flash flood in Arkansas

Old 06-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by redquilter
Oh my goodness - I just heard about a flash flood that killed about 10 people at a campsite. Hope all our friends here and their loved ones are OK. Prayers for those who didn't make it. Very sad.
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry! :-o
Sorry? For what? You're there and I'm here so you can give us a birds-eye view of what's going on and it's much appreciated. Just looked at your photos - it's such an unreal tragedy. One wonders how something like this could happen. These freakish acts of nature are just unbelievable. I can feel your anguish - having gone through 9/11. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

A couple more pics after the water went down.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84472.jpe   attachment-84473.jpe  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes, I agree with redquilter, thanks for keeping us updated. My husband have been following this thread closely.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM

It is such a nightmare. My hubby is from California and is not familiar with 'flash' floods that produce a wall of water. I grew up in Sanderson Tx and a 'flash' flood came through there in the 60s and nearly washed it away. That kind of flooding takes people completely by surprise. My heart goes out to all of the people who were caught in that situation. Will continue praying for the families that have suffered such great tragedy.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Now they are say 12 dead, many still trapped and missing. They have set up a refrigerated truck for a temporary morgue. :cry:
Thank you for being there for us. I cannot imagine waking up under those circumstances ! It never ceases to amaze me how Mother Nature can be so extreme.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Banned

Last night a survivor said it was like a huge wave all of a sudden.......like at a water park.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 AM

Marsye, I want to thank you for going to the trouble to keep us all informed about what's really happening. Sometimes the news media just isn't informative or focuses on one tiny sliver that they think they can get the most emotional response from. Since you are so close we can get an honest appraisal and info. Your pictures give us a real view of just how devastating this was. My prayers are with all the families that have been effected by this tragedy. Flash flooding here in the flatlands just means that some of the low lying roads might be flooded, the rivers get high, that it's easy to hydroplane on the highways or that you might get water in your basement---NEVER the "wall of water" or raging torrent that these people experienced.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 AM

Yesterday the neighbors set up and filled their above ground swimming pool. 4:30 this morning I am on the deck enjoying my coffee when I heard the sound of whooose, it quickly became a loud, roaring whooooose. I thought it might be a tornado with no thunder, lightning, wind. It was fast and so loud it hurt my ears. The neighbors pool had tilted and was emptying.
What must the sound have been like for those poor people in the dark of night. Sheer terror. Such a tragedy./Dorothy
Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
Marsye, I want to thank you for going to the trouble to keep us all informed about what's really happening. Sometimes the news media just isn't informative or focuses on one tiny sliver that they think they can get the most emotional response from. Since you are so close we can get an honest appraisal and info. Your pictures give us a real view of just how devastating this was. My prayers are with all the families that have been effected by this tragedy. Flash flooding here in the flatlands just means that some of the low lying roads might be flooded, the rivers get high, that it's easy to hydroplane on the highways or that you might get water in your basement---NEVER the "wall of water" or raging torrent that these people experienced.
Albert Pike is one of our favorite places.It WAS an absolutely gorgeous place. We were there just a few days ago and I wish I had taken pictures because I don't think anything is left now but we take it for granted because we live here and see it all the time. It really won't sink in until we actually get to get in there to see it and that may be months or longer! There were several roads into it but now they say there is only one way in and one way out. Vehicles were parked for 5 miles or more yesterday. There is a small lake south of AP a few miles and they think bodies could have been washed down that far because the water was that swift. Yesterday when we went by this lake there were probably 300 boats out there. It was amazing! In fact its amazing how many people are there near the campground searching, feeding people, helping anyway they can! Who needs FEMA!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

This makes me never want to go camping near a creek again. I've thinking about all the times in Ca that we went camping on Mammoth mountain at Britz camp ground, it has a creek much like the one in Arkansas running thru it. I never imagined something like this could happen until now.