Garter snakes

Old 05-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Wish I had some.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 AM

OMG I know just how you feel. As a young kid I went berry picking with my grandma and all of a sudden she says "shhhhhhh, don't move". She reached down into the berry patch and came up with a snake and flung him into the air into the field. I thought I was going to wet my pants lol. I have been scared ever since.
Another time I asked my 8year old son to please get the rope I saw on the step. It looked like close line rope only fatter. All of a sudden he says to me " look mom the rope is moving" LOL. As I write about my country adventures I am laughing but I AM STILL AFRAID OF SNAKES!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 AM

My MIL had a terror of snakes. She was so afraid of them that she kept peacocks in her yard because she heard they eat snakes. Peacocks make a terrible racket, but they made her feel safer. We pulled into her yard one day to see her screaming "Snake! Snake! and chopping at it with the shovel. She was in full panic mode. My DH went to investigate, only to find she had "killed" the black extension cord that ran across the yard to her shed! We still tease her about being a 'big game hunter'! (We got her an orange extension cord to replace the black one.)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM

I had a huge chicken snake living under my house and my mother's caregiver killed it! I could have cried. They eat mice. Snakes I can handle - mice - I'm terrified. My daughter would almost have a heart attach if she saw a spider that size.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Well, here in New Mexico, we have a variety of snakes. My husband found about a 5 foot coach whip (racer). It went up into nearby tree. He looked and looked for it but couldn't see it. From the house, I saw it slither around before it finally dropped from the tree. If you chase these snakes, they will turn around and chase you. They are very fast. I do not like these snakes. They get into bird nests and eat them. However, my husband says to leave the bull snakes alone. They keep the bad ones away.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
About the concern re: finding one in the house....get a kittie. We live in the country and various creatures get in some how...they are dispatched and offered as a gift to my DH.....on the floor next to his side of the bed.
Ha ha, ,,,he's the lucky one!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 PM

I know they are "God's creatures" as my grandsons say. I say they are fine until they come near me or on my property and then it is death to them. I live on a farm and rarely see them. We have lots of cats so that helps.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 AM

When I was a kid, I used to play the chase game, on a dirt road behind my house, with a Blue Racer. I thought it was great fun. These days, I am wishing that the Black snakes I saw when I first moved in here would come back and catch all the mice that keep getting in my car and are too cagey to get trapped. I have never seen such intelligent mice, they have un-baited about six different types of trap and not gotten killed in the process. Have tried all the scent things that have been recommended too to no avail.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Last summer I saw a red eastern garter snake crawl up the concrete foundation and slither under the siding on the house. Freaked me out!! Surely he could get into the basement by doing this?? Now I have the black and yellow garter snakes in the side yard. Makes me leery about cutting grass.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 AM

Funny. If you are a gardener you will get over your fear quickly. Make them your friends - they are wonderful for the gardens.