Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Food saver canisters?

Banned

Food saver canisters?

I just got a foodsaver with the canisters and want to find more..wondered if anyone knew where you can buy them reasonably..

Sorry, I can't help you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Foodsaver.com is where we buy them. Very reasonable on price and shipping. They quite often have items on sale and sometimes offer free shipping.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    Foodsaver.com is where we buy them. Very reasonable on price and shipping. They quite often have items on sale and sometimes offer free shipping.
    Thanks will watch for sales thru them

Blog Entries
    Amazon.

If you want bags, the best bargain I found was at web restuarant.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    If you want bags, the best bargain I found was at web restuarant.com
    Will check. Thanks!

After a while the canisters lose their seal and Food Saver won't replace it.
    Can't even buy the seal. Bummer. Now I only use canning jars but you must have
    the attachment for this. Look for the Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer.

I have some I don't use. I'd gladly send them to you.

Blog Entries
    I have found them at my Wal-Mart.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by didi View Post
    I have found them at my Wal-Mart.
    our walmart didnt have them and what they did have was so high $$

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish View Post
    I just got a foodsaver with the canisters and want to find more..wondered if anyone knew where you can buy them reasonably..
    I don't know if your setting is the same as mine, but an ad for their official website is right above this thread. Coincidence?
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Go to www.QVC.com food storage (Lock and Lock) They have the storage containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish View Post
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    I don't know if your setting is the same as mine, but an ad for their official website is right above this thread. Coincidence?
    yeah that is weird I got it too

Sign up for emails from http://www.foodsaver.com/. They run lots of specials and have really good deals.
    brenda

There is a web site on the box that it came in. Try that. I have a food saver and only use the bags.do not like the canisters. Just to big for my tiny freezer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marymay View Post
    There is a web site on the box that it came in. Try that. I have a food saver and only use the bags.do not like the canisters. Just to big for my tiny freezer.
    The canisters are ideal for none freezer storage....

Blog Entries
    Walmart use to have them ????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiebug View Post
    Walmart use to have them ????
    I checked 2 walmarts and none..

I got a few at target. I know Kohls carries them, nice if you get their %- off coupons by mail. Using mason jars with the special attachment is great, use them for dry-pantry storage.
    I love my food saver, I am on my third one ( literally wore my first two out!) so many useful uses besides food storage.

Banned
    I had a 30% coupon but seems kohls does not have them here

We have had a Food Saver for several years and never found the canisters cumbersome to use and not very useful. We also don't use very many of their expensive rolls of bags, except for frozen meat. However, I keep the Food Saver out on the counter and use it several times a week to reseal everything from potato chip bags, most of the bags that frozen vegetables come in, the bags that chocolate chips come in, and several other similar things. It's not suitable for the softer poly bags, such as bread wrappers, but anything that is made of the mylar type plastics works great, as well as the type that line cereal and cracker boxes. I didn't think I needed this machine until a friend gave us his extra because he was upgrading to a newer one. I would really miss it if we didn't have it now! It makes a much better seal than twisties and clips.

By the way, I'm not using the vacuum function with those types of bags and wouldn't expect it to work except with their specially designed products. Certainly there is a use for those things, too. I've heard that you can even use them to vacuum seal fabric for long term storage, but I haven't tried that. I'd have to leave a lot of headroom for resealing because just as soon as I got something packed away I'd find a use for it!

One other use is repairing the holes that often occur in grocery bags. I know we're supposed to not get those bags, but what else would I be using for cat litter gleanings and doggy pick-ups and to line bathroom wastebaskets? I like re-purposing the bags, but obviously holes would not be good, and more than half of them seem to come with holes. I see people buying plastic bags for this kind of thing and carrying them home in lovely fabric totes, and I wonder how that could be any more environmentally friendly than what I do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    We have had a Food Saver for several years and never found the canisters cumbersome to use and not very useful. We also don't use very many of their expensive rolls of bags, except for frozen meat. However, I keep the Food Saver out on the counter and use it several times a week to reseal everything from potato chip bags, most of the bags that frozen vegetables come in, the bags that chocolate chips come in, and several other similar things. It's not suitable for the softer poly bags, such as bread wrappers, but anything that is made of the mylar type plastics works great, as well as the type that line cereal and cracker boxes. I didn't think I needed this machine until a friend gave us his extra because he was upgrading to a newer one. I would really miss it if we didn't have it now! It makes a much better seal than twisties and clips.

By the way, I'm not using the vacuum function with those types of bags and wouldn't expect it to work except with their specially designed products. Certainly there is a use for those things, too. I've heard that you can even use them to vacuum seal fabric for long term storage, but I haven't tried that. I'd have to leave a lot of headroom for resealing because just as soon as I got something packed away I'd find a use for it!

One other use is repairing the holes that often occur in grocery bags. I know we're supposed to not get those bags, but what else would I be using for cat litter gleanings and doggy pick-ups and to line bathroom wastebaskets? I like re-purposing the bags, but obviously holes would not be good, and more than half of them seem to come with holes. I see people buying plastic bags for this kind of thing and carrying them home in lovely fabric totes, and I wonder how that could be any more environmentally friendly than what I do.
    Thanks so much for the tips!

Wal Mart does carry them in the Housewares department.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    Wal Mart does carry them in the Housewares department.
    They do carry foodsaver and zip lock brand bags and the actual foodsaver gadgt but not the canisters..at least not at the 2 I went to...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast