Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Firemen collecting money on the street >

Firemen collecting money on the street

Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 AM

I give when I can and do not when I can not.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 AM

when in college (about a million yrs ago) I had a class where one of the assignments was to have groups of 3 do reports on local charities / charities that operated in the community and then give class presentations.
My group had to do the Salvation Army. After the reports were given, I now give to local animal shelters and the Salvation Army.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 AM

We have people standing in the street all the time. Recently, the law was changed and they are required to have a permit (too many scammers out there).
They collect for anything (church youth groups, animal shelters). My favorite and most historic here in Louisville is for the Crusade for Children (Kosair Children Charities). It's local and a very worthwhile cause.
BUT, I don't give to anyone else standing on the street.

Don't forget that it's Labor Day coming up and therefore the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM

I don't mind, I give is I have a few $1.00's if I have some with me. Our firemen are kind of cute so it's fun to watch their face light up with a smile
Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 AM

From an ex-firefighter's point of view:These "Boot drops" are done purely by volunteers who are firefighters. We look forward to this every year as our chance to meet our community and give back. There is no obligation to add money to the boot.It is a large fund raiser and the utmost caution is used for both ourselves and the drivers. We always advertise in advance of when and where we will be and the reason for being there. This often gives people an alternative for donation when they are too busy to donate by mail or in other ways.I think we could all spare a little change for a good cause. Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 AM

I don't mind if they set up in a parking lot. But they should not be in the street. If you or I did it we would get busted. I also don't like the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas. I always feel guilty saying no but we have less money than a lot of the people they are helping. We just don't beg. One year we had not one dime for Christmas. Suddenly $300 showed up on my DH's desk at work. There was a note but no name. We had a nice Christmas that year.

I give when I can but I want it to be my choice. Not feel guilted into giving.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Hello, I do not mind, they are doing good things for those in need.Our firemen in Canada also do this fund raiser,and I am always glad to help out.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I always investigate a charity before I give - I checked out MDA on charitynavigator -doesn't look like one I would give to. Gets two out of 4 stars, the head of the MDA makes $373,000 a year, you can check it out here

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4134

I'm sure they do a lot of good but I wish there was a way you could just donate to an individual in need, without having it filtered through all the administrative layers of the organization, with each one taking a cut.
WOW! $27,000 more and he could be the president of the U.S. The U.S. Vice President only makes $221,000. Makes you stop and think...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:13 AM

My DH was firefighter in a community near StL. Every October they had a "Fill The Boot for MS". It was their big charity event of the year. The community was never without fire coverage during this time.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM

They do that every year around here, and it all goes to the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. It does make you kind of feel obligated, and I feel bad if I don't give them something, but sometimes you just can't. Just remember, with all the cars going through the intersection, not everybody is going to give, and they certainly aren't going to remember the ones that don't. Even if it makes you feel bad at the time, let it go, and don't let it bother you once you're gone from the intersection.