Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grown Up/Adult coloring books?

Grown Up/Adult coloring books?

Are any of you coloring? I have a friend who introduced me to coloring books a while back, and her work is so pretty.
    I even looked at them on Amazon a few weeks ago and went so far to stick one in my cart. A few days later Rob came back from a trip with a box of 48 pencils and the book I had in my cart. Makes the hair on my neck stick out What a coincidence, eh?

Lost Ocean by Basford is the one he brought me, along with a Mandala book by Carlton publishing.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: remove copyright image

I love coloring in just old plain coloring books.

nice pictures you are showing.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Yes! Mr stitchnripper and I have several. I got some gel pens and some glitter gel pens. He is better at it than I am but we both enjoy it. Plus it is supposed to be a stress reliever. Can't really tell but we enjoy doing it.
    Alyce

I bought one for my DH due to his job stress level. I have colored about 1/2 the pages in the book

Very pretty. I've been tempted to try a coloring book. I loved coloring as a kid. Plus, I think it could be good practice for me to just practice various color combinations. So far I haven't jumped in. Do some coloring with our little granddaughters, though. I did try Zentangling, bought an instruction book and art paper. It is also, supposed to be relaxing and almost a form of meditation, from what I read. I thought it would be good practice for FMQ. It did not work out for me in any of those areas.

Power Poster
    I have seen them at Walmart but haven't purchased any. I think some of them would make good patterns for Zentangles. You could colour the Zentangle after sewing.

I have several of those coloring books. I love 'em, they are so relaxing. I sent a couple to my daughter who loves to draw. She says she enjoys them too.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

When I first/saw them, I did not thinki would be interested...if I'm going to sit will,my theory was, do some constructive hand work......but WRONG...I bought a small one at the local DollarTree and a basic box of pencils...FUN....now my 5 yr old GGD has confiscated the book and pencils when she's over,so I guess I need to buy another........

I've peeked at them, but not purchased....yet! Maybe I'll get some for Christmas. They look very fun!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I still color...but outside the lines! I find coloring a great stress reliever. I just treated myself to a new box of 96 Crayola crayons (under $5 at Walmart).I also noticed today that JAF has adult or advanced coloring books for sale. Haven't bought one, but they do look interesting.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I was recently introduced to them when my DH had surgery. I was amazed at the number of adults who reduced their stress level by coloring in them during and after their loved ones surgery. The art work in the books was awesome and it became even more so after being colored.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I got my son one of Asian designs and some nice coloring pencils. I hope he enjoys it. I want one for myself. the stocking is beautiful. I think a lot of people will be getting them or Chistmas this year.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Vat
    I used to love to color (when I was very young and not married about 60 years ago) but I don't think I have time for that now. I did try Zentangle and was a nervous wreck. If I am just sitting I am usually sewing bindings, embroidery , etc.

Great idea for home bound, assisted living residents, nursing home residents who are able. Even dementia patients. A neurologist prescribed coloring books for adults ..for the MIL of a friend who suffers from dementia. Focus, relaxation, etc. Therapeutic!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I found a couple coloring books with floral and leafy designs; some of them are great inspirations for free motion quilting designs! It's fun

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I bought several books for Xmas presents this year. One I thought was particularly interesting is put out by Dover Coloring Books, (www.doverpublications.com) and is called "Tiffany Designs" containing 16 pages of Louis Comfort Tiffany's designs. The pages are perforated for easy removal, are on translucent paper and you can color on both sides of the page, creating interesting color combinations. If you color only one side, they can even hang in your window as color catchers. They can be colored with crayons, felt-tipped pens, acrylics and watercolors. (This one is for a person who likes Tiffany lamps.)
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

I already bought one for myself and several as Christmas gifts. Coloring brings me back to simpler times.

See, you were supposed to have that particular book and there are a plethora of them out there. Yes, neck-hair raising. I have succumbed to buying one. Haven't had time to play though.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    We started a coloring group for Adults only. We color two hours in the afternoon (1:30 - 3:30 p.m.) and two hours in the evening (5:30 - 7:30 p.m.), the second Thursday every month. I am happy to report that my coloring skills have matured and improved over the years. It is lots of fun and very relaxing.

I have purchased several books on line from Dover and Amazon. However, I have downloaded lots of coloring pages on a heavier printing paper and they are fun and easy to color for practice (coloring has evolved so much since I used crayons, it is fun to experiment with different mediums). CAUTION: It is addictive like quilting.
    Last edited by Aurora; 12-02-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have several...ok a lot of them. I have also invested in markers and colored pencils...now if I just had more time to actually USE them it would be great! Between work, family, church, and my other hobbies I don't quite seem to find the time...but there is always hope after Christmas!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    Michael's has tons of books. Plus there are a lot of free down loads
    that can be printed.

I bought my daughter a couple books, and printed 155 pages for
    her. Also got her colored pencils, markers and a mega box of crayons.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

My older teens like them and I got bought some as Christmas gifts. I think it is great that people are getting into coloring.
    Anna Quilts

Yep....I sure am. I went to our place in the desert over Thanksgiving and we have no TV connection, so I colored. Got 3 pages done . I bought the Creative Haven coloring books at Aaron Bros with my 50% off coupon (Creative Cats, Steampunk Designs, and Art Nouveau Animal Designs), got an #*$load of markers, glitter pens, pencils, and am havin' a blast. I'm even having a coloring tea party with my DD and DIL and few of friends and we're gonna color, eat, and drink wine....and maybe tea!!!
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Yes, I color. It is so tranquil and habit forming. I purchased the Crayola twist up pencils and go to town. I have three books and so far the Mandala one is my favorite. I keep thinking it's going to lead to a round quilt one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    I have several...ok a lot of them. I have also invested in markers and colored pencils...now if I just had more time to actually USE them it would be great! Between work, family, church, and my other hobbies I don't quite seem to find the time...but there is always hope after Christmas!
    Maybe set 'em up in the bathroom....you'll never come out.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast