Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 AM

You have to sort through a lot of stuff to find quilting....thank goodness for search...I try to be polite to all but not big on spreading my personal life on the internet...could write a book on the stuff here
:wink:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
IMO if a brandspankin' new member immediately goes to the PDA section and makes/expresses critical judgments based on a few posts, she (or he) is probably an insufferable gossip, a preachy moralist, or a trouble-maker. (That is what we learned in the other forum) For some people, falling in on private conversations and jumping to conclusions is the only exercise they get all day.

It seems that purists would want ONLY quilting-related sections/items;
Moralists would want the above with religious undertones allowed and the option to judge others;
Trouble makers would disagree with whatever is there or not there;
The majority would be OK with the way the QB is set up;
Some would not follow the rules because they either don't understand the rules or they do not see that the rules apply to them;
Admin and moderators will have to work with the above lot.
Here here Mad!

(Sorry to edit you - it's not that the rest of what you said wasn't noteworthy, just that these two bits just about sum up what I feel! :D )

Just to clarify an earlier point - I was NOT saying that the Board before PDA was dry and impersonal - then, all the off topic chat was in GCC for all to share and it was to me, preferable that way but some ppl didn't like it so it was changed. Now it's OK, not better IMHO but OK.

I don't know if the concerns that the content of PDA creates a bad impression to new members can be justified. It doesn't seem like it - I don't have the stats but lots of new and good ppl seem to have joined recently.

Regarding the deleting of posts in GCC - apparently some recent threads have offended some ppl and they've been moved or deleted. That is the decision of Admin and the mods, it's their party. We had this discussion before about what is and isn't offensive and I thought we'd agreed that it was up to Admin and the mods to decide. If ppl complain, tough. Apparently THEY agreed that these posts were offensive, although others (me included) didn't find it so.

If it wasn't for butterflywing and the funny links she puts up, and Karla's horses I probably wouldn't visit GCC at all anymore. :D
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Rhonda said:

"I have posted pics that my friends would be interested in and if I think everyone else would be interested then I have posted on the main part".

first, i want to thank rhonda for sharing her work with everyone nd offering tips to the membership. as well as tools. imho, she is using pda the way i think it was supposed to work: personal talks with friends and sharing with quilt items. i don't think pda was designed to with- hold pictures of quilts. i thought it was supposed to enable sharing of feelings with other like-minded people while at the same time sharing quilty things with the membership at large. talking 'over-the-fence with your next-door-neighbors' doesn't preclude talking to the guy across the street, does it?
i don't happen to want to share my innermost thoughts. that doesn't mean i can't have friends down the block that also talk to their next door neighbors. i feel that the pda's have allowed people to become insular to the point that they no longer feel they are part of a larger membership.
there certainly are exceptions, but i'm just starting to hear more and more about others who are starting to live there. if they chat there, and they show there, and they tell their own jokes there, why do they belong to a forum? no disrespect intended, i just feel like they've moved out , and taken their furniture with them.
i agree with amma. perhaps jokes can just be identified as such, and read them if you want to. if not, don't. i pass on links because i don't want to read them. other people love them it poses no problems for me.

whew! i'm out of breath! :mrgreen:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Interesting -

I have not received a PM from anyone trying to "recruit" me for anything.

I thought the jokes, etc. on GCC were on the "proper" side lately. I think it's a lot more "bland" now, but nothing terribly wrong with unsalted oatmeal for breakfast. A little of that is very filling.

I really like GCC and the Ads/Wanted and that's where I go first. The Word Association game is one of my favorite things.

I like the pictures, but after about 20 pages of "it's wonderful," I feel that it's really redundant to add another "it's wonderful" - much as I would like to hear "it's wonderful" about anything I might do.

I do like the idea of adding a note saying WHY a thread is locked.

I took my Dear Jane thing to the PDA because I wanted more control over it than I felt I had when I had started something similar in Main. I was talking about trying to do something in an old-fashioned way, and someone told me that software is available. That was NOT the point of that post. (By the way, whoever you were, I believe you were trying to be helpful )

And it was probably going to be an ongoing thing for a while and I felt that it would be thought to be inappropriate to keep coming back to it on Main.

I do understand about wanting to maintain a "clean" image.

For some of us, the death or illness of a pet is a major big deal. I understand that for many people, they could not possibly care less. So if it can't be in GCC, I'm grateful that it can be posted in PDA. Or when the first tomato ripens. Or when someone finally gets unconstipated. For some people, these are big issues/events. But not everyone really cares at all about them.

In Jamie/Morgan's case, I think PDA is perfect - it's ongoing, it's personal, support and prayers can be offered.

I do not think it is possible to totally avoid "downer" things - although I do think there is a difference between something being a "downer" and something being "negative." Although that's a close judgement call.

I am guessing that of the x number of registered users, maybe no more than 20% are currently active users? I would guess that somewhere in the statistics generator that could be figured out.

Have the so-called troublemakers been contacted and asked/demanded to
"behave"?

Again, I really had no clue that there were issues. I've been happy that this has been here - I use what I want of it, and ignore the rest.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
She shyly raises her hand from the crowd and says "I love to see quilts in progress in Pictures....." :-)
me too! me, too!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:34 AM

My only suggestion would be further subdivide the topics and/or add some new ones. You could have a subtopic for "works in progress," "frustrations," or "jokes," etc. On the other hand, it might muddy the look and feel of the site, but perhaps members would have a clearer direction as to where to post. Other forums I visit have a myriad of topics to sort through.

I personally think Admin has done a very thorough job explaining exactly where content goes, but some people need to read the directions a few times. That's normal for quilters! I think it will all sink in eventually and the pot stirrers will find something else to gripe about.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Interesting -

I like the pictures, but after about 20 pages of "it's wonderful," I feel that it's really redundant to add another "it's wonderful" - much as I would like to hear "it's wonderful" about anything I might do.

i agree on the picture part. the posts really are wonderful ( :lol: ) but maybe there should be a limit on how many pages of wonderful there may be. perhaps the pic, with an explanation by the author. then some wonderfuls. total x pages. i loooove the pics, and it's very interesting to know where the pattern came from, what fabrics were used, who it's for. maybe that could be in the intro:
THIS IS A DOUBLE-DOOHICKEY FLYING MOOSE THAT I MADE FOR MY SIL FOR HER B'DAY. I USED THE MILLER COLLECTION AND THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE KING SIZE. SHE IS A TERRIFIC PERSON AND I WANTED TO SHOW MY APPRECIATION FOR EVERYTHING SHE'S DONE FOR ME. (see my PDA for more). IT TOOK TWO YERS TO COMPLETE. then
show the pics. all of them. then some oooh!s and aaah!s and wonderful!s.
or comments.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 AM

hijacking here. sorry.

was there something that i missed about there being a way to hook into topics that i haven't visited yet or something like that? some kind of alternative to or addition to recent topics? was that something on main?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
hijacking here. sorry.

was there something that i missed about there being a way to hook into topics that i haven't visited yet or something like that? some kind of alternative to or addition to recent topics? was that something on main?
I thought the part about pictures and titles was relevant - that has been an issue with inadequate headings - "Help" isn't very informative.

Neither is "Guess what happened today . . . " is what's coming next going to be hilarious - a vent - a disaster?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Admin wrote:

I thought about closing the PDA and only leaving GCC. But it looks like some people enjoy the PDA section with its specifics, so both sections will remain.[/quote]

Thank you, Thank you, I was really beginning to think that you might cut me off from my cyber quilty friends. I will try to post more pics on the main board if that is what you really want.