Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grandparents raising grandchildren >

Grandparents raising grandchildren

Grandparents raising grandchildren

Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 AM

And then when the day is done they are all grown-up and you can say, " Thank you Lord." for the strength that you supplied me with to do it again. But, I do miss them, all four of them.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM

My DS has gotten custody of his daughters one 6, one 7 and they are all living with us. Has been an experience with girls in the house after raising 5 boys. Am lovoing every minute of it, don't know about DH!LOL
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 AM

got my 6 month old granbaby girl,,,keep her while mom works long hrs and daugher has health problems,, I keep her a lot otherwise. Kept her last night....Im 55 but have terrible health issues, just use stuff like high chair, walker and saucer thingy with toys on it. Play music and tv some.Try to love on her a lot. mom and dad just separated and will be divorced. one day they will take her away and put her with someone else to sit so i just pray a lot and do best i can.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 AM

I am raising my special needs grand daughter.I have had her since birth and she will be 17 on the 21st of Sept.Teen years,exhausting.Much easier back years ago raising children.Blessings my friend for helping her out,Vickie(quilt-n-frenz) :-P
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM

I am 70 years old and just recently got custody of my 7-year-old GS and 17 year old GD. My son is in Iraq and their mom (ex-DIL) is just not able to care for them. It does take a great deal of energy for these two. The 17-year-old resents me but the 7-year-old loves me. The way I raised my own 4 children is not the way kids are raised this day and time. It is very difficult with all the challenges for teens out there today. I go to bed exhausted every night.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM

We raised three boys of our own and then had custody of two grandchildren (boys). It was hard but I am thankful that I was able to do it. They are 19 and 20 now. I really enjoy being an empty nester. I like for them to visit and I cook the holiday meals but I am always happy to see them go to their own homes with their children.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM

When my 2 kids were little I would laugh (with) my Mom because she couldn't keep up with the kids.
I'm 55 now and I don't have Grand kids yet but I don't think it's as funny now.
Hats off to all that love and take care of the little ones.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tonnadesigns
To any of you out there who are raising your grandchildren, I just want you to know I admire you, greatly!!!!! I am 47 years old and recently kept a friend's grandchildren she is raising for the night. I was so exhausted when they left! I seriously do not know how a person does this!
I think those of us who have raised our grandkids just do it. You don't think about how hard it is just what the kids life would be life if you didn't. Then you get them into college and finally into a job and you collapse. I just finished the last step. :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Good for you Roberta. I just hope some day my GD realizes that the reason I am keeping her and her brother is that I love them and want them with me rather than someone else who wouldn't take as good care of them. I guess she'll have to grow up some to find that out, right? As it is now, she thinks I'm too old fashioned and maybe I am to a certain extent, but she gets a heck of a lot more freedom than her father or her aunts got.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

I was raised by my grandparents and now have our gd living with us. My Father was in the service stationed in Newfoundland when my mother was killed in a car accident. The only thing strange I found being raised by grandparents from a young age is you call them mom and dad and your friends end up confused because your fathers so much younger than the person you call mom. our GD came to live with us when our daughter transferred jobs to southern ca and she wanted to stay here to graduate from high school which was only 4 months at the time. Well she graduated and she's still with us and not sure she really wants to leave. Her and I are great friends, she loves to sew and quilt but we have had to put the sewing room in the diningroom since she has what was the sewing room. I'm loving every minute of it but I'm a grandparent with a 17 yr old not an infant or toddler.