Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Facebook is worse than a peeping Tom >

Facebook is worse than a peeping Tom

Facebook is worse than a peeping Tom

Old 03-02-2018, 05:49 AM

Re: addiction. I heard on the news that in Korea they actually have residential places where children stay to be treated for this social media addictoion syndrome.....that is scary, but I see it in the younger members of my family too. Bad grammar, shortcut words when texting, and face to face conversation almost always will contain a referral to some information from somewhere on social media site....may not be correct, but they swear by it!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 AM

There is no privacy in the digital age, we are being followed everywhere, every day! You don't even have to get on the internet, look at all the stolen info and breaches from credit history, credit cards, bank accounts, etc,etc.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 AM

I'm with above. Phone calls are "no more".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-06-2018 at 05:22 AM. Reason: venting not permitted
Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I use Facebook for quilting, nothing else. I don't have the facebook page with my real info at all listed. I use a free email, list as living in another state, where I grew up, false birthday, etc. If your name has ever been printed in a obituary then that is all anyone needs to know to find out who you are. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

The best was to stay protected is to stay off the grid. I'm not so I do my best to be alert.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Suz

On Pinterest yesterday, there was a dress with pattern number listed that is of interest to me. I went to JoAnn's and searched for it and looked at other dress patterns. The exact patterns I looked at yesterday are listed at the very top of this page today.

Also, I do not respond to any of the surveys that will get you a free dinner or something else for free. Early on, I deliberately changed my middle initial which later resulted in many many emails which proved that my information was sold. Not anymore. I just toss the survey request.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Re: but I see it in the younger members of my family too. Bad grammar, shortcut words when texting, and face to face conversation almost always will contain a referral to some information from somewhere on social media site....may not be correct, but they swear by it!
When the kids and grands are here, we have a rule that no one can be on their phone/Ipad/tablet/ when we are having dinner, or gathered talking/opening gifts etc. Met with resistance at times, but they survive!!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
When the kids and grands are here, we have a rule that no one can be on their phone/Ipad/tablet/ when we are having dinner, or gathered talking/opening gifts etc. Met with resistance at times, but they survive!!
Good for you!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Wise idea! My DH and I have decided no more YouTube during dinner. We don't want our children to grow up needing constant entertainment.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
This happens to me all the time too, no matter what I was looking at on Amazon.

In the Mail article it mentions FB can tell if a user is planning to move, etc. I don't have FB. But the other week I was on the Penseke moving website, just browsing at what options of rental trucks they have for moving. For at least a week I got Penseke moving ads. Its not just FB. Everyone does it.
i don't shop amazon, ebay ..am not a member or visitor of fb, don't patronize any google sites ..but when i shop for yarn on net i am getting ads for fave yarn site on every other site i visit. read the full article that was linked here. and please understand it's not just fb. it's google, facebook, yahoo any of them that do online advertising ...and they all do! it's how they support their business activities in the net. it's part of the takeover attemps in years past of yahoo by google etcetcetc. it's been going on for years and years. the sites themselves have access, as noted in the daily mail article, to your isp number and any other info that you allow by allowing access to third party cookies. if you deny access to third party cookies, as i do, then you get "warnings" from all the pages you visit re: blocked third party cookies and how you should enable them. i don't. i ignore the the threats and warnings ..so far no access denied, pc or ipad haven't blown up.
the internet is a dangerous and invasive place to wander, shop & play. there are ways to limit access via blocking third party cookies ..but you will still be subject to invasive monitoring by facebook, yahoo, whatever ..especially google! via site access to your isp number ..and there's few ways to block that.

Last edited by roguequilter; 03-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.