Fourth of July & Dogs

Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Pam

I live in a house full of target practice enthusiasts, some one is always shooting guns off around here. The chihuahua is under the chair quivering in fear, Spud does not care and the Aussie shepard is trying to break the windows to get out there, she wants to catch the bullets!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM

I would call your vet. My springer was terrified of thunder, riding in the car, etc my vet actually gave him valium worked wonders.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

My Rocky is not to keen on them either. He stands under the computer table between my legs, and looks at me as though I have the power to stop it. (this dog does not react to thunderstorms).
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I hate the Fourth of July. We live outside the

Did I already mention that I hate the night time celebration for the 4th of July?
Same here. I live in the country N. of a small town, and there is a stupid fireworks stand on the highway behind me. I spend many nights until these idiots fire their last , trying to calm the horses, and keep them from running through fences. Them and their customers "test" things by shooting them over the horse pasture. Of course, there are 4 sheriff deputies in the county, trying to cover 200+ miles. This year, we have had NO rain, here, and every blade of grass and weed is dead and dry as a bone....I would gladly celebrate the 4th if we could dump every fireworks stand in the Red River or Lake Texoma. By the 4th, every dog, cat and horse around are nervous wrecks. And I feel older and grumpier!!!! :thumbdown:
Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Fireworks are actually outlawed in our city. The city does put on a huge show at the High School Stadium.
I usually put my dogs in the house and they do great.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

As long as my mini-poodle Molly is in the house she is fine. Thank goodness. The birds however, screech until the fireworks stop.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM

I had to replace my screen door every year before the 4th...I had a German Shepard that was scared to death of the noise, and he was coming in the house if the door was closed or not! He just jumped through the screen...
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM

A friend of ours thought it would be a good idea to put his dog in the car so he wouldn't run off when the fireworks started. (It wasn't too hot). He came back about 90 minutes later and Jake had ripped out the upholstery in the back seat! Poor thing. Needless to say, the following years he took him with him far away from fireworks.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 PM

We have to put the girls in the garage and the shop on the 4th of July. The same with New Years Eve, and during thunderstorms.

Last year we had a neighbor yelling at us that he was going to call the police. Because our dogs were barking and carrying on because people in the neighborhood were lighting off fireworks. I am sure that if he did call them, they would have told him it's not an emergency and it is the 4th of July and to just deal with it.....lol
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM

I know a lady who spent her Fourth of Julys at Holiday Inn with her dog, a chow. She said the dog shivered and peed on herself when they fired off the items. My ex use to target practice or skeet shoot, and this dog of mine would hind under the car.....yep, I don't even like to hear baloons pop. Holiday Inn sounds like a great answer, to me. Passing the hat..........

Blessings,
Ruth