Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Front loaders - pedestal or not? >

Front loaders - pedestal or not?

Front loaders - pedestal or not?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 PM

I passed on buying a front loader because I was under the impression its best to leave the door ajar between loads and our laundry room is a pass-through room so I figured we'd be catching our legs on the open door all the time. I got the same old top load with agitator (stainless steel drum) and love it. Wet clothes smell so clean and it's fast. DD and DIL have the no agitator models and I guess they like it.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

I purchased front loaders with the pedestals several years ago when my 22 year old dryer finally could not be repaired any more. I am 5 ft 8 inches tall and there is no way that I could be bending down with as much laundry as I do. I do keep the washer door and drawer open...I just jam an old fingertip towel in the door. My laundry is a pass-through also and this works just fine.
I use the drawers for storage...can never have too much storage room.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:40 AM

I have a top loader that i really like. While i agree that all washing machines should probably be left open to air out, we live in the country and the occassional mouse visits the basement and no way do I want one of those critters surprising me! I use Affresh tablets once a month to clean and freshen my washer per my owners' manual and reccomendation by my local Maytag dealer.

Since the question had to do with the pedestal, that is a personal decision. My DH built a platform for our washer and dryer. It had to do with keeping them off if the basement floor just in case the basement had water seep in, etc. We paid $$$$ last year to have a French drain installed so we have not had any water issues since! Woot! Better safe than sorry. I am 5'2" and i dont have any problems reaching into my washer. And it is pretty deep. I need the excercise ! Stretching.

Sandy