal your identity they will find a way. My husband is famous in his field so people can track us down if they want anyway.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I liked Facebook at first because it seemed to be a great way to stay in touch with family and friends without making a gazillion phone calls.
It is a very good way to share photos and you can choose who you give permission to see the photos. That is a good thing.
I began to get discouraged because I seem to share few interest with many of the people that were on my friends list.
Then Facebook ?became more liberal? with their privacy policy, sharing more 'account holder' information with 3rd party ?vendors?. That is when I took all my personal information (other than my name and email) out of my facebook account and deleted the people from my list that I seem to share no interest with.
I seldom sign on.
You can change your privacy settings.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Like many others I am on FB to watch over kids (all adult) and what their friends post. I don't have but maybe two personal pics of myself and I won't accept anyone's invite that involves downloading an app nor a "friend" I don't know. I don't post anything in my status very often and when I do they are generally pretty generic comments or holiday greetings. Great way to see recent pics of grandkids quickly or keep in touch with family many miles away.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I love it! I found old friends, keep track of my kids, keep relatives informed about events, etc. Actually, I think that is how I found this board!

I don't worry about someone stealing my identity. I have nothing. And if someone wants to steal your identity they will find a way. My husband is famous in his field so people can track us down if they want anyway.
I agree with you . If someone is going to do bad things they will do it no matter what I do. I had forgotten but I also found the board by following links I saw on Facebook.