Geraniums

Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Shoot I wish I could just even get around them I love them and think they are just beautiful ,,But I'm so allergic to them my Son got them for me one year for Mothers Day needless to say they send me to the ER
Old 08-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

When I was younger I had lots of houseplants . Now I'm a lot tired of them. My interest has changed with age. I love looking at them, just not caring for them.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 AM

Last fall I brought in 5 geraniums and put them in a paper sack in the basement. This spring I soaked them for a few minutes in plain old water and planted them. You should see them now in this huge pot, they are overflowing. I didn't use root stimulator, just tap water, no fertilizer either.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I really like your method. I love fussing around with roots and bulbs. I find it rewarding,as I'm sure you do too.
I admire anyone who looks at gardening as a pleasure. My high school horticulture teacher pronounced me the proud possessor of a real brown thumb. I can't keep any plant alive inside or out. In desperation, I am now trying "Hens and chicks". I am told they will grow on a rock if that is all they have. Sounds like I might be able to keep them alive...I will keep you posted.....we are in week three, and one has decided to bloom, (so far so good). I have them in an old wheel barrow we drilled drainage holes in. I am getting ready for next year, so when spring comes, I will have lots of starts so we can create a rock garden with them. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I admire anyone who looks at gardening as a pleasure. My high school horticulture teacher pronounced me the proud possessor of a real brown thumb. I can't keep any plant alive inside or out. In desperation, I am now trying "Hens and chicks". I am told they will grow on a rock if that is all they have. Sounds like I might be able to keep them alive...I will keep you posted.....we are in week three, and one has decided to bloom, (so far so good). I have them in an old wheel barrow we drilled drainage holes in. I am getting ready for next year, so when spring comes, I will have lots of starts so we can create a rock garden with them. Fingers crossed.
Madamekelly you crack me up!! Well listen, I am pretty good at growing things but my quilting skills??? Ummm I'm not all that great! (but it doesn't keep me from trying)
Thanks for the funny post!

PS. Hens and chicks should be safe with you
Old 08-31-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Last fall I brought in 5 geraniums and put them in a paper sack in the basement. This spring I soaked them for a few minutes in plain old water and planted them. You should see them now in this huge pot, they are overflowing. I didn't use root stimulator, just tap water, no fertilizer either.
This makes me wonder what is in your tap water! hehehe
Old 08-31-2017, 07:47 PM

Tranum, when you say basement do you mean a nice finished basement with warmth or do you mean a rustic crawl space type basement. I don't have either but I wonder if my unheated garage would work. I always throw away my geraniums and start over in the spring with little starts. It would be fun to at least see if I could save them.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:39 PM

I have never done this. Where I am living now we do not have a basement. I wonder whether or not the garage would work.