Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Split it up ;quilting in one part...other stuff in the other. If anything shows up in the wrong spot delete it
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Here here Msage - I think we're getting bogged down in minutiaie and I'm guilty of that too! :D I'll shut up! :D
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MsSage
Your going to have people upset over anything that you do...so do what you think is best and implement it and tell us to get our big girl panties on and get over it ....

Exactly what she said! Make your mind up please, oh Hairy One and get this over with. Thanks! :roll:
Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

why is this a problem? Surely there is 'natural selection' by the number of members continuing to post or not? If a subject is interesting to many and runs for weeks, why is that bad?
Well, not exactly. Even though one thread might fade away, there will be more new threads to take its place.

In the past (long before PDA or any of the newer guidelines), I thought that they best way is to let the community sort it out. If something isn't interesting to enough people, then it would "naturally" disappear.

But after taking a closer look, I realized that (for the lack of a better way to say it) the more "think skinned" members were overrunning the board and driving away others, without even knowing they were doing it.

I would really love to try an experiment and remove all guidelines from GCC aside from politics and religion restrictions. But I'm pretty sure we would end up in the same situation we were in before.

And even if we only direct people to the PDA when their threads become too graphic or turn into pure venting, people would still complain that posts are being arbitrarily locked.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Admin,

Do you truly believe you are going to have a message board where there are no complaints? It's not going to happen and you know it. Someone with a "control" issue will always be about complaining about something in order to fulfill their....."see I got what I wanted" urge.

This thread is going around in circles and I would think that you need to implement whatever it is you're going to implement before you drive a lot of the good people here away with this nonsense.

Sorry if that offends but it is the truth as I see it.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
(clip)But after taking a closer look, I realized that (for the lack of a better way to say it) the more "think skinned" members were overrunning the board and driving away others, without even knowing they were doing it.
Could you please give an example or explain about the kind of members that were "driving others away"? Seems to me that you have a pretty great board here with lots of involvement. People have and will choose to leave for various reasons.

I've been all about trying to do my best to keep things rolling on my end the way you want them because I love this board. Went to PDA when you wanted it. Started posting pictures in the section where you wanted me to. Tried to watch what I talk about in the Main, Pictures and GCC sections. And now we're back to some people not liking what is posted and the number of responses a thread will get. And we've spend how many pages on this subject????? We can have PAGES of jokes and really odd topics in the GCC section because they're general interest, right? People will respond to what is of interest to them....period. The celebrity death? It was of great interest to a lot of people. The responses showed that. If you're not interested in it, just pass over it. Contrary to what you may believe, most of us are emotionally mature enough to be able to do just that. This has gone beyond ridiculous. We're all getting a pretty good idea of what we're "doing wrong" from you, and evidentally our "doing right's" just don't add up to much.

Admin, you are the Kahuna here, Big Guy. Change this board to exactly what you want and stick to the guidelines. Yes, you will probably lose members doing that, but I can tell you that you are probably losing valuable members now because of this debate.

I would hate to be in your position....really. I think all in all you've done a terrific job. I'm just confused as to exactly what you are wanting to see happen.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Split it up ;quilting in one part...other stuff in the other. If anything shows up in the wrong spot delete it
i thought that the various topics did that already, no? Main: main quilting topis. Picture: obviously, pictures. Links: links to places members might find interesting. General Chi-Chat: a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff, inclding patrick swayze, jokes, house re-modeling, videos of interest, etc. if you can't decide where it goes, ask mods. i think i do the videos wrong, but i never know where to put them. they are about quilting so i put them in main. they are pictures, so i put them in pictures.

so, admin guy, where do they belong? i'm asking .
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

This is an analogy to deciding where to post a topic:

Sometimes deciding where a topic goes is like trying to decide where a piece of fabric goes -

Does my new black and white oriental cat print go -

with the cat prints?
the black and whites?
the I Spy fabrics?
the unwashed fabrics?
the oriental prints?

None of them is "wrong" - the question is, where would I most likely look for it next year?

Example: Should the quilts made from the black and white swap go under that thread - under pictures - under main? Should each one have it's own thread or should they be grouped? Right now they seem to be scattered - and I'm not aware of any one having a hissy about it.

I don't think any of the placements are really "wrong" -

and that's how I feel about the PDA and GCC.

Jamies post about Morgan has over 11000 views - that seems to indicate "some" interest- and it's certainly easy enough to skip over if that is not of interest to a reader.

I personally think it's impossible to completely ignore politics and religion because of the impact those two things have on our lives. They don't have to be explicitly discussed here, but almost everything we do is influenced by those two things, and what people say and feel is part of that. ( I do understand - DISCUSSION NOT ALLOWED)

Any law against that in PMs??

I have no idea of where/when humor "crosses the line" from being acceptable to unacceptable HERE.

If I go by what I see and hear on TV - even during prime time on the major networks, ???

Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Admin

The GCC was supposed to be like a big cocktail party/reception where all the different people could seek out the like-minded individuals and then have their own parties in the PDA. I guess this is the best analogy I can come up with. You go out and meet new people, and then you invite them for bbq in your backyard.

Obviously the attitude, the language and the topics of discussions would be different in those environments. That's why we had different guidelines for GCC and PDA.

But it's not working out this way for various reasons, some of which have been stated here.
i agree that people should have place to seek out and stay in touch with special friends. i just think it's a shame that "sally" thinks that by doing that, she can't also relate to the larger membership. it's as though she thinks she's a traitor to the cause if she wanders over to the other posts. as it stands now, if i want to speak to a pda member, i almost always have to pm her, because i don't want to slog through everyone else's personal stuff which also fills "sally's" pda.

because of this, although i feel pda should stay, i also think pda-ers should more open to sharing their quilt-related news.

maybe, instead of making rules and shutting down, what we need is more open dialogue every few months. say, 3 times a year.

ADDITION: this has been suggested many times over these discussions because a great deal of conflict is over the content of jokes: perhaps jokes should be prefaced with the word JOKE: not necessarily in bold red, but that's okay, too. as i said this has been repeatedly brought up as a solution by both sides of the fence. if you want to read them, go right ahead. i can't help feeling that the people who object loudest just don't want jokes, period! religion is, i think, different, because there are so many different ones and some are in conflict with others. mine might be insulting to you. i won't go near that. also, politics. too many and too easy to hurt. uh uh! but jokes? label them and be done. no dirty language, no dirty pics. no problem. you see and hear worse on tv before 8 at night. your kids hear worse words at school.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
because of this, although i feel pda should stay, i also think pda-ers should more open to sharing their quilt-related news.
I think they do, BW. I can only speak for the PDA threads that I visit regularly, but I know that those who posted pics of their progress there always intended to share it and have since done, in Pictures when there was something to show.

For example, I did some PPing last night, with amma's help; I posted the block I did on her PDA - it was nothing special, just a lonely sample block. Then today I did two more blocks so I posted in Pictures because at that point, I thought I had something worth sharing, rather than a picture that was only to illustrate a point in a discussion, ie with amma, that I'd understood what she was telling me. I think some PDAers felt unwelcome on the Main board and in recent days have made real efforts to reintegrate, if that's the right word. GCC has been kept going by you, among others but HAS been a little bit quiet of late. Recently it has started to get a bit more lively, and as a result of that, it seems, there have been complaints.

Yeah, I know I said I'd shut up - I can't, sorry! :oops: :D