Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM

ninnie,

i missed that entire hoo-ha.

where was that posted and who objected? on what grounds?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

And now you say it was wrong to post about his death and wrong to reply
Where exactly did I say that?

I just don't know what the rules are anymore
That's why we are having a discussion right now, to formulate the rules.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM

I say make your mind up. You already know what the vocal ones think and you have pms from those too scared to speak out in public.
I for one and seems many are tired of the "discussion" and just want a decission made and post the rules.
I know I dont have time for all this back and forth and in such ambiguous terms.
You want to get mad at me so be, such is life. I tried to help in the matter last time and its back up after what 2 months and there didnt seem to be a problem only certian ones pm'ing you.
As I said let put our big girl panties on ....for some ;) after you pull your little girl ones out of the wad and get back to being FRIENDS SHARING LIFE.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM

How about photo albums so its easier to find the pictures of quilts
Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Goodnes folks, we just have way too much time on our hands :lol: Thought this was a "quilting" board. It is becoming everything but. Lets all get back to our sewing machines and busy ourselves making and sharing beautiful quilts.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator

How about photo albums so its easier to find the pictures of quilts
What do you mean?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
On the other hand it is beginning to feel like we have become a social experiment and this is all for his amusement as if he has become bored with it all.
As an avid "people watcher", I feel I have to answer this....

this board IS a social experiment, as are boards just like it all over the world. What we are doing is new, it's never been done before, the rules are unclear, there is no precedent to follow, no history to learn from.

There are millions of forums all over the world, and many have been around for years now. But it is still new enough for this exact scenario to be played out on many of them. It's not till membership hits a certain number that these problems arise, and whenever you get different cultures colliding, there WILL be conflict. The majority of members may be American, and English speaking, but we still have many different sub-cultures represented. Age, finances, religion, morals, upbringing, all these things impact on us to make us different. And unless the Admin / Moderators / Board Owners have been in a similar position, where to go and what to do is unclear. No group should have more rights than others, but there must be rules set, which means that someone will not be allowed to do something they believe is their right. It's a paradox.

There are common elements no matter what the subject of the forum... there's always those happily going about their business oblivious to any conflict... there are those trying to keep the peace... there are some who do what they want regardless of the impact on anyone else... some who see only positive everywhere and in everyone... and those who see only negative and like to think of themselves as victims.

These problems are not unique to us, they're being repeated on forums all over. Some take a dictatorship approach, some go for the communist way, some try for democracy. At the end of the day, there is no clear place where the line should be drawn, but be drawn it must. It's up to Admin to draw it, and while I'm grateful to be given a chance to have my say, I'm soooo glad it's not me having to draw that line. No matter where Admin puts it, I will still post here, I will stay, because overall this board is a great place. I've learned a massive amount, and met some wonderful people.

Lastly (sorry for the manuscript!) I understand what people mean when they say this is a QUILTING site, and should be only for quilting. But I ask you this..... how many of you work, or have worked, in an office type environment? Is conversation limited to purely work related things? Or are there the odd conversation about the cricket scores (do you guys know cricket?), or Anne's new baby, or Mary's dog died, or James forgot his wife's birthday and he's in big trouble, what should he do.
The majority of talk will be quilting, just as the majority in an office will be work related. (at least the boss hopes so). But there WILL be spin offs, people have other stuff going on, and it would be wrong and almost impossible to try and stop that. Much better to provide a place, exactly as Admin has done with GCC and PDA, for people to chat.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Both Admin and Members have very valid points on this topic.

Not everyone will be happy with whatever decision Admin comes to.
It can be pretty plain and simple.

When the board first started, there was Main and Pictures.

Chit Chat was added, no one thought they were being hidden away there, or that there was a problem to post here.

Recipes was added, no one thought they were being hidden away there, or that there was a problem to post here.

Links and Resources was added, no one thought they were being hidden away there, or that there was a problem to post here.

Members Swaps/Round Robins was added, no one thought they were being hidden away there, or that there was a problem to post here.

Buy/Sell/Trade was added, no one thought they were being hidden away there, or that there was a problem to post here.

All of these additional sections were added by Member's requests, or to solve a problem.

When Chit Chat became a problem and PDA was added to solve it... what is the difference?
As the boards membership has grown, so has the need for some additional sections. We had a problem escalating and in July a new section was added.

Happy and neutral things go in Chit Chat
Everything else goes into PDA

If I want to look at quilts, I go to Pictures
Want to discuss quilting, I go to Main
Want to cook, I go to Recipes
Want to see new links, I go to Links
Want to swap blocks, I go to Swaps
Want to buy or sell something, I go to Buy/Sell/Trade
Share a joke or pics of my grands, light hearted general topic, I go to Chit Chat
Need help, support, prayers, to vent, have off topic conversations, I go to PDA

It looks pretty simple in black and white.
As long as you title your subject appropriately no problem (other than it may be changed a little for you, if this happens, just say thank you, more people will probably respond to your thread, too!!!)

You know just where to go, according to your mood, wants, desires.
If I am having a bad day and can't be of help to others...I avoid the PDA section. If I want to have a few laughs, I pop into GCC. Need to get some inspiration, off to Pictures. Have a quilting question, post in Main, etc...it is really pretty easy if we all WANT a solution, not so easy if we don't want to give and take.

Make it simple for Admin, Moderators, Members.
Keep us from having to have another thread like this created, and having to go through another 15 pages of discussion over the same thing 6 weeks from now.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Can I add one more thing..... (I'm glad there's no word limit, I'd use all mine up in one morning! ;-) ) Amma's post has just reminded me.

I'm a member of one of the biggest forums here in NZ, and there is very little (read: NO) consultation from Admin. Whenever there are changes made, there is a HUGE fuss, people are cursing and crying and whinging and throwing their toys out of the cot all over the place. They swear they'll leave and never come back, that this is going to spell the end of life as we know it.

And then the changes are made.

And guess what.

Life goes on.

They get over it. They don't leave. They adjust. And life goes on.

There may well be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but we've all got to have our say, and we've all been listened to. Not necessarily agreed with, but we HAVE been listened to. Admin's responses make that very clear.

So now, maybe it's time to just go ahead and draw that line Mr Gorilla. Then take a vacation, you deserve one! :-)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
K3n said:
"I think they do, BW. I can only speak for the PDA threads that I visit regularly, but I know that those who posted pics of their progress there always intended to share it and have since done, in Pictures when there was something to show.

For example, I did some PPing last night, with amma's help; I posted the block I did on her PDA - it was nothing special, just a lonely sample block. Then today I did two more blocks so I posted in Pictures because at that point, I thought I had something worth sharing, rather than a picture that was only to illustrate a point in a discussion, ie with amma, that I'd understood what she was telling me. I think some PDAers felt unwelcome on the Main board and in recent days have made real efforts to reintegrate, if that's the right word. GCC has been kept going by you, among others but HAS been a little bit quiet of late. Recently it has started to get a bit more lively, and as a result of that, it seems, there have been complaints." ..............

when amma gave you that help on pp, i would like to have been there. is it posted on tutorials? if it is, i'll look for it. if not, was it posted that the help would be available or had been made available on someone's pda?

when someone is learning a new skill, such as the ones that cutebuns teaches, they should be posted as cutebuns does, for everyone to learn from them and ask questions. this is what i mean by becoming too insular.

it's quiet because everyone is afraid to speak. i'm getting pm's all over the place telling me this. also telling me how gcc now lacks any ooomph or spark. why should that be so? it seems that pda-ers are looser than the members they originally complained about. this make absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. why couldn't members be looser on general chit-chat? and what happened to the argument that their children would read the board chit-chats? will they not read the pda's? are children (who should not be reading the board anyway without supervision), so selective in their reading matter? after all, without supervision, they can go onto a sex site. as i recall, children was a main issue regarding jokes in the first place. this was never a family site, and the jokes were never obscene. i've read some threads on pda and they are just as suggestive, let's call it, as anything that was complained about.

I had been asked for help by some members with paper piecing. It started when the DJ blocks were being exchanged. I did this privately, it was between me and the other member. I did think about putting the tute I made on the board. However at the same time, Admin was advertising a new ebook on paper piecing. I chose to keep it private. I was being respectful of all of the work this author had put into her book. I did this weekend send a PM to Admin and asked him what should I do? He told me it would be okay to post that tute. I have another one in the works too...a couple of more in my mind. When I can get the files decreased in size I will post the one I have been privately sharing.

Two members have posted this finished block on my PDA, it was as a thank you to me for helping and that they were proud the suceeded. Not everyone feels comfortable sharing a first attempt, I was proud they got their feet wet by taking this step!! Next time they will be posting in Main, or in the swap sections as they do other blocks.

k3n posted in my PDA as a thank you and I did it!! She went on to make another block of her own, and she did post in Pictures all of what she has done.

I have willingly shared with all members in the past and will continue in to in the future. I think sharing my own designs with Terri and then the board when asked, proves that.

I took offense when I read this:

when amma gave you that help on pp, i would like to have been there. is it posted on tutorials? if it is, i'll look for it.

when someone is learning a new skill, such as the ones that cutebuns teaches, they should be posted as cutebuns does, for everyone to learn from them and ask questions. this is what i mean by becoming too insular.

Maybe a PM to me asking me what, where when and why would have been more appropriate. I would gladly have answered just like I did above! But when remarks like this are made in an open comment or discussed in PM's, they can be misconstrued. The reason here was totally different from what was supposed.

Go directly to the person, ask why did you do or say this... You may find that the reason was honest, legitimate, and honorable. I was not hiding it in my PDA, I was just waiting for the right time to post it.

Would the same thing have been said if k3n was visiting at my house, I showed her how to make this block, and she went home and made hers. The next day posted it on my PDA to say thank you and I did it!!!
I almost feel like if I help someone with a quilting question, that I have to always post my help/tutorial or drawings? Even when I may not be comfortable sharing a rather poorly done photographic tutorial put together rather quickly?