got a dog?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Sofi is a miniature poodle, she is small, sturdy and full of energy. We play tug, fetch and do training every day. Sofi goes to class on an average of twice a week for agility and obedience. She has more clippers, combs, brushes and hair products than most dogs and people combined. She's allot of work and I love her! So if you want a crazy funny hi-maintenance dog, get a mini poodle. I can talk about her all day. What ever dog you choose, I recommend going to positive training obedience class. That 1 hour once a week for 6-10 weeks will really be worth it. Good Luck! All dogs are good dogs.

Oh.. She is a great traveler, sleeps in the car and doesn't shed.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78865.jpe   attachment-78960.jpe   attachment-78961.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 AM

I have had all kind of dogs, I have a long hair chihuahua now and she is great doesn't shake and is not as yippie as the short hair ones. but of all the breeds I've had, I like a yorkie the best low mantance, a lover not a fighter.

BeBe taken in June
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78890[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78885.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 AM

:thumbup: Great decision...Go for it....
We have two dogs
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM

I have a min.poodle that goes to work with me and loves the people. Some toy poodles can be a little hyper but if you get a female mini they tend to be on the smaller side and can go in carriers on the plane. I have a male so he doesn't fit in the airlines size restrictions. Depending on how you are going to be traveling could be the desiding factor. If you are going to go by plane then look at the airlines they will give you the crate size for in cabin. I take my poodle with me most everywhere including our road trips from california to texas every year. There are so many great rescues out there and really just choose one that you feel the connection with.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Bertadel Beautiful poodle I have a silver min. male aren't they great dogs
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM

thanks so much for your input - some great ideas. I definitely plan to go to the pound vs. breeder and I definitely need something that will fit under my seat for air travel.

How long can small dogs stay on flights? I live in Alaska so 4 hour flights are not uncommon and sometimes 5. Is that too long to expect a small dog to be confined in an underseat carrier?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM

some airlines do have restrictions on the flight times with animals I would check the airlines you usually use. My daughter has a mini poodle and flys with her from CA to TX which is about 3 1/2 hours and she seems to be fine but I would check with the Vet and see if they might suggest a mild tranq. Here's a link that might help some.
http://www.ifly.com/traveling-with-pets
Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Love our Yorkies, they are so sweet, I have a male & a female. They sure do give unconditional LOVE......Michele
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Small dogs can tolerate pretty long flights if they are in the cabin with you. Basically, they just curl up and go to sleep. I have flown across country with a couple, with zero problems.

It's nice to see someone doing some research before choosing. Very wise. I sort of (via the internet) know a woman in Anchorage, I think, who has iggies. Let me know if you want her info- you may check out the breed.

Italian greyhounds DO not like cold. My friend could tell you better how they are in AK, but mine would not leave the house if they could avoid it in the winter.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I sort of (via the internet) know a woman in Anchorage, I think, who has iggies. Let me know if you want her info- you may check out the breed.

Italian greyhounds DO not like cold. My friend could tell you better how they are in AK, but mine would not leave the house if they could avoid it in the winter.
Besides the fact that iggies don't usually like the cold, I hesitate to get a dog that is trained and bred to run faster than a human (especially me with my new knees!) so think I'll pass on the referral for them. I have to go outside in the winter...and like it...so want a dog that doesn't mind going along. But thanks!