Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

I love my front loader machine.

I go to Leslie Pool Supply, and buy the powdered Chlorine Bleach. I was getting spots on my colored loads after using liquid bleach, so I read about this and decided to try it. Never have turned back to using liquid bleach.

Only use 1/2 Tbsp, it is highly concentrated (for pools). I add it to the space (with the) detergent, and I've never had a problem with odor or mildew. I also keep the door open between uses. It's very important to never put the powdered bleach in the bleach dispenser.

It really does the trick and keeps the machine clean, and disinfects my whites.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I have a top loading machine and it is 26 years old. A Speed Queen. Don't think they make those anymore.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

OK, I read ALL the comments (so I wouldn't repeat something).. I LOVE MY FRONT LOAD, washer & dryer, will never have a top loader again. One thing I may suggest for cleaning, also good to use in wash, is Hydrogen Peroxide! Cheap and works wonders for cleaning & odors. I put some in an old spray bottle and ever so often I squirt it in and around & under the seal. I have never had odors - and it's ok for septic tanks. It works good for getting rid of the soap residue. You can pick it up at $ Tree or $ General, for 1.00. It also works for pet odors, removes stinky odors after cooking something potent...lolo Just food for thought.

Blog Entries
    Another hint check UNDER the rubber seal. Not just at the bottom
    but all the way around the underside of seal.

Just pull the seal back often to look for stray items, like a single sock,
    wash cloth, under ware, and other small items.

LOL ask me how I found to look under the.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I have had a front load washer for several years and have never had to clean it. Perhaps one of the reasons is, I never shut the door unless I am washing clothes, therefore the gasket dries out each time. Also, my husband has a sensitivity to soap left in clothes. The rashes aren't comfortable, so I rinse every load twiced.

I will say that you cannot soak clothes in a front load. Mine is very bad with bleach. You will get spots when the bleach is added to clothes. I gave up even buying bleach. Even the powdered bleach makes a mess. My next washer will be a top load, even though it will be hard for me to get everything out of the bottom of the tubs. Guess that's where hubby comes in and does his part.
    This isn't true of all of them. I've had my GE for several yrs. It has a soak feature on it which allows me to soak an extra hour beyond the normal was cycle, maybe longer never seen what would happen if I pushed the button twice. I've never had problems with bleach spots on my clothes. I always save my whites and do a load with bleach. If I need oxiclean I put it in with the clothes since I use liquid soap. I put vinegar in where the bleach goes if I need extra freshness in the water. You do have to be careful with color catchers and small items just with top loaders. I got a color catcher caught once and it was under warranty so I watched the guy and then yrs later when my machine had the same symptons, I went on you tube and found out how to do it and it was a mitten from my granddaughter. I love my front loader, gets clothes clean, less water and has all of the features that others complain it doesn't have. I would love to have the drawers that go under it but I have a shelf over top of the machine so there is no room. So no complaints here. The matching dryer dries so fast I'm usually waiting for my washer to finish or they finish about the same time. It senses the moisture in the air and determines if clothes are dry instead of going by the timer. By the way, with color catcher, just pin them to a wash clothe.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    OK, I read ALL the comments (so I wouldn't repeat something).. I LOVE MY FRONT LOAD, washer & dryer, will never have a top loader again. One thing I may suggest for cleaning, also good to use in wash, is Hydrogen Peroxide! Cheap and works wonders for cleaning & odors. I put some in an old spray bottle and ever so often I squirt it in and around & under the seal. I have never had odors - and it's ok for septic tanks. It works good for getting rid of the soap residue. You can pick it up at $ Tree or $ General, for 1.00. It also works for pet odors, removes stinky odors after cooking something potent...lolo Just food for thought.
    It also safely removes black mold too, I just went thru that in my house, bleach won't do that and yes, the smell is better
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    I am another huge fan of front loaders, at least the Samsung I have now. Sparkling clothes, quiet, energy and water efficient. My previous front loaders weren't nearly as good. There is a huge variation between models and brands.

Pam
    I too have a Samsung front loader and I love it!. My clothes get cleaner with less water and detergent and the clothes don't get beaten to death by the agitator. Everything comes out of the washer and dryer looking better. Clothes last longer and look better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2