giving a dog asprin

Old 03-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

As some of you know, I'm a vet tech and this is a very common question. Dogs can have aspirin, just NOT acetaminophen or ibuprofen (the ingredients in Tylenol & Advil). While aspirin is safe for most dogs, there could be an exception, so always check with your vet first. As a general rule, 10mg per pound is an average dosing guide. It's never a good idea to give more than two asprins however even to a big dog. And just like in humans, it can cause stomach upset and GI tract discomfort. But again, run it by your vet for the best advice for your specific dog.

Also, just so everyone is aware cats do not tolerate aspirin the way dogs do. It can easily kill them. So while they can have it, it must be given very specifically to them, so always, always do so only on supervision of your vet.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Also be very aware that aspirin is a blood thinner so make sure that the teeth are in good condition and the dog is in a safe area. Best to keep a sharp eye on em if possible.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Our vet has advised us to give our springer spaniel an aspirin at times, but only a baby aspirin. It's buffered and smaller dose. She is way smaller than your big guy, of course.

I always call the vet before I give her any people meds, and the vet always asks the same questions: is she pregnant? and is she taking any other medication? Just like people in soooo many ways.

Good luck with your German shepherd. I hope it's just a mild strain and he is back galloping around again real soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM

My vet told me to give my 105 year old white shephard an ecotrin once daily for her hip displasure(sp). He said that an 81 mg once a day but make sure it was ecotrin to help coat her stomach. she took them for years and passed away when she was 13
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

My vet told me to give my 105 pound white shephard 1 - 81mg ecotrin daily for hip displasure. She took them for many years and passed at 13 y.o.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Always check with a vet before medicating your pet! Especially with human medications. I am also a vet tech and I have learned by observation that one should ALWAYS check with a vet before giving your pet human medications. Your vet should know your pet's history or, at the very least, breed specific information that the internet or your neighbor might not. Why chance it, your vet won't mind a phone call! :)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd
I have 8 Pekingese and yes you can give an aspirin, I do know that I was told only baby aspirin ..I have to give my oldest Peke one baby aspirin a day..Not sure how much to give to such a big dog though...I meant to add it is always best to check with your vet and all though..
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I don't think dogs can take aspirin!!! I know you can give them benedryl and gas-x. Check online to be sure.
Wow I didn't know you could give them GasX. I have a little guy who can clear a room with his gas. Gotta try this! :thumbup:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Yes you can give your dog an asperin I would give him maybe 1 in the morning and maybe maybe 1 or 1/2 at night. It's cats that you can't give asperin to. I hope he gets feeling better soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Yes, My DD's vet had her give aspirin to her dog for hip pain. She gave her one 325mg. tablet . This was a big dog. It really helped a lot! :thumbup: :D