Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Just wanted to add my voice to the call to have things back how they were before PDA. I said earlier that PDA is OK but not preferable. I thought the way it was before wasn't an option, but maybe it is.

I agree with Patti and others that some of the sense of community is lost and with butterflywing that some have decamped into PDA and taken their furniture with them. The latter is because, I think, some ppl felt that there was no longer a place for them in the main sections of the board, that they weren't welcome there and that things they posted may be misconstrued by some as offensive or irrelevant. So I completely understand the decamp to PDA and it's a whopping great shame, IMO. To me, many of those ppl were what made the board such fun. Just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 AM

I hate to say this, but Admin, you will drive yourself crazy trying to please everyone. It is not going to happen. The way the board was before all this hoopla was fine and everyone enjoyed it.

You need to define the rules, stick to them, and let the "chips" fall where they may.

This a wonderful board, the best in my opinion, and letting a few who refuse to follow your rules ruin it for the rest of us isn't fair at all to you or us that do.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for letting me express it.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:53 AM

I have to agree with K3n.
I don't post much and I don't want to take the time to read all 96 or so pda's but I would still like to get to know the people here. I do glance at them more when the subject line indicates something new to show or tell. It was a good thing to make the subject line changeable.

I come here and click the new messages posted and then read the subject line for things that interest me and read those topics.

I love to read most of the jokes but I also have a back button and know how to use it if something is offensive to me.

I don't tend to read about peoples troubles as I have enough of my own.

If I have time I love to look at your pets and grand kids and vacations.

I love to read about your quilts and see pictures of your process and the finished product.
I love to read about your quilting idea, problems and solutions.
To me, this is a quilting board first and the general stuff is secondary as time and inclination allows. I might come here 5 times a day for a quick 10 minute break. I haven't yet tried the chat as I'm not really a chatter and other chat boards move to fast for me anyway.

This board does make me a little nervous as I feel someone is always looking over my shoulder every time I post and I think that the admin and mods need to get a life other than here. I'm sure they think that way to at times! Life is not all sweetness and light and I guess when a board is only all sweetness and light it doesn't reflect real life and is too artificial.
I have seen some topics disappear and could never figure out why and I also have seen some posts stay that I felt were just plain rude. I wondered if it was just the poster and not the post that was the problem.

I feel that if something bothers you that was posted just back out of the thread and don't read it. Learn to use and love that back button. No sense in whining to the admin. She's got enough to do keeping her gorilla clean. We're adults here. Read what you want and reject the other stuff without comment.
Just my humble opinion this morning.
susie
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 AM

I don't post very often but I enjoy reading the posts and looking at the pics. I don't keep up with the PDA section--it overwhelms me. The only one I read is Jamie's (about Morgan). But I do understand why others like it.

I do follow the GCC, the Main, the Links and Resources and the Pictures sections.

ranger
Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 AM

I just want to say the 'wonderfuls' are one of the reasons I love this board so much! I have been on sites where it took days to get even one response to a picture and that feels really, really bad. Especially if you are a new quilter. This site is warm and welcoming.

I tried the PDA's and couldn't keep up. I see the difference since they started but know that you can't just abolish them now. People are home there, they have set up camp and you can't take that away from them. It is more like personal blogs now. You did say earlier that it was a place for us to let our other friends and family keep tabs on us. So why would quilt pics be a problem in there? Personally, I would rather keep mine on a blog. But that doesn't mean everyone should. Have you considered having picture albums? Each person could have their own and add to it regularly. Then when somebody posts a new project there could just be a link to that album.

I have also had one of my threads locked. No problem for me, but it seems after a week or so you should just go ahead and delete it if it isn't right for this site. I have no idea if space is an issue here.

So that's my 2 cents. Except to say that I'm so glad I don't have to be the one that makes all the decisions around here!!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Just for the record - I did NOT say that there too many "wonderfuls" - I DID say that I felt that whatever I might add after 20 pages would be redundant - (I do know that it is nearly impossible to get too many attaboys/attagirls)

I like to look at the picture(s) - and then skip to the end to say whatever- but sometimes I hesitate to do that in case the person has asked for a suggestion or opinion - and then repeat what's been said more than once in the preceding pages - not that's slowed me down a lot - but that's only after about five or six pages of responses.

In a way the long responses to the pictures are, to me, like going through some of the entries in the PDA. Just very time-consuming without much new in the content. Doesn't mean it's bad or not needed.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

In my opinion, we all all adults here and this is the best forum on the net.

I think that the rules should be respected by the members and keep it clean and if you have a gripe, keep it to yourself.

No one wants to be offended or read something a whinner is always whinning about.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
I agree with BlueChicken. The "wonderfuls" are a great way to boost camaraderie between board members, not to mention encouraging quilters at all levels, which this board has always done. In my opinion it is the very essence of this quilting community. More quilters = more fun.
Ditto:)
Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Wow.....is anyone else out of breath from all this reading?LOL And, the wish lists? Even though I think admin. asked for the cat out of the bag when asking for our opinions:)If all gets too complicated and too time consuming and not everyone will be happy if you do this or don't do that...or quit if they don't....maybe take it all the way to a new beginning...just say here it is...it if free! Take it or not....we all have 'friends' on here...we keep contact via our personal email, phone calls, etc. I still say....'do what you want...we shall follow'....Skeat
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I don't keep up with the PDA section--it overwhelms me.
I don't post much and I don't want to take the time to read all 96 or so pda's but I would still like to get to know the people here. I do glance at them more when the subject line indicates something new to show or tell.
I tried the PDA's and couldn't keep up. I see the difference since they started but know that you can't just abolish them now.
I'm not sure how to explain it, but the idea was for people to "meet and become friends" in GCC and then "remain being friends" in PDA.

The GCC was supposed to be like a big cocktail party/reception where all the different people could seek out the like-minded individuals and then have their own parties in the PDA. I guess this is the best analogy I can come up with. You go out and meet new people, and then you invite them for bbq in your backyard.

Obviously the attitude, the language and the topics of discussions would be different in those environments. That's why we had different guidelines for GCC and PDA.

But it's not working out this way for various reasons, some of which have been stated here.