Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I think the bbqs in PDA are working out, with the ppl who knew each other before it was introduced, but it's the cocktail parties in GCC that don't seem to be happening. I think ppl are afraid to post there or get into discussions there that wander in the way they used to before because some of the lockings and deletions have seemed arbitrary and ppl aren't sure what is and isn't acceptable.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Yes we met, started to became friends but some of us didn't want to go to the bbq for one reason or another but it is difficult to maintain those friendships or nourish them when they don't participate in GCC much. It is also hard for new people to meet them when they are mostly in PDA. PDA to me is like "clicks" in high school. As I said before I liked the board the way it was before the changes. I still like it but it doesn't seem as personal or friendly. Just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North
PDA to me is like "clicks" in high school. As I said before I liked the board the way it was before the changes. I still like it but it doesn't seem as personal or friendly. Just my opinion.
I can imagine that it seems like that to newbies. And I agree - I liked the way it was before too. But apparently, some ppl didn't.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

There is another issue that was brought up. It's about strict moderation of GCC.

In the previous discussion, we talked about how some types of conversations seem to spawn more of the same and escalate to the point it clearly gets out of hand. Eventually something needs to be deleted.

And when someone's post gets deleted, the most common cause of frustration of that particular user seems to be the fact that she saw a lot of similar posts out there, yet only hers got removed.

So the user begins to feel like the moderators are out to get her, and that her posts are specifically being targeted.

To drive this to a minimum, we tried not letting anything that can potentially escalate to remain in GCC.

I would like to ease up the guidelines a bit. We'll give it a try. But the rest is up to you. If people start abusing the GCC then we'll end up having to tighten up the rules again.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I think the bbqs in PDA are working out, with the ppl who knew each other before it was introduced, but it's the cocktail parties in GCC that don't seem to be happening.
Yep. I'm seeing that too.

I think ppl are afraid to post there or get into discussions there that wander in the way they used to before because some of the lockings and deletions have seemed arbitrary and ppl aren't sure what is and isn't acceptable.
I'll change the guidelines and we'll start posting notes explaining why something is locked.

I think we'll introduce the official notice "not a cocktail party material" when locking something :)
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I think with the GCC being more restricted, the "cocktail party" feeling doesn't exist anymore.

The old GCC postings were like the headlines of a newspaper or tabloid - now with the PDA it's like posting a required legal notice in the Polish newspaper with a circulation of 50. It's there, but unless one KNOWS it's there, who is going to look?

I don't know the solution - maybe allowing a note in GCC saying "I've got some sad/negative/frustrating things I want to talk about - please read my PDA on page X" ?? And then nothing could be added to it in GCC?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Well I'm glad I finally got to the end of this page!
Admin. and moderators--I am so sorry you have to put up with all of this. I think you bit off more that you can chew. If I were you I would just shut down the whole thing . And start over with a new forum --Strictly Quilting!!!!! And then the ones that want to join that , can come on over.
I don't post much on here, only about the few quilts I am making. I have plenty else to do , with work and grandkids and yardwork, that I don't have time for other unimportant stuff. I don't socialize much in real life , and I know there are those that like to . so why can't they email or call the others? why do they have to take over the board?
I loved this forum when it first started , there was so much quilting info and help. Now I just check in once or twice a day, skim through it , and usually don't find anything helpful or interesting. I do enjoy seeing everyone's horses and flowers tho.
So , Admin. if you ever decide to start up a new Quilt Forum , let me know ,'cuz I'll jump on that one.
Just my 2 cents---Elaine
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Well I'm glad I finally got to the end of this page!
Admin. and moderators--I am so sorry you have to put up with all of this. I think you bit off more that you can chew. If I were you I would just shut down the whole thing . And start over with a new forum --Strictly Quilting!!!!! And then the ones that want to join that , can come on over.
I don't post much on here, only about the few quilts I am making. I have plenty else to do , with work and grandkids and yardwork, that I don't have time for other unimportant stuff. I don't socialize much in real life , and I know there are those that like to . so why can't they email or call the others? why do they have to take over the board?
I loved this forum when it first started , there was so much quilting info and help. Now I just check in once or twice a day, skim through it , and usually don't find anything helpful or interesting. I do enjoy seeing everyone's horses and flowers tho.
So , Admin. if you ever decide to start up a new Quilt Forum , let me know ,'cuz I'll jump on that one.
Just my 2 cents---Elaine
What she said! :wink:
Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I responded because I got an automated PM from Admin for thoughts.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

I don't think Main and Pictures have changed, I still go there every day, but for sure GCC has. I rarely go there anymore, and definitely don't post, because I'm afraid to. So the chit-chat has been taken to the PDA's. Yes, I suppose it can seem like "cliques", but just like in real life, you have friends and acquaintances, and tend to spend your available free time with the former, not the latter. For instance, do you socialize or are friends with everyone you work with? I don't. But the gathering place I used to go to get acquainted with new friends now has a "Big Brother" who either refuses admittance, kicks you out after you got in, or whacks you at random and unpredictable intervals. So I just don't go there anymore.

As I said before, there are many other QUILTY ONLY forums out there. It is the social aspect that makes this one different.