Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Yes, we do post pics of work in progress, but I think we all put finished work on the main board, at least I have. I have also responded to requests for pics of the area I live in, that is requests from those I regularly chat with in their PDA's. I doubt if the whole board would be interested, as they haven't been involved in those conversations that prompted the requests in the first place.
I'm beginning to I understand the rationale for posting quilt-related stuff in PDA. But to tell you the truth I don't agree with it for two reasons.

1) I think there are plenty of work-in-progress pics in the Pictures section, and people seem to be happy seeing them. So it's not just a place to show off your finished projects. There are also plenty of threads in the Main section discussing projects.

2) I think most people would be interested even though they weren't taking part in the leading conversation. People here have different interests, but quilting is one common interest of everyone here. (at least I hope so :) )

In any case. I see how a PDA conversation can turn into a discussion of a quilt project. But I think it's a shame that fewer people would see it because it's not in Main or Pictures.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Am I mistaken or is the biggest issue now complaints that some members are chosing to share their work in PDA and not doing the more public 'show and tell' in Pictures?
Nope. The biggest issue is people being unhappy about their posts being deleted and the overall restrictiveness of the new GCC guidelines.

So we are trying to figure out a way to allow more stuff into GCC and at the same time have a transparent procedure for handling threads that get out of hand.

The "quilts in PDA" thing was just something that bothered me. I don't plan on doing anything about it. If people move that stuff into Main/Pictures that would be great. If not, then I guess it will stay that way.

Now that I think about it, I can see why some discussion might lead to pics of quilts in the PDA. But I also saw people change their PDA titles to make an announcement about a picture of a quilt on page x.

This I still can't understand. Why not make a new topic in the Pictures section for that.

In any case, that's not the primary concern right now.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

If I had just happened to stumble onto this board, and looked into a PDA thread where, apparently, the idea is to be as loose and risque' as one wants to be - what kind of impression am I going to get and how likely is it that I will stay? Is that good for the health of the Board as a whole?
Wow, I had no idea that anyone had this impression of the PDA. I have never posted anything that I wouldn't be comfortable with my grandsons reading. It is a measuring stick for me, personally.

:shock: :shock: also, had no idea all of the PM ing was going on. I guess I just sorta of live in my own little world. Yes we do talk quilting in the PDA section, after all we are quilters first. I'm sure when there were quilting Bees going on in this country, there was talk of quilting and of other things in life.
I have never posted any quilting related pictures, that i wasn't planning on posting in pictures also. This is a quilting board and that is the reason I am here, first and foremost.
But to think a bunch of quilters aren't going to talk about quilting, well, it just seems impossible to me.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Some of what I will be saying is the same response as many before me. The only difference is I'm putting the opinions in my own words. Bear with me, as sometimes I find it difficult to get what is in my brain down in writing.

First off, Admin, you have given us an amazing and invaluable place to come to. The newsletters never fail to teach me something I didn't know before and the ebooks....well, I just can't say enough about them, and I am more than happy to contribute to this board financially that way. Thank you for giving me a place that I look forward to coming to everyday. The swaps and red robins are something I've never done before and it's making me break out of my isolated little shell and expand. For this I truly thank you.

And now, plenty of members post in PDA the kind of content that could (and should) be posted in Main, Pictures or GCC.

To tell you the truth, this really puzzles me.

Sometimes I amaze myself with the fact that I am so oblivious to the "problems" swirling around.

I understand that some of what is discussed in the PDA could be moved to the Main section. But then we run into a "hijacking" situation that, if I remember correctly, was a huge issue last time we had an open forum like this. What I mean is, when quilting issues are discussed in the PDA, many people can and will pitch in with their thoughts on it. It then invariably twists, turns and evolves into something not even remotely the same as when it began.....which is what was a problem in the Main section (because it needs to be more structured and focused), but it is totally the way I would expect the PDA section to be. Do I make sense? In PDA, we're able to have discussions and it seems like we're all talking at once, and to me, that's the beauty of this section.

Pictures: Again, I understand that there are pictures that could be moved or added to the Pictures section. Though, I have a project I'm working on involving nine to twelve separate machine embroidered blocks. Someone asks what I'm working on, and I post the first two (and only) blocks I've gotten done, also mentioning the fact that once all of them are done, I will post in the other section. My question is, do I post my progress piecemeal in the Pictures section or do I wait until I have all blocks are made so I can show them as a whole? I would prefer to show the board-at-large my whole collection, as there is much less confusion.

GCC. I check in on that and occasionally respond. I pick and choose what I want to open. I have no suggestions or questions about this, as I don't see a problem with it.

Admin, if it's turned into a matter of this board getting too personal and "intimate", then it needs to be changed back into a quilts and quilt discussion only board. The course of life as we know it would not change. Though, I would hate to see that happen, as you've made this board into something that, I know, a lot of people look forward to checking in on everyday because of the abililty to come "home" to the PDA neighborhood. You've given us friendships and have truly helped some of us introverted people be more expressive and, yes, confident in we are doing with our quilting.

Admin and Moderators, I really do appreciate you. I, for one, would do what I need to, to make it work for everyone....if that's even possible.

Thanks, and I'll shut up now. :lol:

Old 09-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Administrator

If PDA and GCC is scrapped as some have suggested, the board would become a very dry impersonal place.
I thought about closing the PDA and only leaving GCC. But it looks like some people enjoy the PDA section with its specifics, so both sections will remain.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
I find that I use "Read new messages since my last visit" from the home page instead of going to "Recent Topics" because recent topics no longer has all topics in it. I just skip over the post I don't want to read. If I only wanted to see post about quilts then I go to that topic, i.e. pictures, etc.

Thank you Admin for asking our opinons. You don't have to. You and the moderators run a great board. Thank you!
Well, "Crikey" as Blue Chicken and others from the Land of Oz would say! I just learned something. I never used That "Recent Topics" button at the top. I just always went into sections on the Home Page, then start at the last page of a topic I'm following. Just might have to experiment with that and see if this "old brain" can handle it. Actually, the only ones I have used up top are Live Chat and Search.

I alternate between this board and the one on About.com and like both of them as for as content. Since I'm sort of lazy, I do like About's method of showing discussions, with the little box you can check things, like messages 7 days old, 2 days old, today, Unread msgs, Unread to me, High Interest, Recently seen, Ignored. I use the Unread msgs most of the time, but when time is short use the Unread to me.

But, I manage quite will on here finding what I like to read and pics I enjoy.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

However, I received even more from members who were just trying to stir up trouble and using this as an excuse to do it!!! AND trying to make the members who are afraid, to feel even more afraid and uncomfortable, using them as a pawn in their bad behavior game. Is it time to start weeding out some of these trouble making/pot stirring/conflict loving individuals???
The other day, I had a conversation with another user here about this same thing. It's actually worse than that. But yes, some people clearly want to rally up others and spread fear just for the "fun" of it.

As I responded to that person: people who truly want something resolved usually contact me directly. And those who want the drama, don't contact me, but instead go into the "underground" and start spreading fud about how bad things are getting.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

thank you thank you thank you

I thought about closing the PDA and only leaving GCC. But it looks like some people enjoy the PDA section with its specifics, so both sections will remain
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Admin,
I'm glad that you're keeping both sections. I do like them both. My two cents worth -- your idea of locking posts and adding an explanation of why it was locked is probably the easiest and most time effective one. Sadly, you can make as many rules/guidelines as you want but, human nature being what it is, you will never get 100% adherence to those rules and guidelines. I personally would like to see all jokes and prayer requests moved to PDA. Some folks "crossing the line" point is farther than others and if these posts were moved, the chance of offending someone would (in my humble opinion) be minimized.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
As to the confusion Admin asked about what is allowed to be posted and people who are afraid of posting after the changes...all I can say is this...if you are unsure, send a PM to a moderator or admin and ask is this appropriate for "which ever section" it is so simple and easy!
It's an option, but one that would not work for me, and I believe many others as well. If I have to go to big daddy (the hairy one) and ask for guidance on where to post a thread, I think I'd rather just quit posting alltogether and find a different site. (AND I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THAT COZ I LIKE YOU GUYS TOO MUCH!)