Guess I'm getting old!

Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 AM

Like Tranum, I've also stopped coloring my hair and have allowed it to go gray/white instead of blonde. It does make a difference in how I look and sometimes feel.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:43 AM

Your comment reminds me of the time when I told a 14 year old student that he was already acting like a 40-year old. He was "sot in his ways" and was so inflexible when any change was suggested.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I live in Florida and we have a department store called Bealls (pronounced Bells). They don't have a "senior discount". Instead they have a "50 and Fabulous" discount. It just sounds so much better to tell the cashier that you're fabulous.
I relocated back to Ia. from Fl. 10 yrs ago and I still miss Bealls!!!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Which is why many places have one *ask* for a senior discount - instead of just giving a "mature-looking" person the discount.
wow, I wondered why they would have a discount but wouldn't tell you about it.
Thank you, bear!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 AM

Loved reading all about the random acts of kindness. I try to do them myself. Recently helped someone with her grocery bill (much younger person than myself) when she found or out she was short on cash. She was so appreciative just told her to pay it forward, which she readily agreed to. It is amazing how uplifting it is to the giver.
I have always believed in trying to make the world a better place with one freely offered smile at a time. Pay it forward it is catching! Thanks for the uplifting thread.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:40 AM

When I was growing up I was small for my age. (Still only 4'10" ). Everyone thought I was younger than I was and I hated it. Even as a young adult I got mistaken for a child. I consoled myself by thinking I would love people thinking I was younger than I looked when I got older. But alas, that never happened. When I got to the age when I wanted look younger than I was, my looks caught up with my age!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM

Those in the military are sacrificing their lives to protect our country. I think they should be able to use their discount any way they want to.

Sometimes people want to help but don't really have anything they can offer but their discounts. The business is kind to be willing to offer the discount, too, out of respect for their service.

Kindness has a way of paying it forward and we need lots more kindness in this world. Perhaps it was the patriotic clothing of the person in line that caused the thought of sharing the military discount. We won't know. I prefer to assume that it was just a kind act that was not intended to denigrate military service in any way.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 PM
pal

Instead of thinking "Gee, that lady looks so nice" I go up and tell her that she looks nice. If you're thinking it, why not tell the person. I try never to miss an opportunity to lift someone's spirit.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I was in the cafeteria getting a fountain drink. I caught my coat sleeve on the edge of the drink machine and spilled some. The worker came and cleaned it up them helped me to get the rest of my purchase and walked me to the register. I really felt bad that she thought I needed help.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
DH & I were in line at Burger King about 2 months ago & drove up to pay. My DH handed the attendant our money & he told DH that the man in the truck ahead of us paid for our meal. That's the first time that type of random act of kindness has happened to us. It felt so good.
P.S. Our meal was just under $8.
That happened to me a couple of years ago in a Whataburger drive through when the young man in front of us paid for our drinks (which was all we ordered). I was horrified when I accidentally let my front bumper just kiss his rear bumper. There was no damage but I made apologetic motions to him; maybe that his way of saying he forgave me!