Food saver canisters?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

I had a 30% coupon but seems kohls does not have them here
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM

We have had a Food Saver for several years and never found the canisters cumbersome to use and not very useful. We also don't use very many of their expensive rolls of bags, except for frozen meat. However, I keep the Food Saver out on the counter and use it several times a week to reseal everything from potato chip bags, most of the bags that frozen vegetables come in, the bags that chocolate chips come in, and several other similar things. It's not suitable for the softer poly bags, such as bread wrappers, but anything that is made of the mylar type plastics works great, as well as the type that line cereal and cracker boxes. I didn't think I needed this machine until a friend gave us his extra because he was upgrading to a newer one. I would really miss it if we didn't have it now! It makes a much better seal than twisties and clips.

By the way, I'm not using the vacuum function with those types of bags and wouldn't expect it to work except with their specially designed products. Certainly there is a use for those things, too. I've heard that you can even use them to vacuum seal fabric for long term storage, but I haven't tried that. I'd have to leave a lot of headroom for resealing because just as soon as I got something packed away I'd find a use for it!

One other use is repairing the holes that often occur in grocery bags. I know we're supposed to not get those bags, but what else would I be using for cat litter gleanings and doggy pick-ups and to line bathroom wastebaskets? I like re-purposing the bags, but obviously holes would not be good, and more than half of them seem to come with holes. I see people buying plastic bags for this kind of thing and carrying them home in lovely fabric totes, and I wonder how that could be any more environmentally friendly than what I do.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
We have had a Food Saver for several years and never found the canisters cumbersome to use and not very useful. We also don't use very many of their expensive rolls of bags, except for frozen meat. However, I keep the Food Saver out on the counter and use it several times a week to reseal everything from potato chip bags, most of the bags that frozen vegetables come in, the bags that chocolate chips come in, and several other similar things. It's not suitable for the softer poly bags, such as bread wrappers, but anything that is made of the mylar type plastics works great, as well as the type that line cereal and cracker boxes. I didn't think I needed this machine until a friend gave us his extra because he was upgrading to a newer one. I would really miss it if we didn't have it now! It makes a much better seal than twisties and clips.

By the way, I'm not using the vacuum function with those types of bags and wouldn't expect it to work except with their specially designed products. Certainly there is a use for those things, too. I've heard that you can even use them to vacuum seal fabric for long term storage, but I haven't tried that. I'd have to leave a lot of headroom for resealing because just as soon as I got something packed away I'd find a use for it!

One other use is repairing the holes that often occur in grocery bags. I know we're supposed to not get those bags, but what else would I be using for cat litter gleanings and doggy pick-ups and to line bathroom wastebaskets? I like re-purposing the bags, but obviously holes would not be good, and more than half of them seem to come with holes. I see people buying plastic bags for this kind of thing and carrying them home in lovely fabric totes, and I wonder how that could be any more environmentally friendly than what I do.
Thanks so much for the tips!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Power Poster

Wal Mart does carry them in the Housewares department.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
Wal Mart does carry them in the Housewares department.
They do carry foodsaver and zip lock brand bags and the actual foodsaver gadgt but not the canisters..at least not at the 2 I went to...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 AM

Gosh, I use our food saver constantly. I have put fabric in them. When my MIL founder wedding gown from 1923, the fabric was still intact, but the lace was destroyed. Her granddaughter wanted to wear the dress for her own wedding, but time took that away. I took the dress apart and made a pattern from it. We found lace almost exactly like the original. When the new dress was done, I took the original ( though in pieces) and sealed it. I also did the silk veil. I gave those to my SIL. Even if the dress is not really there, the fabric and history is.
I also packed a change of clothing when camping, for the time when everything gets wet.
I pack dry pantry items such as nuts, brown sugar, beans, etc. I have put "powder items" (sugar, etc) in a ziplock bag then into the food saver bag. Keeps the contents from "blowing" around the bag.
We also use the wide mouth jar attachment to pack jars with other pantry items. We even packed lettuce for salad in a large jar. Took it camping and it lasted a week in the fridge ( we camp in a motor home-that is rough enough for me!). We are going out next week and I think I am going to try to pack the ingredients for the complete salad, just to see how it works.
I am thinking about getting another one just for our motor home, since we travel quite a bit and finding fresh items on the road, I can "save" that freshness for a little longer.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Gosh, I use our food saver constantly. I have put fabric in them. When my MIL founder wedding gown from 1923, the fabric was still intact, but the lace was destroyed. Her granddaughter wanted to wear the dress for her own wedding, but time took that away. I took the dress apart and made a pattern from it. We found lace almost exactly like the original. When the new dress was done, I took the original ( though in pieces) and sealed it. I also did the silk veil. I gave those to my SIL. Even if the dress is not really there, the fabric and history is.
I also packed a change of clothing when camping, for the time when everything gets wet.
I pack dry pantry items such as nuts, brown sugar, beans, etc. I have put "powder items" (sugar, etc) in a ziplock bag then into the food saver bag. Keeps the contents from "blowing" around the bag.
We also use the wide mouth jar attachment to pack jars with other pantry items. We even packed lettuce for salad in a large jar. Took it camping and it lasted a week in the fridge ( we camp in a motor home-that is rough enough for me!). We are going out next week and I think I am going to try to pack the ingredients for the complete salad, just to see how it works.
I am thinking about getting another one just for our motor home, since we travel quite a bit and finding fresh items on the road, I can "save" that freshness for a little longer.
I just tried sealing a cereal bag and it worked great!! This really is a great gadget!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish View Post
I just tried sealing a cereal bag and it worked great!! This really is a great gadget!!
That is why I thought about getting a second one for my motor home. Nothing like stale cereal for breakfast and stale chips for lunch! Thought about the lower end prices one. I pre pack all our food for our trips, freeze what needs to be frozen. I even pre cook items like pasta, cool, add a touch of olive oil, then pack. I only remove part of the air, since it squishes the pasta too much. Great for Mac-n-cheese.
Our fridge and freezer in the motor home is usually pretty full for our trips, but sometimes we are out 2 or 3 weeks, and being able to buy fresh items is so nice. Roadside farmers markets in the summer is exciting.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Banned

Wow you are a pro with this...I will keep you in mind for tips if I need them ok?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM

We have been using a "generic" brand of bags that we purchased at Menard's (home improvement store.) I think they seal even better than the Food Saver bags, which we have had trouble with.