Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Sandpat, the GCC section was not yet created when you joined...I think it was created a year or so later.... :wink:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

i have to admit that I am one of the worse ones posting pictures of quilts that I am working on in PDA. part of it was a joke, my friends were hunting where I was going to post the next one, if I did it out on the board, I would have been highjacking other threads. It is the red and black quilt and the reason I am doing that quilt is a sort of therapy as I am very angry a lot of the time. Sad story, boo hoo no one wants to read a lot of bad things, when I quilt is done, I am going to post a picture of it in Pictures. I have done so with most of the quilts that I have been doing. and plan on showing them when they are all done. I am working on 4 quilts right now, do I hog the board and post them all? I am a stay at home mom that spends most of her time quilting, and I am fairly fast, how many threads do you want me to start? how often do you want to see my name up there? I have a presence on the main part of the board, I recently hosted a mystery quilt with another in the planning stages. I have done a few tuts as well that were requested and have more of them planned, like I said, how many times do you want to see my name up there? I have done one or two quilts where I posted work along the way, and not opposed to doing it again, I take lots of pictures etc anyway. But when I do that, the post stays up on the Recent Topics for days and days, until I am done with it, It gets a bump every time I do the next step whether that is my intent or not. My name could very well stay on the recent topics every day, several times down the list, I have no desire to hog the front page. When I am working along, I like to share with my friends and everyone is welcome to come and see, and they really are not missing anything if they don't as it shows up on the board sooner or later.

I do change my title which you let us do on the PDA to announce where the most recent announcement is. You can read right now that there is pictures of sail camp on such and such page, so even when the chatting goes on you can head to page such and such and find it. You don't need to wade through pages and pages of crap to find it. I didn't update it even though I could have, sad news and all of that.

Part of the PDA was for those of us that had gotten chummy to have someplace to play so that we didn't have the new members feeling left out. that is what we do. we horse around, we support each other, we open our arms to anyone and everyone that wants to join in. We have a squatter or two that don't want their own PDA but want to participate in the tomfoolery.

PDA stands for personal diary and announcements. In my personal day, I quilt, makes sense that I would write it in my dairy, toss in a few pictures to prove how nuts I am and how some of those nuts are cracked.

For those that are wondering, I have been writing to Admin, I saw a lot of unrest on the board and decided to take it up with Admin who has been patient and kind, and responded promptly.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 PM

I use this board primarily for quilting related reading. I have found assistance for several newbie issues from the very helpful quilters on this board and I really appreciate their help. :D

On occasion I like to read the GCC for a laugh. I have no interest in prayer requests and believe those should only be in the PDA.

The one thing I wish everyone would do is write a subject line that really explains what the post will be. I can't gauge my interest by: This is New, Read This, or Need help. It would be much more effective if all posts stated a clear subject line and then if I am not interested in the subject, I don't need to read that post.

Just my humble opinion. Maribeth

btw, Admin and Moderators thanks for an awesome board. :-)
Old 09-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

Hi Admin,

Well, I think the PDA is working better than I thought it would. And yes, people are posting stuff there that might normally be in the pictures or main section. I have done that. But in my case at least, I wanted the opinion on a WIP of just a few people, the friends I am closest to, and NOT the opinion of everyone on the board. Perhaps that is why others are doing the same thing. I'll still post finished photos in the appropriate section, or if I want an opinion or answer from the whole forum on something, I'll post to the main section.

Another reason people may be posting in PDA's is that the moderator(s) have deleted their posts from the GCC. This has happened to at least one person that I know of, one who posts stories with lots of photos, and she has gotten discouraged about posting, because the deletions seem arbitrary, and it's a lot of work to post something with lots of photos. And this person is one whom everyone seems to enjoy reading.

If you want to change the rules of the GCC back, my vote would be fine, but please don't do away with the PDA, and also don't expect that there still won't be posts there that you believe should be in Main or Photos. If they weren't put there in the first place, it means the poster didn't WANT them there.

As far as the kind of posts in GCC, again, I would create a folder just for "Jokes", even though I know that you don't want any more folders! LOL. And as far as the negative, I never noticed that there were "too many", that was YOUR perception, one I never shared. As for off-color, well, that is working out very well in the PDA, where we can be as inappropriate and risque as we want, and no one complains. If they don't like it, they just don't come back.

Just my never-to-be-humble opinion! With it and five bucks you can get a cup of coffee!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 PM

In many ways life was much simpler when we only had the "Main" area to post in. Didn't take long at all to check on what was happening!

Then we asked for, and received, the pictures section. That was huge!!! Love to look at the pictures and not have to hunt for them.

Perhaps you need to just streamline the whole site. Go back to "main" and "pictures" only. This is a "quilting" site after all. The idea of the GCC was to keep the quilt talk separate. Perhaps people that want to do chit-chat should exchange email addresses?

Quite frankly, I only look at the pictures and main part of this site. Rarely I'll look in the GCC. I really have to limit my time here or I'll never get any quilting done! (Oh, I do look in the recipes occasionally too! Yum!)

Konstantine, do what you have to do. You're the boss here. I think you need to look at your mission statement. Are you here to provide a site to socialize or a site to help pass along the knowledge of an art form? Personally I don't want to see the art of quilting lost and that's why I'm here.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM

To be quite honest, I never bothered with the PDA section until a couple of weeks ago when I posted the news about my pregnancy in the GCC section -which I thought was an appropriate place for it, and I think it's positive news -and the next day, my thread was moved to the PDA section. I wasn't offended by it, but I figured that I wanted to let people who were like me and skimmed through the interesting topics in main, pics, and GCC, know about my news, instead of having to go through the PDA section. It's not that other peoples' lives don't interest me, but I do have two jobs, a house, and a whole lot of other stuff to do that I just don't have time to go through all the other stuff in the PDA. While I didn't bother with the PDA section, I appreciated the fact that it was there because I also don't bother with the joke of the day, and the 16 different threads by the same person on the same topic that were always taking up space in the GCC section. If I'm not interested in something, I won't waste my time with it, but I did appreciate the fact that I didn't have to go to the second or third page to see all the new posts.

Reading through my post, I guess I don't really have anything constructive to say, eh? I'm just stating my opinion. I like the PDA section, because even though I didn't even look in there (up until this week) it made the GCC section more tidy. If you put it back to the way it was before, I don't mind either, there might just be more stuff for me to filter through.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Are you here to provide a site to socialize or a site to help pass along the knowledge of an art form? Personally I don't want to see the art of quilting lost and that's why I'm here.

I think it's BOTH. I originally found the board just to check out a quilting topic. I fell in love with it because it IS a social network, and I have made some awesome friends I wouldn't have met otherwise. If it were strictly a "Quilting Subjects Only!!!" board, I would only use it for a specific question or need, and even then, would go to Google first. What makes THIS board different from all the rest of the many, many quilting boards IS the sense of Community and Friendship. Caps intended.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by Yvonne
Are you here to provide a site to socialize or a site to help pass along the knowledge of an art form? Personally I don't want to see the art of quilting lost and that's why I'm here.

I think it's BOTH. I originally found the board just to check out a quilting topic. I fell in love with it because it IS a social network, and I have made some awesome friends I wouldn't have met otherwise. If it were strictly a "Quilting Subjects Only!!!" board, I would only use it for a specific question or need, and even then, would go to Google first. What makes THIS board different from all the rest of the many, many quilting boards IS the sense of Community and Friendship. Caps intended.
Oh, very well said, I like that. That's exactly how I feel.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I am one that has been guilty of starting a new quilt in PDA, not because I wanted to break the rules, but because it takes me so long to make a quilt top, this one will take at least 3 weeks, working on it every day. I have since moved it to pictures. the only thing in doing it like this is that with updates, there is no way for people to know something new has been added.
I do apologize for breaking the rules. And I would have moved it to pictures later on. I just don't know if it is alright to post a quilt in pictures and to follow it from start to finish.
As far as GCC, goes, I read what I want to read, and pass by what doesn't appeal to me, and I have never had a problem with it.

Again I do apoligize for breaking the rules. :oops: :oops:
the way to bring the pics and your progress up-to-date is to search the topic name, bring it up and add to it as a reply post, explaining that this is the latest news on that project. hey, ninnie, i want to see what you're doing.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
This is a personal opinion, but I don't really care for the personal plea's for prayers, updates on their garden project etc. It's not that I don't care, but I simply am so limited in time that I choose to focus on quilting. I love photos of projects, patterns, asking for suggestions. And while I'm sorry if your goat or rhinoceros has leg spasms during the full moon, I would really rather see the quilt you made out of grampa's neckties. I have never gone to the diary page, and probably won't. But it's great for those those who have the time.

I was (am)personally offended by off color jokes. As above, I am on the quilting board site. I don't care to read cute little stories, jokes, etc.

And while I'm on this subject, I am anoyed by quotes inside quotes, inside quotes. Just add your ideas without the rehearsal that we could all read. I can see certain threads get off subject easily, like the swaps. I love seeing what others are making, their patterns, colors, but personal little jokes are lost on the rest of us.

I love the way that Admin listens to all of us, tries to make it a workable board. So instead of doing away with the diaries, just make the rules more clear. It would be a huge job for monitors to move things to their correct spots as they are posted tho. Thanx for starting this discussion.
i 'm afraid this is a quote inside a quote. if anyone doesn't want to see cute stories or funny jokes, all they have to do is tune out chit-chat. when i see a topic name that i don't think will be interesting, i skip it also. but that doesn't mean someone else doesn't want to see it there. yes, i post jokes, and get a lot of positive response.