Grandkids and cupcakes!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aileenlenzi
Those pictures took me back to my own childhood and my grandma.
I have a twin sister and we took turns going to grandma's house. One weekend it was my turn the next was my sister's. My Grandmother taught me everything regarding how to sew, cook, crochet, knit, clean house etc. Our mother was not very domestic, I guess because my Grandmother was so strict. Many times I was in tears, but I sure loved her! Her motto was " do it until it is perfect" among other sayings. I grew up having to have EVERYTHING perfect. It has been a difficult habit to break (still working on it) but, my family laughs now because they at least know how to clean their own houses even if their own spouses or roommates don't. I am refered to as the "House Fairy"or "Laundry fairy". They leave messages begging for the "Fairy" to help them when everyday life gets in the way. Of course what is a Grandma to do.......
Aileen my grandma and my mom were both very strict and evertthing had to be perfect. My mom lives beside me and she is still a perfectionist. I on the other hand am a slob part of the time and in some things I am a real perfectionist!! Part my dad and part my mom!! LOL

I am glad you enjoyed the pics. Twins run in every third generation in my dad's family. I have twin cousins and my grandpa had twin cousins. My one twin cousin he and his wife had twin boys just 5 mos before our twin grands were born. 5 yrs before our twins were born my other two kids and their spouses were saying they couldn't have twins because of things going on in their lives at the time. So they all decided that Glen should have the twins. And 5 yrs later he and his wife had twins!! It was their gneration to have twins. I always wanted to be a twin and if not htat then I wanted to have twins but I got twin grandsons so I was really happy when they were born!!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:01 PM

LOL, in my family it used to be every other generation for twins but my sister and I broke the mold. The Doctor told my Mother that it would be a free for all now. We kids all lived in fear that one of us would have twins. When I was expecting my last child (7th) the Doctor thought he would be funny and told me that I was going to have twins. I almost fainted off the exam table! He had to run to catch me, he was really sorry about that sick joke! So now my kids all live in fear that one of them will have a muliple birth. We do not just have twins but have had triplets although much rarer.
I feel sorry for anyone that has multible births and for the kids. I hated being a twin, everyone treated us as one person never letting us have our own identity. I still get it whenever my sister comes to visit because although we are identical twins we really look more like we are mirror twins.
I have most of my grandkids within 2 miles and our grand daughter lives with us with her mother. They are always either at our house or I at theirs, so it is just like being next door. Sometimes my husband would like time to himself but since we finally had a granddaughter he always wants to babysit her!
My oldest daughter's mother-in-law is my friend and quilting buddy, we call each other "friends-in-laws" it really confuses and throws everyone off!
Anyway, I love being a Grandma and have many, many happy memories
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aileenlenzi
LOL, in my family it used to be every other generation for twins but my sister and I broke the mold. The Doctor told my Mother that it would be a free for all now. We kids all lived in fear that one of us would have twins. When I was expecting my last child (7th) the Doctor thought he would be funny and told me that I was going to have twins. I almost fainted off the exam table! He had to run to catch me, he was really sorry about that sick joke! So now my kids all live in fear that one of them will have a muliple birth. We do not just have twins but have had triplets although much rarer.
I feel sorry for anyone that has multible births and for the kids. I hated being a twin, everyone treated us as one person never letting us have our own identity. I still get it whenever my sister comes to visit because although we are identical twins we really look more like we are mirror twins.
I have most of my grandkids within 2 miles and our grand daughter lives with us with her mother. They are always either at our house or I at theirs, so it is just like being next door. Sometimes my husband would like time to himself but since we finally had a granddaughter he always wants to babysit her!
My oldest daughter's mother-in-law is my friend and quilting buddy, we call each other "friends-in-laws" it really confuses and throws everyone off!
Anyway, I love being a Grandma and have many, many happy memories
My oldest two Sara and Nathan are 12 mos and 21 days apart. Nathan and my youngest Glen are 18 mos to the day. So my three grew up almost as triplets. We treated them as triplets most of the time. We did everything in threes. I would have loved triplets. Identical or not.

I have a strong desire to leave my grandkids with great grandparent memories. I spent alot of time with my grandparents on both sides and have some great memories. So I like to have memory moments with my kids so they will have great times to look back at. I also like that I have some influence in what kind of person my grands will become. We stress respect of others and kindness. I am proud of my adult kids and am so enjoying watching my grands grow up. I posted pics in my PDA of my oldest granddaughter and her baby. She had her first baby last evening at 11:38pm. She had a girl and we got to go into the hospital and spend a little time with our granddaughter and her fiancee and the baby this morning.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM

How wonderful, you have a lot of family. My Grandmother was the only grandparent alive while I was growing up and unfortunetly my younger children lost their grandparents on both sides of the family before they were born. My husband and I are THE older generation now and we are just becoming grandparents, so it is important to us that we are very involved in their lives in everyway that we can. I am very attached to my kids and to my grandkids. Which is a bad thing in some ways as I have already had one son die which has been terrible for me so I have been even more protective of my "Babies"

Well anyway, guess I should end. It has been nice talking with you. I really need to do a little sewig tonight as my beautiful grand daughter is very demanding @ 10 months of age so I don't get much time for myself.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Oh, yes Grandchildren ARE special...thanks for sharing your pictures, so much fun to look at!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Yes we do have alot of family now. My mom is one of 14 kids and my dad one of 4. I grew up with lots of family around us but I am an only child.

So now to be an only child and to have all these people in my life is really a blessing! We now have 3 adult kids 3 inlaws and with grands and grand inlaws and great grands we have 14 grandchildren in all. 20 in all kids and grands. It is incredible to me that we have this many offspring! Some by marriage but all by love. God has been good to us!