Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Guess what we had for dinner >

Guess what we had for dinner

Guess what we had for dinner

Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 AM

excuse me for the all caps, couldn't get it to go off. i've been nearly sick to my stomach just reading all the things that some people eat. think i'll have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, lol.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I was told that different parts of a snapping turtle taste totally different. But, thanks I'll pass on that. But if a really experienced person would offer, I might try a little of that snapper.
I like turtle. I was told all my life that there are 7 different tastes in snapping turtles. I know there is one, chicken, taste that you couldn't tell the difference if you didn't know what you were eating. Sorry but I'm on the side of eating turtle. Wish I had one now. The taste is all in the preparation. Cooked right--DELICIOUS. :thumbup:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM

I'd have to pass on supper with you :lol: ...but... good riddance to the *snapping turtle*. They are vicious and very mean and I swear can bite thru a 2x4. They're totally opposite to the pet store/box turtle variety :D
Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM

That was one of my jobs as a kid. After someone removed the head I had to use a stiff brush and Fels Naphtha soap to clean off the greenish brownish stuff that stuck to the shell. Then Grandma would put it in the pot of hot water. Then after a while she'd take it out and take the meat apart. Then cook it again with other stuff, onions and other veggies. We always ate all of it, must have been good. All I can remember is playing with those long, dried out shells. Food was food then in the depression, you ate what was on the table or else you went without.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM

My father in -law cooked all those weird creatures and it was good. We had snake,turtle,goat,beaver etc. I sure miss him and his cooking
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM

I like snapper. Tastes like chicken! I cook it like I cook other game. Most people make turle soup out of it. A lot of people buy the shell and paint them. So there ya go. Food for the table and money in your hubby's pocket.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM

I like snapper. Tastes like chicken! I cook it like I cook other game. Most people make turle soup out of it. A lot of people buy the shell and paint them. So there ya go. Food for the table and money in your hubby's pocket.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

If it was a huge turtle that means it has had a long life and probably could have had many many more years. to each his own, but I feel confident that the turtle should have been encouraged to go on its way and it would have been fine. I guess I am a wildlife lover also.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sneed
You NEVER know what might be on the table for dinner around here. This morning something caught my hubby's attention out the dining room window...a huge snapping turtle coming up the hill from the pond. Big enough that one of my chickens would have been his dinner if they had been near. He decided to invite him to our dinner table.

What did I think? Not horrible, not wild tasting, not tasty at all. Sum it up,,,I told him he didn't need to go on any big turtle hunts anytime soon.
I sure like turtle but Frog legs are better to me that is.I am country all the way.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Talking of turtles. Here is a cute video I saw this week... I hope the link works..

http://video.aol.com/video/urlesque-...a_dgi=aolshare