Feeding the Homeless/Needy

Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 AM

I would be donating basic fare so that the adults and children have an adequate diet.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 AM

I stick to the basics, soup, cereal, peanut butter, pasta sauce, canned pastas, and always buy what is on sale to make my money go further.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 AM

I checked with our food shelf and asked if it would be better to give them cash. They can buy food for much less than I can and also fill in where they have need.For a $10 donation they were able to purchase a case (24 cans) of food. Just a thought.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

BLESS YOU AND OTHERS THAT ARE ABLE TO HELP THIS YEAR. mY PERSONAL THOUGHTS ARE: IF i AFFORD MYSELF THE LUXERY OF SEWING, CRAFTING AND QUILTING i CAN GIVE UP A TRIP TO jOaNNS, hOBBY lOBBY ETC AND DONATE SOME CANNED TuNA, CHICKEN (oops, sorry bout the caps, ) beans etc. 2-3 times in the fall and again at the holidays. I don't have a large stash but I'm pretty certain that nobody in my family will panic if they wait 2 months for a quilt or placemats.lol and the suggestion of pet food is a good one. sometimes even the homeless will have a stray that hangs around.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM

Good morning. I give a gift card as they can purchase more than I ever could. It doesn't need to be a large amount. We must help our brothers and sisters in need.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM

I will donate cash. Often food shelters are able to purchase what they need at a big discount. Everybody wins this way.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 AM

When i volunteered at a food bank. We asked people to try to donate something they could make a meal from. Like a large can of tuna a bag of noodles and a can of cream of chicken soup to make a cassorole with. It's kind of you to remember the needy in these hard time.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Things they usually do not get are canned meats, tuna, chicken, corned beef, ham. Meat is the thing they can not afford. Pasta pasta sauce with meat, powdered milk.
Agree on this one, canned meats it's whats most needed. Usually everyone gives green beans, pasta and tomato sauce, ramen noodles etc..

I'll give differently like the meats and fruits. I know everyone is on a budget nowadays, including myself. So in just giving one canned good, it's still better than not giving at all.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Does it have to be food? What about diapers and formula and baby food. We had a really rough spell last winter and had to use the food bank. My DD couldn't afford these items for her baby and it takes time to get the government assistance IF you qualify.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Our food pantry prefers that we give money since they can get meat (frozen) and cerl much cheaper from the Northern Illinois food bank.

Any time I get coupons for a free item and I know I won't use it, I still get the product and the donate it to the food drives. I also get samples that I give to the food drives.