Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Four words that can change your life.

I understand needing to say no...I was raised to be a people pleaser...however, now that I am older...I find it a blessing to help others. Not the "users" out there...those who don't ask often are the ones in need. Balance is the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by It'sJustMe View Post
    My girlfriend says "I'm not so sure that would work for me"...or some variation. I think it's a most charming way to turn down even the most aggressive and annoying.
    I always say "That won't work for me".....I heard it on GMA once. It works!

I will try to take some of that to heart, as I too have a hard time saying no, then get mad at myself for saying yes!!
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

I retired this last June but promised my supervisor that I would sub. Mainly because I really liked her and know the stress she goes through to find a sub. Well, I like being retired and finally learned to say "I don't think so" or just plain "Not this time, thank you for thinking of me." However, I will be subbing for three days this week at less than 1/3 of my salary when I was full time! What was I thinking?????

I always say "I would love to!!!!! However I can't" Then I walk away or change the subject. I told my husband a few years ago, 'I did what everybody else wanted me to do for the first 45 years of my life, I will do what I want to do for the next 45 years.' And I've stuck to it for the most part.

Blog Entries
    After years of volunteering and reaching out to others for help (and being told "NO"..and saying "OK maybe you will be able to help next time.") I finally said "NO" and not only did the lady argue with me, she called back several times to see if I would change my mind! All that did was make me more sure I would not do what she asked! Don't get me wrong, I still volunteer but I am more selective now.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2