Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
i have to admit that I am one of the worse ones posting pictures of quilts that I am working on in PDA.
i'm not a fan of PDA so i'm unhappy that you post your quilts there. i can understand that you want to chum it up with closer friends when it comes to personal issues, but i for one wish we could see more of your wonderful work. i'm sure others agree.

PS are there any more tutorials coming? please let us all know.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
And while I'm on this subject, I am anoyed by quotes inside quotes, inside quotes. Just add your ideas without the rehearsal that we could all read. I can see certain threads get off subject easily, like the swaps. I love seeing what others are making, their patterns, colors, but personal little jokes are lost on the rest of us.
Sorry saravincent, but when a lot of posts have been made, the quote with a response may be the only way to make it clear to WHOM you are responding!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by Admin
As for the former, we can try easing up the rules of GCC a bit. Additionally, we wouldn't be deleting the topics. But if something isn't appropriate for GCC, we would lock it and post a notice inside the thread explaining the reason and advising the author to take it to the PDA.

That way, everyone would know what's happening.

What do you think?
I really like that... there's nothing worse than not knowing what you did wrong. :-)
I agree with BC
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM

since this has been brought up, can someone tell me the difference between 'deleted' and 'locked'?

i once had something deleted, and even though i didn't agree, i knew why. i also once saw something locked, that would not allow any follow up. in both cases, no explanation was given. actually, i asked a mod and was told re: my deletion. but no PUBLIC explanation was given.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM

I have not read this whole thing because it is just too time consuming. I will simply state that my opinion is that powers that be are too concerned with what content is in PDA that they think should be in other sections. If someone posts a quilt in PDA it is usually cause they do not feel it is "ready for prime time" and they want they opinion of their closest friends.

I like PDA even though I have not got the time to visit all of my friends as often as I would like. I like the idea that I can go there and get support without disturbing others that do not care that my cat is ill (for example). Plus if we take an inside joke to the nth degree for pages at a time it bothers no one and we can cut up all we want. Sometimes we just need a place to cut up or get glum.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I enjoy my personal thread or PDA very much. I have posted pics that my friends would be interested in and if I think everyone else would be interested then I have posted on the main part.
The thing I like the most about the PDA is that I know I am not taking too much space and talking too much in someone else's thread. In my own I can talk as much as I want and know I am not stepping on anyone's toes.
I also like being able to go to friend's pages and joke around without offending anyone. I would hate to lose the PDA.
I guess I don't feel that it is taking away from the main part of the board as most of what I see in the PDA is chitchat that was frowned on before on the main part.
The PDA is a neighborhood where we enjoy talking over the back fence so to speak. That would take up too much room on the GCC.
Just my thoughts and opinion.
I agree with you. It took me a while to get the hang of the PDA section but I really like it. It allows a little more freedom of expression than the GCC and it focuses the GCC really on the common interests.
Admin (the great and wonderful silverback) seemed to be concerned that some members who are very active in the PDA do not post quilt-related pics in the Pictures section. That was why I commented that I wondered why someone would NOT post quilty pics in the Pictures section as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
If you want to change the rules of the GCC back, my vote would be fine, but please don't do away with the PDA, and also don't expect that there still won't be posts there that you believe should be in Main or Photos. If they weren't put there in the first place, it means the poster didn't WANT them there.
I agree with gaigai on the GCC & the PDA sections. I didn't have any problems with the original GCC - if there was something there I didn't care to read, I just didn't read it! I do the same in the PDAs. How hard is that? Pull up your big girl/boy panties & get on with your life!!

When I had a question on where to post something, I PMd Patrice & asked for her help & she was awesome with her assistance.

I think Admin & the Moderators are doing a GREAT JOB! I love this forum, even when I don't have time to post, I do try to skim thru' the topics. Ask any of my "offline" friends - I'm always referring to my "online quilting pals"! LOL No matter WHAT you do, you just cannot please everyone. But a big THANK YOU for trying to keep us happy :D
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM

being the troublemaker that i am, i'd like to know exactly what constitutes a 'dirty' joke? can anyone actually tell me?

if a joke contains no foul language or nekkid pictures, what makes it dirty?
i saw a joke posted not long ago about a woman in a rowboat. it contained humor that bordered on sexual harrassment, which i find disgusting, yet no one seemed offended by it.

so where is the line drawn? and by whom? this will bring us back to the original issue that gave us pda's. now the pda users are saying that they like it because they can be raunchy over there? what's wrong with this picture?

i hope this is still going tomorrow. right now i need zzz's.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I am working on 4 quilts right now, do I hog the board and post them all? I am a stay at home mom that spends most of her time quilting, and I am fairly fast, how many threads do you want me to start? how often do you want to see my name up there?
There's no such thing as too many photos of quilts! :-)

I'm sad that I'm missing some of yours, at ALL stages. I learned something this morning from someone else's photos of the start of their quilt, I would have missed that if she'd waited and only posted a completed photo.

The statement "how often do you want to see my name up there?".... I'm not sure how to word this, but I think it doesn't matter who starts a thread with a quilt picture in it. I want to learn everything I possibly can, from everyone. I want to see everyone's quilts.... from the first ones that were not quite square and questionable colour combos, to the ones twenty years later that are perfectly square with sensational colour choices.
If someone was to make 10 quilts in a day, I would want to see a thread for each one... or maybe one thread containing all of them... but the point is, I wouldn't think "darn so and so hogging the board"... I'd be thinking "wow! how cool are those quilts!"

:-)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
To be quite honest, I never bothered with the PDA section until a couple of weeks ago when I posted the news about my pregnancy in the GCC section -which I thought was an appropriate place for it, and I think it's positive news -and the next day, my thread was moved to the PDA section.
This is exactly the news that should be in GCC (congratulations by the way!!) Baby news is very happy happy news, something to be celebrated not tucked away just for close friends. :-)