Furious At My Sister

Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
So, what is PDA? What does it matter that it is on here? I don't understand.
pda is personal diary area. not sure what the problem is. must be boredom?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have a sister like that too, I know how you feel. Apparently she only wanted the machine for profit. :cry:
Some ppl think antiques = Money. Its ok. Nothing I can do about it.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:50 AM

Moonpi - you are really being rude. Nobody on here is that way. You sure are though. This is about being a friend, and understanding a friend's feelings. Lighten up!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinkquilter
Moonpi - you are really being rude. Nobody on here is that way. You sure are though. This is about being a friend, and understanding a friend's feelings. Lighten up!
THANK YOU :D
Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 AM

((((((Bevanger)))))))) I totally can relate.. Although I did ask my Dad for the sewing machine and beautiful table it was in when Mom and Dad divorced, I wasn't given it. I sewed on my own machine, as sad as that machine was, but so longed for the machine that Dad got in the seperation of their things... years later I asked Dad one more time about that machine and table. He said he gave it to my brother... I was dumbfounded!! Just makes no sense to me why people do the things they do!..
Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 AM

How about going off to college and finding out that Mom had given away our treadle. "OH! you didn't really want that slow old thing!!!" I am buying you a nice new Singer. Years later, when power was out for days here in the northeast, HOW I wished for that old slow thing.
I was in withdrawal for days. Still gotta love em tho, they know not what they do....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tuesy
((((((Bevanger)))))))) I totally can relate.. Although I did ask my Dad for the sewing machine and beautiful table it was in when Mom and Dad divorced, I wasn't given it. I sewed on my own machine, as sad as that machine was, but so longed for the machine that Dad got in the seperation of their things... years later I asked Dad one more time about that machine and table. He said he gave it to my brother... I was dumbfounded!! Just makes no sense to me why people do the things they do!..
me either hun. For yrs her & I sewed together. I always looked at it when I was at her house. I wanted it mainly for the memories. not so much it being a treadle.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pegquilter8
How about going off to college and finding out that Mom had given away our treadle. "OH! you didn't really want that slow old thing!!!" I am buying you a nice new Singer. Years later, when power was out for days here in the northeast, HOW I wished for that old slow thing.
I was in withdrawal for days. Still gotta love em tho, they know not what they do....
exactly.... i'm hoping my uncle may have a picture. i emailed him, so fingers crossed
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM

My dad did the very same thing when my grandmother died--I found out later that he actually took a load of my grandmother's treasures to the dump. That was years ago. I think it's sad that my father doesn't appreciate the connection between generations, and that's his loss. It's the same with your sister--how sad for her that she doesn't see the importance of connections.

It was easier for me when I looked at how sad it was for my father to be so lacking in compassion, rather than to feel sorry for myself--because no matter what, I know my grandmother loved me--and that's the most important thing anyway.

This same grandmother once told me, "The answer is already No if you don't ask." She was trying to tell me to go ahead and ask, because I was like you and wouldn't ask. I'm better now, but not nearly as open about it as my sister. :)
Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Isn't this what the PDA section is for? Or should all 30 year old regrets be put in this section? Please clarify!
Please, Moonpi. As stated.....if this topic upsets you please refrain from reading it. Obviously it is important to a lot of us that have responded to this thread.

This thread is not so much about regrets as about where our Treadle machines, in our opinion which are heirlooms, end up because of thoughtless relatives.

It is about treadle sewing machines. We discuss sewing machines in the Main section. Yes, personal anecdotes emerge within the discussion but that is no reason to bury it in the PDA section.

We certainly don't need a separate section for discussing Treadle or any other kind of machine. We boast about how much we love our sewing machines and how many we have all the time in the Main section. This thread is no different from those.

Again, thanks Bevanger for bringing this topic up.

(Steps down from soapbox.)