Finally, victory!

Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
So sorry to hear of the murder of innocent creatures. Capital punishment for being seen. I lived with 4 black widows in Africa. I knew where they lived and we got along fine.
I usually leave spider be, except Black Widows when they are in a place I might accidentally get bitten. Then its survival, and one of us has to go. As far as what they refer to as "unnecessary carnage" on the What's That Bug? website, I don't just squish things willynilly. I saw a beautiful fat female Preying Mantis on the front porch as I left work the other day, and someone had squashed her. It made me so sad!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Where do you live?
Sacramento, Ca. Just north of where Wildyard grew up.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
The web of a Brown Recluse spider is also distinctive to the touch. I could trap a Brown Recluse every day in my mixing bowls. I put them down the sink followed by boiling hot water. Yet, I'd get another one the next morning. I don't think I ever ran through all the spiders, so I moved and did not take them with me.

Normally I don't mind a spider, but after seeing a lesion caused by a brown recluse which is flesh eating, I now must have my house spider free.

I majored in entomology in college. Go figure.....
I was a Landscape Architecture major, and I saw the weirdest looking centipede one night. I stalked the coffee house until I saw someone with an entymology shirt on so I could ask what it was. I went up to him and aked if he was an Entymology major. He said, "Well, a Post doc, why?" Lol, he wouldn't have been so stuffy if he'd known that I had no idea what a post doc even was at the time. I had to go ask a friend of mine who was getting her Dr degree what it was. Anyway, it ended up being a house centipede, about the most common one there is. But not in my life! When I was a child I wanted to be an Entymologist, so I'm a little bit jealous.

I waited on a woman in a wheel chair whose foot was all swathed in a huge bandage. She was bitten by a Brown Recluse in her BED!!!! right here in Sacramento. Ended up in a coma and almost lost her foot. Sh, sh, sh, shudder!!! I've never seen one of those and I really hope I don't. I have seen widows with a 1/2" diameter abdomen, out in the garden. I can grow some whoppers around here, lol.