Freecycle

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Wow, you have got it made. Some cities and areas, and even condo developments, have regulations against this sort of thing. Home owners associations are pretty strict, too. When we lived within city limits, garbage day was a fun day because you could drive around and find all sort of treasures. I had a friend who was a Trash Picker and took things to the Flea Market on Saturday and sold them. I understand that is a new "job description" now the economy is so bad. Even our newspaper did a feature on those who find and sell items set out for trash. If you are finished with it, good way to get rid of it. But for those of us who cannot put things out, we can resort to Freecycle and hope those who respond will do so with a bit of courtesy. Have you noticed that younger people don't seem to have learned skills of courtesy?

So, however we do it - keeping things out of the landfill is what it is all about! Bravo for you and others like you. We are making a difference, one day at a time.

June in Cincinnati
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM

If I set stuff out it would still be here a week later. lol. We live out in the sticks and hardly anyone goes down our road.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM

I used to like..and use.. Freecycle. Then for some reason they split it into all the towns around Oklahoma city and now it's to confusing. But.. I have received a set in stove (elec) top to replace the one that died. And it work perfectly. I got a little chiwenie from a lady and he is now the DH's best friend.
I have given lots away and never had any problem. I now have a number of a lady and her husband, they have a second hand store and will pick up everything.
I guess the only thing that really gets my goat about Freecycle is sthe people looking for baby items. I can understand a sudden emergency, but to ask someone to furnish their nursery and all the clothes and diapers! I mean..gosh.. they have nine months to get everything together! Or maybe they are on that show "I didn't know I was pregnate."
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gale
If I set stuff out it would still be here a week later. lol. We live out in the sticks and hardly anyone goes down our road.
Same with us but when we lived in SoCal we set things out and they were usually gone within a half hour. Trash day too was fun to watch all the trucks driving around and when they did the annual neighborhood pickup, wow the truck population grew ten fold. At least it was all getting put to good use instead of ending up in the landfill.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I hate freecycle. I've had more no-shows than anything else. Even when I say please don't be a no-show and let me know if you can't make it, people don't show. I was giving away a nice wooden crib and after 3 no-shows, dh said forget it and threw it away. Maybe other people have better luck. Oh and the requests for video game systems (with games, please), working computers, cars (newish if possible), a whole house worth of furniture (not the cheap stuff), etc just bug me. lol
HOWEVER, if your freecycle isn't like mine then it's great. We have gotten rid of a couple of things without incident (literally two things, a pool and a back yard play castle/sandbox). So I guess it can be a very good thing too.

eta: I believe most freecycle groups are through yahoo groups. So go to groups dot yahoo dot com and look up your city or county and the word freecycle.
That is what most of ours are--games, tv's, furniture for homes, and a few have asked for cars, although so far the cars
have been just so they run!!