Garter snakes

Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 AM

It would thrill me to death to have to deal with garter snakes. I live on a farm right next to the river and have a big cottonmouth problem. Killed my first one of the season yesterday morning. I usually kill around a dozen a year. They range in size from 3 to 5.5 feet long. This one was about 6 feet from the house. Love my shotguns!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 PM

I am petrified of snakes & live in south Texas and behind my house is farmers fields so we get a few rat snakes, bull snakes, rattlers and my dogs killed a Coral snake in my back yard, that makes 4 Coral snakes killed withing a 3 block area of my house. Unfortunately my middle daughter loves snakes & every other kind of bug, reptile ect she has gotten bit several times picking up snakes. I'm so afraid she's going to get a hold of one she doesn't know is poisonous, they live in Bulgaria now so I'm sure there are some poisonous ones she don't recognize over there.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM

I grew up with 3 older brothers that loved to tease and torment with snakes, spiders and other creepy things. As far as I am concerned the only place for any of them is in a zoo that I am not going to.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 PM

I lived in New Mexico for awhile and we had rattle snakes. We bought a pair of geese and we never saw a rattle snake for the rest of the time we lived there. They took care of them.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I spent 32 years living in the country but the last 15 I was a city dweller. That is until January of this year. We moved out of state and purchased a house that is bordered by woods and a small river. I haven't seen any garter snakes yet but I did chase a 2.5 ft Black Rat Snake (non venomous and move verrrry slowwwwwly) out of our fenced in back yard 2 weeks ago. The snakes don't bother me; it is the spiders that are the size of my cat's head that freak me out. Found this Skinny Legged Wolf spider on the glass sliders yesterday. The concrete that he is sitting on us about 3" wide so that gives you a good idea of how big this thing was.

Your pictures are great. The snakes don't bother me much either but these Wolf spiders........YIKES!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM

This has been the most interesting thread! Were I live in BC we have racers, bull snakes, rubber boas, garter snakes and wandering garter snakes. We also have rattlesnakes a little further south. One day my husband was outside and came across a garter snake. Our 5 year old was outside at the time and my husband told him to come over and see the snake. When my son reached down to pick up the snake it coiled up and bit him on the hand. My husband was so surprised and shocked he killed the snake with a shovel. It turns out the snake was a wandering garter snake and they are very aggressive. Our son has been leery of snakes to this day.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

When my Dad lived in Northern New Jersey, I had to get use to when walking down the broken stones steps, there were a couple of garden snakes that moved very quickly. I got use to them. I haven't seen any snakes where I live in a city in So CA but I do see small lizard running here and there as I walk.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 AM

I was raised on a farm and there was a huge black snake that lived in the barn and specifically in the grain bin. Dad was adamant about not harming his snake because that critter could eat his weight in rats and mice. We learned to give him a wide berth and not disturb him. That being said I am scared to death of any kind of snake no matter how small. We don't see them often here but I wouldn't like coming across one while weeding. I wear heavy vinyl gloves outside and long pants and tennis shoes so I'm pretty well protected against the odd thing that crops up. Spiders are another thing I can't stand.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM

My advice? - - - Move!! Yikes! Can't stand any creepy crawly. signed/Sissy (aka)