Going grey gracefully

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

well my hair is white now and just as fine as it ever was. i wish it had gotten more texture when it turned, but alas it didn't.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

As the stylist said on the Today show this morning---many color their hair darker than they should. He suggested one color lighter, perhaps with highlights. It looks more natural that way. It certainly makes sense, though I haven't touched mine in many years, I would heed his advice if I had those plans.
Originally Posted by auntiehenno
I am 68 and have few gray hairs, but when they do come in, well, Lady Clairol, here I come! And I am not growing old gracefully!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I still color my hair. I have a white streak on each side of my face just like Cruella DeVille and I'm not quite ready to show the world yet.
me too! i usually use elvira as an example though! my hair is curly, and if its short i have to "do" it... if its long i don't...so i don't know that i will ever stop dying it, as i don't have the patience to "do" it everyday!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM

This is an interesting thread, years ago I saw a magazine article that how a 49 yr old woman looked with her hair colored a auburn brown, something she had done for years, then they showed her with her hair grown out and not coloring. She looked younger and more alive. The reason was because as we age our skin tone lightens as does our hair color, and when she kept dying it dark brown it made her look tired.
So, I stopped coloring my hair and to help me through the grown out stage, I just did highlights on the top layer, platinum blonde hightlights and now, and it worked. Of course once I got my natural color grown out, I wanted more gray evenly, so I continue to highlight in the platinum blonde color, and by March of 2011, I will probably stop doing that because, I am ready for the real me.
I don't mind the gray but I am jealous of the women that have more of it.
So here's to, it's time for me to be me, I still act the same even with gray hair.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM

If my hair was grey I would gladly stop coloring it, but my roots look like mud with dirty snow. I wear my hair pretty short, but still don't have the nerve to let it grow out. I still wear make up and a bra. As some one else said, can't have those things hanging down to my waist. I am not growing old gracefully.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

I finally stopped coloring my hair about six years ago & I keep my hair long so when it was growing out it was horrible but I just stuck it thru & now it is mostly what I call white pepper but I real color is under it also!! what is that about!!! but anyway I get compliments on the color so I guess it is okay..you just gotta stick thru it,,,it sounded like there was alot of good info in the thread so hopefully some of that will help you get thru it..good luck
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Wazzy
I'm naturally an ash blonde that started going grey in my early 20's. It's funny, when I was a teenager, I used to lifeguard and my hair would sun bleach out to completely white (then turn green from the chlorine). Anyway, I have a streak in the front that was always lighter than the rest of my hair and that's where I started going grey. In fact, that's the only place I'm grey now and I'm pushing 50. Well, just like someone mentioned earlier about feeling like Cruella, for me it made me feel like a skunk. So I dyed my hair to match my natural color. This worked out great because as it grew out no one could really tell the difference. Except I would see the grey and know it was time to dye again. About 9 months ago I just quit. Since my hair is so light anyway, the grey pretty much blends in so I'm ok with it now. If I'm feeling really sensitive about it, I avoid looking in the mirror or change my part so the nongrey hair shows more than the grey.

To keep my hair, both blonde and grey, bright I just use something that I got at the hair dresser that's purple or blue. But you only use a dime size amount and mix it with your regular shampoo. I also only use shampoo for blondes and something to control the frizz because I have really coarse hair with a mind of it's own. I also avoid chlorine; green hair doesn't look so good when it's wet (kinda like snot).
I have a blonder streak in the front, too! I am hoping it does turn white when the time comes. I want to look like Lily Munster! Ha! Ha!

My aunt started turning grey in her teens, so in her twenties, she got it frosted. Remember that? She got tired of doing it and her hair never changed! It still looked like she was getting it frosted. All that money down the drain! Well, now her hair is snow white and she keeps it cut very short and spikey. She is very stylish.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 AM

The Fanciful rinses that go from shampoo to shampoo can cover your grey, but they do 'stain' your hair, too. Sometimes, a semi-permanant color will be good, but that also stains. But, it may look better than the 'cookie' look. Getting a cute, short cut is the best way to go. You will then know if you really like it without the color. Just be aware that you may need to change your make up and even the colors of some of your clothes!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

I had been coloring my hair for nearly 20 years...I really had no idea what my natural color was. I was always afraid the grey would look like my mothers...a really ugly yellow gray. After talking to a hairdresser, I learned that hers was that color because she had been a heavy smoker all her adult life. Nicotine was the bad guy there!! I have never smoked so decided to take the plunge and go natural. To my surprise and delight, it has turned out to be a shiny silver. I do use one of those purple shampoos from Sally's. The only drawback is that it so fine and fly away. I may have to go back to getting perms again...ugh...since it straight as a stick.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM

i have the same problem too. i have such a tough look if i wear my hair short so i can't really go shorter than turned under chin length.
i'm just afraid the amount of gray is not going to be enough to be pretty.