Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flylady/Decluttering Anyone? >

Flylady/Decluttering Anyone?

Flylady/Decluttering Anyone?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Never heard of flylady before this thread....went to website.....well I guess I should get a gold star or something...I make my bed every morning, get dressed and shoed--unless ill-,cannot go to bed at nite unless kitchen sink et al is clean- nothing worse than waking up to a messy kitchen - especially when one has to make the coffee there. The one thing I do not do, nor never have, even when kids were home is do a batch of laundry daily....My laundry day is Monday, generally, Tuesday used to be ironing day...but nowadays that can be incorporated w/laundry on Monday thanks to wash n wear. So, I don't think I need Flylady....just a swift push to be more organized in my sewing cave!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
I'm very curious about Flylady's system/techniques, but I've searched and can't find anything about her.
Are there message posts or a link that explains?
http://www.flylady.net/ I signed up and get the daily emails. What really helps me is the zones (what area of the house you are in for any given week) and 15 minutes of decluttering (spend 15 mins cleaning up an area).
Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I've read her---and re-read her--but have yet to "devote" the time...gotta admit---sounds good!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 AM

I haven't followed the Flylady. Sounds like a good system. I do make myself do a certain amount of cleaning every day before I allow myself to sew. Makes me get things don. My sewing room is currently out of control so i have added a new chore to my list. I make myself clean up a minimum of 20 things in my sewing room before I sit down to sew. It is looking better already.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Well, I went on line and read some...did not see the link to get her newsletters. Cleaned off my dining room table which is our catch-all from the garage and shined up the sink until it does sparkle. Took out the drainer and dried the sink...did all of this and did not clean clutter from counters...so I have work to do. I am going to work on getting better. I cannot even think about cleaning my sewing room....uhhhh!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:11 PM

I began years ago when they wrote their first book.. The "Sidetracked Home Executives, from pigpen to paradise." By Pam Young and Peggy Jones.. It changed my life when that book came out. I was newly married, working a full time job and my house was a mess. I had been raised in a house that was a horrible mess so didn't really know how to go about getting it cleaned or keeping it clean. It was perfect timing for me.

I began following the principles in the book, had my card file and used it, and in time my house did actually go from a pigpen to clean.. It was wonderful. I have used that method for so long that I just do them without thinking. I love a house that I can open the door anytime and feel comfortable inviting people in.

Once you understand the method and practice it, it doesn't take long at all to have the home you want. I taught my daughter at a time when she was overwhelmed with trying to keep her house under control, and her house is also tidy and well maintained. I had tried to teach it to her before that time, but she was not ready and didn't want to bother.. That's fine.. When she needed help at least she came to me and asked, I was happy to help.

I am not the least bit bothered by mess or clutter, unless it's my responsibility and my mess.. So I can enjoy anyone and feel fine in the biggest mess anyone has. It's only my mess that bothers me.. I'm grateful to have learned this method so many years ago, it's given me years of being able to keep my home the way I like it. Please note, I have not said that either my daughter or I keep a perfect home.. But perfect was never my goal... each of us only needs to find the level that we're comfortable with and nothing more.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 AM

I have tried several systems, and for example never go up or down stairs without moving something that needs to move, but my house still looks awful. How to get everyone who lives here to sign up?!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 AM

Judie, I loved the SHE sisters, too, and as a young mom of three children under 4, I learned how to get my home and life under control. Two things I remember from them: they UNDERSTOOD that I wanted my home organized, but didn't know how to(something my mom never got about me) and to set the standards for orderliness yourself. Fly lady has good ideas, too and built on their foundation. The 15minute work sessions are very effective, for me.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:02 AM

You really got me thinking with this post. I followed Flylady years ago when I was still working. I need to go to her site again because when I was following her methods I really had a clean organized house. Just have to find the time to do it!
Thanks to all for getting me to think about this. Who knows maybe this time next year my house will be clean and organized once again!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 AM

I also moved my shredding machine into my front entry way. I was always having things that I wanted to go thru or wanted to shred but didn't want to do it "then". Now I have it there and anything with my name on it goes into it and it has really helped declutter. Plus, my 7yr old loves to put things in the shredder and with it in site I can have him do it and not wait until I can go out into the other room and supervise it. I also keep a large vinyl shopping bag in my bedroom and as I'm putting things away I'm adding to it. I have worked hard this yr to declutter. I rid of hundreds of books, some read others never would. Now If I want a book or magazine I put it on my Nook tablet. The rare occasion that I buy a magazine I take it to work and share and then it is history. It's amazing how fast papers, books and magazines can pile up; most unread. I try to use the rule of thinking of the last time I used something or if I use it enough to make it worth it taking up space. I just gave my small mixer to my daughter because I rarely use it now and have a big on if I need to mix something. I know that once I put something in a get rid of bag I have to get rid of it right away or it'll manage to get back into the house. That's the problem when you give yourself a chance to second guess something.