Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met..................... >

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM

When it comes to the British Royalty, does being close enough to touch count?
The last time the "Queen Mum" visited Canada before her death, I was living in Toronto. I heard on the news that she was going to be doing a "walkabout" around noon, so headed on out. When she and the Lincoln Alexander (the governor general at the time) went past, she was so close I could have touched her (which is a STRICT no-no) I felt amazed by her, and continue to have the greatest respect for her and how she handled her life.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Last Christmas Susan Sarandon was shopping at our local Market In Pound Ridge NY (where she lives) with her daughter. Every employee was running around for her to let her know they were working on her orders...She ignored everyone around her...Same with David Hartman I was on an elevator with him abt 15 yrs ago...And the look alone told me not to say anything to him...
Literly ran into Jon Voight in NYC and he was so nice. He was coming out of a doorway and I was walking down a hall.
But the nicest person ever is Regis...Myfriends and I would go into the city to his show twice a yr. He always chatted with the audiance during commercials but not Kathi Lee...she'd redo her makeup...Kelly was nice and chatted.
But after one show he announced to anyone in the audience who had a camera he'd stay and take pictures...He did and we 4 were the last ones to have our picture taken with him, the place had emptied out so he took extra time and chatted with us, he's just town to earth a regular guy...so nice
Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Peter Yarrow....from Peter, Paul and Mary. I first met him at an education conference in southern California. We chatted briefly (I'm talking 5 minutes) at the end of his presentation on his and his daughter's anti-bullying campaign. Almost a year later I ran into him at an annual event that John Garamendi (then our state's insurance commissioner, now a congressman) holds. He was performing at the event. He actually remembered me and we had a great talk. He took my daughter, who was 4 at that time up on the stage with him and with her sitting on his lap sang "My Wonderful Toy". We've seen him almost every year since at this event and he remembers us and comes right over and talks to us. Such a nice, sweet, gentle man.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Famous quilters I have met - Bonnie Hunter and Charlotte Angotti. Joe Cunningham is coming to our guild in a few months.

Most famous non-quilter I've met- Gil Meche - he was a Major League pitcher for Seattle and Kansas City, recently retired. He is the same age as my oldest son and lived down the street from us from the day he was born. From T-ball to high school, he was always on the All-Star team. He was drafted to the pros right out of high school.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Quilt-wise, I've met quite a few celebrities. Esp if you get to go to the big shows. Eleanor Burns, Billie Lauder, Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms. (his retreat is in the town my Dad grew up in: LaVeta CO). All great people. I did get to meet George and Barbara Bush, that was inspiring.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I once was on a crowded elevator with John Ritter and started freaking out b/c I was so excited! It was at the Waldorf Astoria of all places.Our arms were touching, that's how crowded it was! He was so cute. My husband joked that I didn't get out too often and John Ritter cracked up.
It was a great experience. When we got off the elevator his father, Tex, was waiting for him.
I also sat next to James Earl Jones on a plane once. He is an imposing presence- very kind when I asked for his autograph :)
Looked like he was reading a script.
I met 2 of the Kennedys- Rose and Robert when I was little- that was really exciting!

I think the most exciting for me was meeting Eric Clapton- WOW!!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM

I met Gordon Lightfoot in chicago before his concert. We were wasting time in the hotel lobby and he walked down the stairs and past us. My ex-husband called to him and ran after him and he stopped to talk. I caught up (I was 8 months pregnant at the time!) and he was very friendly. My ex-husband was a musician and they hit it off right away. He invited us back stage after the concert, but we didn't go. My ex didn't want to be a pesty fan. I also met Bob Crane from Hogan's Heros before a play he was in. What a nice guy he was.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Politically I have met Bill Clinton--spoken to him and gotten an autograph. Technically President Obama--I was at a small rally (about 400 people) while he was still a state senator and he wasnt famous yet. I was probably 50 feet away from the stage. I did not get into the receiving line because it was so long. Nice guy but I had some place to be. Big mistake. Mrs. Obama is very pretty. She is the one I actually met. I will tell you how long ago this was....it was $25 donation to attend and that included lunch with dessert. I dont think that happens now.

I also grew up in the hometown of Ronald Reagan. Although I never met him, most people in town did because he came back a couple times a year. I happened to be away at college for his whole first term. Then I moved during his second term.

I dont get to meet anybody but my hubby seems to. Alot of athletes. He ran into both Michael Jordan and Andy Williams on golf courses while we were on vacation. He golfed with Andy.

He worked the Salt Lake City and Greek Olympics so he met a ton of athletes. He was working for the international committee so he worked only those athletes whose countries could not send medical teams. But he did end up working on a few medalists from some obscure countries.

Then he worked behind the scenes for the RiverDance while it was in Chicago.

Man, I need to think about our marriage....he gets to do ALL the fun stuff!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

my family actually bought Mr. Garamendi's house in Mokelumne Hill from him when he sold it. the place was beautiful! it was 2500 sq ft of redwood and glass with 2600 sq ft of redwood decking around the house. they sold it a couple of years later and moved to Lodi to be closer to work. About 15 years ago i took my husband up there to show him the house, and to my dismay it had burned down. such a shame!! i know no one famous, but is it safe to say my distant relatives are the Dalton Gang?? wooo!! :)
Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Peter Yarrow....from Peter, Paul and Mary. I first met him at an education conference in southern California. We chatted briefly (I'm talking 5 minutes) at the end of his presentation on his and his daughter's anti-bullying campaign. Almost a year later I ran into him at an annual event that John Garamendi (then our state's insurance commissioner, now a congressman) holds. He was performing at the event. He actually remembered me and we had a great talk. He took my daughter, who was 4 at that time up on the stage with him and with her sitting on his lap sang "My Wonderful Toy". We've seen him almost every year since at this event and he remembers us and comes right over and talks to us. Such a nice, sweet, gentle man.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Kas

Well, I went to highschool with Kim Dickens who played the English teacher in "The Blind Side". She has been in lots of other things, but I haven't seen them. We don't have cable tv. We called her "Roo". I also went to highschool and used to date Ned Vaughn who played the sonar guy in training in "Hunt for Red October". He was also a regular on "China Beach", had parts in "21 Jump Street", "NCIS", and he was one of the Mission Control engineers in "Apollo 13". He has red hair and freckles if you want to look for him!