Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM

After reading all the responses, I'm still not sure what the fuss is all about. If topics are titled correctly and in the right spot, any functionally literate newbie can figure out that Chit Chat is not the same as the Main section or Pictures. If there were any doubts, I think there is an info topic locked at the top of each section.

As to the recently locked topic, I was a responder. I found it interesting on a couple levels - finding out how many other "Night Hawks were in the diner", and the larger question of how do you get any quilting in when this economy, we have extra folks living together. I have a roommate, so that one really interested me. I am sorry if it was found to be too depressing to allow to continue. For some of us, it is daily life. If allowed to continue, I wonder how many good suggestions would have been offered to balance the two issues. Since no explanation of the locking was given, I will never know.

I don't have a PDA, but I do look at them occasionally. If I need to vent, I generally do it in the chatroom, where I may have the luxury of instant feedback from people I have grown to think of as my quilting family.

One thing that is under-used lately is the good old PM. I see new topics introduced aimed at individuals asking specific questions about things that could be better addressed off-board.

Something I brought up during the last shakeup was sending a pm out to newbies with links to directions and an overview of how things work. I never could find out a way to make it work, because some people don't post an introduction, or bury their intro in other threads. Maybe a link from the sign-up sheet to a page explaining the general setup would help, but some folks just do as they please anyway.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
being the troublemaker that i am, i'd like to know exactly what constitutes a 'dirty' joke? can anyone actually tell me?

if a joke contains no foul language or nekkid pictures, what makes it dirty?
i saw a joke posted not long ago about a woman in a rowboat. it contained humor that bordered on sexual harrassment, which i find disgusting, yet no one seemed offended by it.

so where is the line drawn? and by whom? this will bring us back to the original issue that gave us pda's. now the pda users are saying that they like it because they can be raunchy over there? what's wrong with this picture?

i hope this is still going tomorrow. right now i need zzz's.
I don't think that much goes on in the PDA's that is raunchier than what is allowed in the GCC section now. It just can be an ongoing teasing/joking that can take up several pages before it burns out.... a single joke in the GCC may look differently, than one carried on longer in a PDA thread.
I think this goes back to what the original objection was to jokes in GCC, there has to be a certain standard of "jokes" that are not offensive...the reasons were stated and discussed on that thread in great detail, and are still in effect for that section.
I can choose not to open any jokes in the GCC section, or take a chance it may be offensive to me and not anyone else...
A suggestion might be that each of these threads should start out with Joke: and then the rest of the subject title...then there would be no question about what you are opening...if they don't start out that way...they are deleted.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Wow! I had no idea there were problems, I thought we'd got through that and found a solution that kept everyone happy. :shock:

Although I no longer have a PDA of my own, i do 'watch' those of others I consider my closer friends and get involved in the kidding around AND support of those in need where I feel kinship. I avoid those of ppl I don't consider 'like minded' in those more personal areas although of course I interact with evryone on the main, quilty sections of the board. GCC IMHO has now become a place for sharing funny links (thanks BW! :mrgreen: ) and for discussing non quilty things such as apple trees and jury service. As it should be. And it doesn't clog up Recent Topics anymore so all those who had a problem with focus shifting away from the main subject matter of the board should be satisfied with that.

Am I mistaken or is the biggest issue now complaints that some members are chosing to share their work in PDA and not doing the more public 'show and tell' in Pictures? How can you ban ppl from doing this? While we're chatting there, it's inevitable that between the jokes, we WILL discuss quilting from time to time and a picture paints a thousand words. I think most ppl (like Ninnie) go post the work in Pictures as soon as they feel there's something to share with the community at large. I'm sorry, I just don't see a problem with that.

When PDA was introduced, I felt that certain sections of the board were being marginalised - the 'naughty' ones and those who feel the need to demand prayer requests. I didn't like that. But as it turns out, for me, it works fine. My friends don't seem to mind me squatting in their PDAs and I don't visit the ones I feel won't hold any interest for me.

If PDA and GCC is scrapped as some have suggested, the board would become a very dry impersonal place. And that would be a shame. If you ONLY want to discuss quilting here and nothing else, you have that option. If you want to be part of the cyber community and engage with ppl on a more personal level, you have that option too.

Sorry to be so long winded. :D
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Power Poster

Very well put, k3n!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Amma! :D

Just wanted to add a PS that I'm a little bit peeved.

We were sent over to PDA because we were offending some ppl - that's the impression I had. Now, some ppl are being made to feel guilty because they're sharing their work there instead of in Pictures.

Sharing our work is a personal thing - why can't we chose where and when we share it? I have stuff here I've never shown on the Board but I have shown friends and family here locally. Are you going to come and tell me off for that too? :shock:
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

As to the confusion Admin asked about what is allowed to be posted and people who are afraid of posting after the changes...all I can say is this...if you are unsure, send a PM to a moderator or admin and ask is this appropriate for "which ever section" it is so simple and easy! If you do make a mistake and you thread gets moved, it is no big deal!! They found your innocent mistake and moved it to the proper place, for you. If my post was gone when I went to check it, I would think, well it had a picture in it, I wonder if it got moved to Pictures...and go check there. Ooops, there it is!! But there would be no hard feelings on my part, we all can make a mistake. If it gets locked because it belongs in the PDA, I have a choice, let it go or start a PDA, or add it there to my existing PDA. We need to act like adults. Admin is NOT going to ban us for mis-posting a thread, nor will he throw banannas at us, or send one of his hairy friends to our door :wink: :lol: :lol:
After the last big discussion we were nicely but firmly, given choices, post according to the guidlines for each section, or don't post at all. I am beginning to wonder just how many are really honestly and sincerely afraid to mis-post and don't, or how many are using this as an excuse to rebel to try to get things back to how they were, as well as because they like to stir up trouble. I received a number of PM's and emails that were sincere in their being afraid to mis-post, bless their hearts, they needed some reassuring and that is okay. However, I received even more from members who were just trying to stir up trouble and using this as an excuse to do it!!! AND trying to make the members who are afraid, to feel even more afraid and uncomfortable, using them as a pawn in their bad behavior game. Is it time to start weeding out some of these trouble making/pot stirring/conflict loving individuals??? Maybe it is a good thing that I am not Admin...because I think I would! When a few members can cause so much upset on this board, maybe it is time for them to go... I love this board, the members, Admin and the moderators...but I do not like, want or need, individuals who thrive on conflict, and that are not happy till they get everyone around them all upset. I have kept this pretty much to myself for a while, dealing with some of these people quietly and privately. But I have about had my fill of them and their antics and how it affect everyone else on this board!!!
I don't get angry easily, but seeing other people being used and upset really gets my dander up!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 09-12-2009, 01:53 AM

:shock:

I guess there's some things going on that not everyone is aware of.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I think that's the crux of the problem Blue - all the stuff that's flying around by PM; I've had exchanges with ppl myself, of course it'll happen that some things are discussed or vented privately but really it would be better if everyone could do this in the public forum. The problem is when feelings start running high and ppl start feeling attacked, it can degenerate into a slanging match and that gets us nowhere.

It's a tricky one. Admin and the mods have a tough job on their hands, which they do admirably! :D But they can only work with the information they're given, and if some ppl aren't happy and chose to grouse among themselves rather than submit an 'official' complaint, well there's little that can be done. The trouble is, it breeds bad feeling. :evil:
Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

I agree!!! I have let it be known in the PM's and emails, that I will not be a party to their attitudes or their games... nor did I appreciate them trying to recruite me. I tried being polite at first, but that did not get me anywhere...so I took a more firm, but still polite stand, and I don't hear from them anymore... but they still PM and email others.
I am not talking about a little venting...it was getting pretty ugly, and when I would not join in, they would get even more insistent. It is not that they are just grousing amongst themselves, they start trying to bring other people into it, too. Then it starts escalating.......
Yes if they truly have or see a problem, bring it here or PM a moderator or Admin...but these individuals wont' do that, and not because they are intimidated by them.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Imho I liked the board before all the changes. I rarely go to the PDA. I only read Jamies update on Morgan. I am sure I miss alot of things I would like to see because they are hidden away in the PDA section. If I opened something that was a downer I realized we all have those days and either clicked off or added support. We have a choice here to either stick to just the quilting or to get to know others and become cyber friends. I am guilty of not posting some things because I am not sure what category they would fall into except PDA and then some of the people on this board that were so generous with fabrics when I taught my 6 year old granddaughter to quilt may not see the pics of her new project, sewing, not quilting. I spend many hours on this board each day since being laid off. I have learned SO MUCH from everyone.
Thanks for all the hard work that goes into keeping this board running!