Growing Older

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Here in my late sixties - looking back over the years, trials (few) but triumphs (many) Only regret is that I did not have more than one child.
Can't believe I will be 69 at the start of 2011. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel being a senior! Love retirement - and am blessed to have my husband retired also. We get in each others way! That's just a comment not a complaint.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

I don't know - I'm having a hard time getting older. I hate my face sagging, hair getting grey, knees creaking and putting on the pounds. I'm MUCH more critical of myself than I was 10 years ago! How DO you get to the point of accepting this???
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM

SO very true! I've just turned 50 and have been realizing over the past couple of years how much more enjoyable life is when I feel free to be myself and not be concerned with what other people think of me. If they don't like me the way I am then I sure don't need them around...lol.

Ditter, I love reading your posts. I love your sense of humour but also just the plain, simple "advice" we can all learn to live by as well. Keep it up! :)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Ditter, how true that is. I turned 63 two weeks ago and I am enjoying every day. Okay, some days are pretty painful, the knees and back aren't what they used to be, but, I have so much freedom to do what I want to do now, children have left home, I am retired and hubby pretty much looks after himself, so I no longer have to march to the sound of the ticking clock, HURRAH.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM

quiltmom, Don't know how old you are, but, right at first those sags and pounds seem to matter a lot. After a few more years, more sags and more pounds, you just figure ,"what the heck! LOL I fought the weight thing all my life it seemed, always thought I had to look extra nice. By the time I hit 50, I was just plain tired of watching my diet while everyone else enjoyed food. I finally just stopped fretting about it. I am who I am, and you know, my family and friends think I am pretty special. I tell my kids I earned every gray hair raising them, and every wrinkle because of all the smiles I had because of the grandchildren!!LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I don't know - I'm having a hard time getting older. I hate my face sagging, hair getting grey, knees creaking and putting on the pounds. I'm MUCH more critical of myself than I was 10 years ago! How DO you get to the point of accepting this???
It's not like you have a choice...we are all getting older at the same rate.I used to fret so much about my weight. There are teenagers who look worse then I do! I hated my wrinkled body....so I eat a little more to plump out the wrinkles! I've come to realize beauty really is only skin deep.
Haven't you noticed that after you get to know someone, their personality is what you remember most.
We live in a world that is too fixated by our outer appearance. Once you learn to like and accept yourself for who you are,your life becomes a lot more peaceful. :D
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM

After having a heart attack at 52 you learn to appreciate a lot of things and growing older is the first one. As I tell people grow old or die young only two choices I know. I am growing old and loving every min. No gray hair only because my daughter is a hairdresser. LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM

I agree Ditter!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 PM

What I get a chuckle is when you meet someone from the past and they say you haven't changed! Hello my hair is gray, a few pounds around the middle, and I wear bifocals!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM

I just love your humor and that you keep on going event ho your having pain all the time. I can relate as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and osteoarthritis. Bone spurs all over but I am hanging in there and still going here and there. Got to keep moving!