fleas

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

had to have the exterminator come in several times. they set off bombs and then come back in several weeks to do it again due to eggs that have hatched.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM

I lived in Florida for 10 years, and my pets never had fleas. One cat had asthma, so sprays and bombs were out of the question. Vigilence was the key. That and what was "roach" powder --- plain old boric acid. Sprinkled on the carpets, worked in good with a stiff broom, then vacuum up 2 days later. It kills both the fleas and the eggs, but needs to be repeated about every 10 days for about a month and a half. Then, once they're gone, I did the process maybe once every 3 months or so. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM

I just ordered two flea traps from Home Depot that is suppose to work good. Light with a sticky pad on it. They are 12.49 a piece but if they work it will be worth it as they are driving us and babies (dogs) nuts.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 PM

we use advantage from the vet and also on carpet sprinkle and rub in some baking soda also around the wall where the wall and carpet meet.Borax can be used too. also we used lemon juice as a rinse when they got a bath. the soda burns the fleas and the borax suffocates them and they don't like lemon good luck
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM

I have two min pins and never had fleas when my breeder told me to put garlic powder on their food not much, fleas don't go on dogs that eat garlic and I also sprinkle team borax laundry detergent on the rug and along baseboards leave for 1 hour in rug then vacuum what is left will kill anything that crawls on carpet including ants spiders etc. push it under baseboards and leave it there for a week put fresh amount every week till you don't see any more it kills eggs too that's where they hide. It's safe for kids and dogs too.I got this tip from Jerry Baker I have ants in the summer and put this in the door way and along baseboards and they go away. This year I put it there before the ants came and haven't had any this year. You can put it on ant hills too but it will kill the grass if left to long. I don't use chemicals on the dogs or in my yard not healthy for you or the dog or your kids. My oldest dog is 11 and my other is 6 so that's my story and I'm sticking to it....check out Jerry Bakers website for tips....
Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

the only way we got rid of them was to have an exterminator come in and spray they sprayed inside the house and around the outside had them come every year and no more fleas or ticks
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Nothing this year on my cat, last year plain misery, I give her the liquid on back of neck just from walmart, then I bought the spray bottle for flees, I combed my cat every night last year and every flee went into the garbage with a spray on it or them. Got that from my neighbor and with in 2 weeks every thing was clear.
They are nasty to get rid of and I just hate the fleas.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Sevins dust. You can dust animals with it without any ill effects too.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM

frontline on the cat -no problems because he never goes outside. Vet said treat him because you bring the fleas in on your clothes and they jump on him. so bombed the house and treated him-no more fleas. Yeah!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM

4 years ago I had an indoor only cat who got fleas. The vet said that we must have carried them it. They jump onto anything coming into the home. We stopped walking across the grass to go to the mailbox just in case they jumped back on us.
Each time you vaccumn make sure that you empty it. Take the vaccumn and empty it far away from the house. Also, make sure you give them a good flea bath.
Good luck.