Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: getting rid of telemarketers

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    telemarketers and other cranks don't give you telephone numbers so how does this work? you can't exactly ask for their number and expect an answer. until i buy a new phone ( i mentioned that i dropped my phone on it's head ) i don't know who's calling and not everyone has caller id.

also, if legitimate callers know you're blocking, so what? if they're legit, you'll answer. no? i'm so technologically impaired!
    If you have caller ID (and these days if you want almost any extra service, it automatically comes in the same "package"), then the caller's phone number and identity automatically show on the little screen on your phone. I guess if your phone is so old it doesn't have a screen, you won't be able to see anything.

There are exceptions. Some numbers are part of a phone system where they show as Unavailable. Sometimes people deliberately block the number they're calling from, like a teen who's supposed to be studying math at Jessica's house but is really over at Ryan's working on her night moves. or telemarketers, stalkers, exes of all sorts, etc.

You can block your number by pressing *67 before dialing.
    You can block reception of blocked calls by pressing *77. Callers will be given the option to unblock their numbers when calling you.
    For more star codes: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/tele...odes-guide.htm

If you block reception of calls from blocked numbers, you may miss calls from people in those business phone networks, if they can't unblock their calls. Sometimes you actually want to hear from a business, such as your insurance company when you've filed a claim.

Some people think you're paranoid if you block reception of blocked calls. I am job hunting right now, and one of the best recruiters I work with stopped working with me for a while because he works from home a lot and doesn't want his home number showing up. Good reason. I personally think he's paranoid, because he won't leave a message even when he's calling from the office. If I don't get to the phone in time, I can see by the number that he called from the office, but he will not talk on tape. So he's a fugitive from the FBI, but he's still a good recruiter.

I blocked my calls last year during the election. My, the peace and quiet after the campaign callers couldn't get through was wonderful!

No, I don't always answer if I see it's a legit caller. Sometimes I don't want to talk to someone. I don't even bother answering when I see it's the library's computer calling to say a book is in or the doctor's office computer calling to remind me of an appt. Waste of time. Sometimes I don't feel like chatting right then, so I'll call back later.

Anyone ever get a call from a collection agency for someone else's debts? I used to get so upset over these. You know, I'd answer and they'd ask for Joe Schmoe, and I'd say they have the wrong number. And they'd always insist that I was lying! That he really lived at my number and I'm covering for him. And I'd swear that it had been my number for a week, or five years, whatever it was and that I'd never heard of him 9the truth), and they wouldn't believe me. And there was no way I'd give them my own name and address to prove it.

So now I just have fun with them. Whatever strikes my fancy to say at the moment. Not that I get many of these calls, but I've had several over the years.

bj
    When we were in college, many years ago, our phone number was one off from a pizza delivery place. We'd get calls all night long from drunk kids, so we just got to where we took their order and told them we'd be there in 45 minutes. Most of the calls came in after the pizza place had closed. I did call the pizza place after the first call to tell them what I'd done, and the owner just laughed and said it wasn't hurting his business any and keep it up. They hated delivering to drunks anyway...bad tippers and usually rude to the delivery guys. After a few months, we gave up and had our number changed.

Your suggestions are hilarious and (I hate to admit it) something that I intend to do in the future. LMBO :) :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Some great ideas - all those things really annoy me! But here in France; I often get telemarketing calls from a computerised voice!!!! That really hacks me off! If i get a human i just pretend i can't speak French and eventually they go away. My DH is really into it though and quizzes them about the 'offer' to the nth degree, all the terms and conditions etc, til in the end they just give up. :mrgreen:

does he speak to them in hollandish? that would get them going.

how was your vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    When we were in college,
    you reminded me of something that happened a long time ago that i had forgotten that was hilarious.

my daughter was away at college for her first year and she had a riotous roommate. they kept getting calls from some guy who thought it was very funny to say things to them that had to do with sniffing. ( i'm laughing even thinking about this. )

finally maria had enough. the next time he called, she very sternly said something like, "does your mother know what you're doing? she would be embarrassed to tears. how could she face her friends with a son like you? you should be ashamed of yourself!" needless to say, he never bothered them again.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    does he speak to them in hollandish? that would get them going.

how was your vacation?
    I like that - 'hollandish'! :lol: But no, he speaks French to them - he can be annoying in at least 4 languages! :wink: :D

My holiday (vacation to you! :mrgreen: ) was great thanks. I've got some pics and will post when I get some time. Probably after I get the kids back to school on Thursday. :D

I am going to do this IMMEDIATELY!
    Thank you for sharing it and sorry it took me so long to find it.

There's news! Computers will no longer be able to call people without a signature giving them permission. Currently, they even call people on the Do Not call list.

Beware, though. Electronic signatures count, and clicking the wrong thing can mean you just gave permission. Read more here: http://www.mouseprint.org/

more news.

starting sept 2, telemarketers will have access to your cell phone #.

call 1.888.382.1222 to opt out for 5 years, so don't lose the number.
    this still won't stop the charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    There's news! Computers will no longer be able to call people without a signature giving them permission. Currently, they even call people on the Do Not call list.

Beware, though. Electronic signatures count, and clicking the wrong thing can mean you just gave permission. Read more here: http://www.mouseprint.org/
    that link doesn't let you log in and subscribe. the box with the letters and numbers keeps saying "wrong number".

butterflywing, do you mean subscribe to the Mouseprint newsletter?

And are you SURE you're typing in the right letters?

You know you can click the little circle-shaped arrow to get another set of letters.

I'd test it for you, but I do not want "free" newsletters in my email boxes, not even from a blog I really like.

it wouldn't accept the letters a couple of times. i was not meant to get it. kharma.

We screen are calls with the answer machine. My outgoing message used to be, "Hello, we no longer answer the phone here because this is probably just a sales call. On the slim chance that we are wrong....you know what to do...thank you."
    Some salesman who called, left me a message that said..." (laughing) your right...this is a sales call... you have a great day."
    Now we just check the caller ID.
    Christine

you sound like my sister. hers is:

you have reached 1234. don't bother leaving a message, because we don't answer this phone. it's for emergencies only. if you know us, call us at home. if not, leave us alone.

then, once a week, she deletes all messages without listening.

it always cracks me up.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love the one of sending junk back in the envelopes.
    Been doing this for a long time. Was getting really frustrated over the amount of credit card apps. coming in so I started wadding the papers up in balls then put back in envelopes all fat and puffy !!!
    Eventually they all stopped sending.
    Waste of money !!
    Waste of tree!!

it wouldn't accept the letters a couple of times. i was not meant to get it. kharma.
    Wondering what you did that karma (or dharma) would deny you a free Mouseprint newsletter? Hmmmm.....

Maybe now that you admitted (twice!) that I was right about the block quiz link, things will change for you. :wink:

It's a great blog, though. I've been wanting to start my own consumer blog (thatone focuses on the fine print stuff), can't think of a good name for one, though. I came up with The Cantankerous Consumer, but it sends the wrong message. I don't want to be cantankerous, and bringing to light questionable business practices isn't cantankerous, it's more like fighting on the side of right.

dharma?

i don't admit. i acknowledge.

dharma?

i don't admit. i acknowledge.
    LOL, okay, you acknowledge. I'll remember that. I'll even agree that that fits what you did yesterday better than "admit." (Why isn't there a smiley with a halo for me to put here?)

Many people use "karma" when they mean "dharma." You wrote it "kharma" so it could have gone either way.

to me, dharma is the name of an old tv show and the name of a dye website.

kharma, also , yes, spelled karma, is what i have in mind. what comes back to one. what one deserves. what goes around, comes around.
    :wink:

One more way to get rid of telemarketers or any unwelcome callers is to block them via Selective Call Blocking. You can block up to 12 numbers at a time.

You may need to have Caller ID for this. You'll need the phone number with area code of the number you wish to block.

Press or dial *60. The automated system will tell you whether you currently have Selective Call Blocking activated or not. Then it will ask for the first phone number you want to block, and if it wasn't activated before, putting a number in will activate it.

It also has an option to put in the last number that called you, but I haven't been able to make this work.

Anyway, I've now blocked one telemarketer and one fundraiser that never quits.

ROFLMAO :mrgreen:

12? 12?

Whaaat? What's wrong with 12? Maybe you want to block all of your in-laws or something.

i have not one in-law. marry the only child of two only children.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast