Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Blog Entries

Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Maybe you already know this, but I didn't. To clean your front loading machine, keep the tub empty, put 1 cup of bleach into the space where you normally put your detergent. Turn the water temperature to hot, turn the machine on, and let it do the magic! We had to do this 4 times...the amount of soap was amazing during each cycle. We use bleach weekly on undies and sometimes I use vinegar if something is smelly, but this was amazing! Never thought about a residue building! And if I had to buy another washer...it wouldn't be a front loader, but that's been discussed here quite a few times. This is just about maintenance.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Thanks. hope I never need to know this. I may move this year and do not want a front loader!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm short but doing the bends is a way of getting a little exercise and stretching also. I know many people like to cram their laundry as much as possible for a full load. When I have a really small load that's one thing. Sometimes I will put it on medium depending on what I'm laundering. when I do sheets (one set at a time), I put on an extra large load. I want my sheets rinsed well. SAme goes for my fabric, especially those from estate sales and bleeding batiks or jeans for that matter.

Blog Entries
    I live in the country and have a septic tank....I never use chlorine bleach because it kills the necessary bacteria in the refuse.

Thanks for sharing - I will be trying this today!!

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    I live in the country and have a septic tank....I never use chlorine bleach because it kills the necessary bacteria in the refuse.

Same here, living on a septic system things are a little different than city sewer lines.

My new machine will notify me when it needs cleaning..lol I leave the door ajar to let it dry out after doing laundry.
    I also use vinegar in each wash load, so I am hoping that cuts down on the build up a little.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have had a front load washer for several years and have never had to clean it. Perhaps one of the reasons is, I never shut the door unless I am washing clothes, therefore the gasket dries out each time. Also, my husband has a sensitivity to soap left in clothes. The rashes aren't comfortable, so I rinse every load twiced.

I will say that you cannot soak clothes in a front load. Mine is very bad with bleach. You will get spots when the bleach is added to clothes. I gave up even buying bleach. Even the powdered bleach makes a mess. My next washer will be a top load, even though it will be hard for me to get everything out of the bottom of the tubs. Guess that's where hubby comes in and does his part.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Just so you know...there wasn't any smell in my machine or any indication that it needed cleaning. I just read about cleaning it this way, and thought I'd see what would happen. It amazed me because we keep soap to the very minimum, always use the extra rinse at the end, and do all we can to get the clothes clean. We live in the country, too, use a bit of bleach in our whites and haven't had any problem with the septic tank. We have tons of lime from limerock and it tends to turn everything grey, even with the bleach. So we do use bleach. Anyway, never a front loader again.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    This is also good to do with your top load machine as well. If you notice your whites are starting to look not so white or all of a sudden you notice linty stuff on the rest of your laundry. I can't be around bleach any more so I do it with 2 cups of vinegar and I think it cleans better

It would seem to me that if your washer needs cleaning, it isn't doing a very good job on your clothes. These new "energy efficient" appliances are not all they are cracked up to be. It takes water to clean efficiently. Rant over!

I would not buy another front loader either. I leave my door open (always) & leave the drawer open(detergent, fabric softener, bleach drawer) & having it now for about 5 years, it too, has started to smell a bit. Not terrible, but a bit. I do not think that front loaders clean as well as the older style top loading machines either. I bought the brand recommended by a service man that repairs machines so I did my diligence. IMHO.
    Dance like no one is watching

Don't forget to give the rubber seal a wipe out occasionally...could be why some of you have a stinky odor, lint collects in there and will get stinky if not occasionally wiped out.

I LOVE my front loader...less detergent and water dumping into my septic, sweaters and knits do not pill up and my king comforters stuffing does not get mangled. I never had clothes come out of my front loader dirty and its really no bigger a deal to wipe off the inside of the lid and rim of the tub of a regular washer than it is the seal of a front loader (imho). No matter what washer...we have to wipe them lol.

I see the newer "large tub" top loaders have smaller agitation wings now and look like they can hold a king comforter...I wonder how they are on sweaters and knits?

and with a front load washer- if it begins to take a LONG period to wash, check the manual and see if you have a COIN catch underneath that things strain into! Seriously, I had to call a repairman for an issue with my washer and he showed me that the catch was also FULL of coins.......when it was emptied the water drained much faster. I will not have another front loading machine when this one bites the bullet- don't like it. I live in the country with a septic and and I have a well, no issues there, I wash farm clothes so it does get a workout

I am another huge fan of front loaders, at least the Samsung I have now. Sparkling clothes, quiet, energy and water efficient. My previous front loaders weren't nearly as good. There is a huge variation between models and brands.

Pam

I have had two different brands of front loaders. Hated the LONG wash cycles, hated the SMELL. NEVER again. I now have a cheap old-fashioned top loader that is much faster and does not smell--in fact the clothes smell clean and the towels are a joy to use. Water is the big difference I would guess.
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    I am another huge fan of front loaders, at least the Samsung I have now. Sparkling clothes, quiet, energy and water efficient. My previous front loaders weren't nearly as good. There is a huge variation between models and brands.

Pam
    Pam, I love my front load machine, also. It did have a major problem a while ago, but the repair was covered by warranty, so I'm ok with that. The interesting part is that the repairman told my husband that Samsung is the best brand to buy from what he sees. So when we need a new one we will go for that one, too.

Cant you use Affresh?

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Funny, having to wash a washing machine.......

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I have had a front load washer for several years and have never had to clean it. Perhaps one of the reasons is, I never shut the door unless I am washing clothes, therefore the gasket dries out each time. Also, my husband has a sensitivity to soap left in clothes. The rashes aren't comfortable, so I rinse every load twice. I will say that you cannot soak clothes in a front load. Mine is very bad with bleach. You will get spots when the bleach is added to clothes. I gave up even buying bleach. Even the powdered bleach makes a mess.
    I love my front loader stacked set.

Barb has the answer again. Never close the door. That is: don't latch it. You can't tell by looking that my door is not latched. (I leave the dryer door unlatched, also.) I've had mine for 4 years, never cleaned it, but this winter it started to smell like old laundry. I put chlorine bleach in my next load of whites on the "whitest whites" setting. That helped a lot. I really should get some A-Fresh and use that once.

Mine is a Whirlpool, and has a "Soak" cycle and a special place to put bleach; liquid or powdered. My soap bottle says to use 1/2 fl. oz. That's one Tablespoon. Too much soap causes a lot of problems.

My tenant uses it, too, so it gets a workout. I have my own well and septic system.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    I hardly ever use bleach. I think it is very hard on fabfic and a lot of people are sensitive t it - even after two rinses.

Blog Entries
    I have had a Bosch front loading machine and finally got rid of it. No more front loaders for me! I bought a regular machine and use vinegar if I or baking soda in the undie load as well as using it to clean out the machine. Yes we were all brought up thinking that more soap will help clean better. Wrong it just adds to the build up whether its in a front loader or a top loading machine. Wish I had the old fashioned wringer one at times like my mom had. wow talk about clean!

You can purchase a cleaner at the grocery store which will clean your washer and one that will clean your dishwaswher.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have anything but a front loader. They are much easier on your clothes and quilts. I have a Neptune Westinghouse and it's wonderful. I've never had any problems with it. My machine has a prewash cycle. Maybe it's the kind of front loader you buy. My mother never had anything but a front load Westinghouse for all the years you could buy them. I agree with her choice, she could get a stain out of any fabric and her clothes were always snow white.
    I guess that's why there are many kinds to choose from.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE my front load washer.

Like others have said we leave the door open a few inches when
    done washing clothes to let it air/dry out so there is no musty smell.
    We also take the soap tray out and wash it after we finish with laundry
    doing this help to cut down on the residue build up.

Not to mention my hubs HATES fabric softeners so we have to make
    sure any/all residue is removed.

My hubs is a tall man (6'3") so he sits on the floor when he is doing
    his laundry (sorting, putting in washer, transfer to dryer), and our male
    furkid ("dude" aka the cat) likes to roll around and rub on his feet.

Now me being 5'2" I don't have a problem bending low enough to reach
    into them.

Would I trade my front loader for a top of the line all the bells and whistles
    of a top load? no a snow balls chance in you know where.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Just learned recently from a GE service man that the new HE machines require very little soap (two tablespoons for a large dirty load) & the biggest mistake made with these new machines is using too much soap. These machines use very little water. The HE soap suspends the the dirt & the small amount of water rinse water is supposed to wash the soap & dirt away. WITH TOO MUCH SOAP THE RINSE CYCLE ISN'T ABLE TO RINSE THE DIRTY SOAPY RESIDUE AWAY & THAT DIRTY SOAPY RESIDUE LEFT BEHIND IN THE MACHINE IS WHERE THE ODOR COMES FROM. He even suggested that a lightly soiled full load requires a single tablespoon of HE detergent. The proper amount of soap also allows the spin cycle to work properly spinning clean rinse water vs. dirty soapy water that never rinses out (this allows the machine to last longer because it doesn't work as hard too). One other benefit with using less soap is the properly rinsed clothes prevent irritation & rashes in some individuals who are sensitive to laundry soap (babies are especially sensitive). Try cleaning your machine as suggested in these post & then try using minimum soap & see if your clothes are clean your machine doesn't smell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast