Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Here's my thoughts....if it is not negative...leave it. If it doesn't fuel negativity...leave it. As far as the new corner of posts(PDA)....I'd leave it.
That's probably what we'll end up with as the new guidelines for GCC.
If it's not negative and doesn't spawn negativity then it should be left alone in GCC. Anything else goes in PDA.

The same with jokes. If it spawns more jokes that push the line, then it goes into PDA. Otherwise, it's find in GCC.

Don't you think it is too soon to change anything yet?
Apparently it's time. At least some people have shown frustration with the current system. Whether it's genuine or not remains to be seen.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 AM

Chit chat was better before...conversations can go to chat...I gave up on diary...only a few get read...for me its lke talking to myself...the board is now very large...just not the same , but ,just the nature of the beast. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

My question is, do I post my progress piecemeal in the Pictures section or do I wait until I have all blocks are made so I can show them as a whole? I would prefer to show the board-at-large my whole collection, as there is much less confusion.
As I said before, personally I don't understand why someone would not want to post their work in progress in Pictures. So many people seem to enjoy looking at those pics. But if you want to keep it in PDA until it's finished, then go ahead. Of course it's better to post some pics in PDA than not to post at all until your project is ready.

On a global scale, I'm worried that the board might get fragmented and end up with effectively two "Pictures" sections. But we are a long way from such situation. So let's not get into it now.

For now, feel free to continue using PDA as you see fit.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I find that I use "Read new messages since my last visit" from the home page instead of going to "Recent Topics" because recent topics no longer has all topics in it.
"Recent topics" shows only the most recent 30 threads. So I want to keep it to quilting as much as possible. Otherwise, non-quilting discussions would push out the mainstream topics.

"Read new messages since..." shows all of them without a limit. If 150 threads were modified since your last visit, you'll see a list of 150 threads.

Filtering in one but not in the other seems like a good compromise.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM

She shyly raises her hand from the crowd and says "I love to see quilts in progress in Pictures....." :-)
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I can see where the new personal diaries has made monitoring the board a nightmare for the poor admin. I am sure that when you started the QUILT BOARD, that you weren't thinking about having to monitor childlike or mean behavior. On any level.

I am one who does not visit the personals. I love the board the way it was, and I don't feel the need to look into someone's personal daily life. I visit certain blogs on line and I get enough of that there.

I think that this site is the property of the administration and that you must have the guidelines posted very clearly for all to adhere to. I am a parent and I know what double standards are to the home. The beginning of the end of peaceful exsistence. I have seen some responces that were not (in my opinion) polite. And I know that there are some people here that love to stir the pot and think it is funny.

I say, It is your site. Don't forget that. And don't feel bad about inforcing your own rules. People expect rules. We live with them everyday.

I don't know if this has helped you in the least bit. But, if something is not working ... It is not working.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Sadly, you can make as many rules/guidelines as you want but, human nature being what it is, you will never get 100% adherence to those rules and guidelines.
I'm trying to figure out a way to minimize honest frustration (and sometimes malicious backlash) of users whose posts got deleted.

We'll always have to delete/lock posts no matter what guidelines we adopt. Also, most of the time things are not black or white, so the moderators need to make judgment calls.

That means there will always be users upset about something.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

[quote=Admin]
The "quilts in PDA" thing was just something that bothered me.
This I still can't understand. Why not make a new topic in the Pictures section for that.
The main reason most of us post pics in PDA is in referance to a question asked such as what are you working on now?
Most of the time the pics are also posted in the appropriate thread on the main part.
To seperate the response from the question is not easy. You have to stop the conversation and go to another place and start a new topic. It loses the continuity of the conversation.
One comment was made when the PDA was started that this was a place for people to follow those friends and keep up with the ones they wanted to have conversations with as opposed to the converasations interfering with showing pics of projects and explaining techniques or getting positive feedback.
To me posting pics of my grands is equivalent to showing pics from my billfold to a friend I met at the store.
It may be of interest to others but I am not having this conversation with them in mind so didn't think of making things easier for them to see the pics. One thing just leads to another and having to say hold the phone I need to take time to go post my answer on another thread is awkard in my opinion.
Anything quilt related I do post in main or pictures.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM

As I said before, personally I don't understand why someone would not want to post their work in progress in Pictures. So many people seem to enjoy looking at those pics. But if you want to keep it in PDA until it's finished, then go ahead. Of course it's better to post some pics in PDA than not to post at all until your project is ready.
[/quote]

I don't understand the why either on the lack of posting in pic section. I for one don't read the PDA just because life is busy and crazy here all the time....and, have my cupeth full already! But, seeing and drooling over everyone's creations is always such fun and exciting to see!! And so inspriring and learing! Would be nice if everyone did share w/everyone else instead of those that only follow their PDA's....such a loss to all! Skeat
Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Admin
Apparently it's time. At least some people have shown frustration with the current system. Whether it's genuine or not remains to be seen.
I am a bit amused at the moment: Earlier in this thread, a member questioned the appearance a brandspanking new member might get of the QB as a whole if they read some content on the PDA section to start (I paraphrased).

In another forum I play on, the equivalent of the PDA section cannot be accessed by new members until they have posted a certain number of times - which implies that they had a chance to get to know the forum as a whole, and understand the lay of the land as well as the tone of the more established members.

A new member is most likely going to view the Quilt-related topics when they join a Quilting Board. IMO if a brandspankin' new member immediately goes to the PDA section and makes/expresses critical judgments based on a few posts, she (or he) is probably an insufferable gossip, a preachy moralist, or a trouble-maker. (That is what we learned in the other forum) For some people, falling in on private conversations and jumping to conclusions is the only exercise they get all day.

If the PDA wasn't there, I would not have any real heartache with it. I am a grown-up. I don't get my jollies from being a trouble-maker and I do not NEED a social networking site. I do admit to a seedy sense of humor and am occasionally hard-pressed to keep my mouth shut - even when my fingertips itch to write an (in)appropriate reply. In the PDA section, I can let my inner monster out (to a point) and I must say that from my perspective, even the PDA is kept decent. There is innuendo but that is part of the fun (for me anyway). It is a great way to get to know members better and keep up with everyone's life.

It seems that purists would want ONLY quilting-related sections/items;
Moralists would want the above with religious undertones allowed and the option to judge others;
Trouble makers would disagree with whatever is there or not there;
The majority would be OK with the way the QB is set up;
Some would not follow the rules because they either don't understand the rules or they do not see that the rules apply to them;
Admin and moderators will have to work with the above lot.

Good luck with that.

I personally think things are going swimmingly. (Oh, and if any member felt that I was writing about them specifically, I can assure you that I was not. I honestly did not have anyone in mind for any of my comments. As far as I'm concerned, you're all good people.)