Fourth of July & Dogs

Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Google Goddess

my dog is scared of fireworks also
Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 AM

mrspete wrote: I know a lady who spent her Fourth of Julys at Holiday Inn with her dog,

I would certainly stay at the Holiday Inn, if it was only one night. Like someone else said, they start a week before and a week after. One year, I slept on the laundry room floor with my dogs. I had the exhaust fan, a portable fan, the dryer and a radio on, and of course, the aire conditioner running. Another year, I spent the night driving around on the freeway. As I said, if it was just the one night, I could do things to take care of it. I really feel bad for the animals that the owners don't have a clue how the furry ones are being effected by it. The ones that have to spend time outside and worse yet, tied to a tree or such. It makes me physically ill to think about those poor things. CraigsList will be full of lost dogs that 'got out during the fireworks'. KNOW YOUR ANIMALS AND TAKE CARE OF THEM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Pam
Call your vet to see if you can get a tranquilizer for your cutie pie. The same thing they give out for car sickness should have her feelin' mighty happy about Independance Day.
It doesn't work. You can't imagine how the noise just goes on and on here. I don't remember what it was that I got for Ruby, but she is so stressed, it doesn't have any effect until the next day and then she is like a zombie. Scared me to death to see her like that.
what if you gave it to her the day before the fourth so that on the fourth she would be more relaxed.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 AM

My three dogs are okay with fireworks now because i give them a big bone to chew on at the time. As for thunder, they used to freak but when i know there is a thunderstorm coming i rub them down with a dryer sheet....it stops the static electricity that effects dogs during lightning storms
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM

We have a Border Collie who absoutely freaks out when there are fireworks. He does not like thunderstorms and we always bring him in to our utility room when it thunders (and if we are not at home he will hide between our big grill and the house (on our covered porch). We always make it a point to be at home on the 4th and surrounding days and bring him inside.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM

the evening of the 4th is a horrible night, our dog hates the sound and the people next door must spend $$$$ on fireworks, you don't have to go anywhere to watch any, just look out the window, the dog doesn't leave your side, to make matters worse all of their fireworks go in our backyard, the next morning it looks like a war zone out there.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: didn't mean to post this 3 times lost my dial up :(
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Iowa only allows a certain class of fireworks...like sparklers and "snakes" that sort of thing
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM

I can totally relate to this. :( Iowa bans all fireworks but everyone goes to Missouri and spends tens of thousands of dollars and then use them for weeks before and after the 4th. Since they are illegal here...and some of the people in our neighborhood refuse to follow the state laws...:( I have 4 dogs that hate fireworks, storms, gun shots, etc... I end up having to call the local police and turning people in for this. I do not like to do this since I enjoy the shows just as much as anyone else, but lets all please obey the laws and leave others' pets in peace? !! :D