Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Guess what we had for dinner >

Guess what we had for dinner

Guess what we had for dinner

Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 PM

I feel the same way. I see no need to kill a harmless animal unless you NEED the food. Sorry if I offend anyone but this breaks my heart.[/quote]
----------------------------------
I remember during the depression, with my cousins I was fishing in a pond and were watching some of the baby ducklings swimming after their mother. One after another suddenly sunk under the water and my uncle cursed and said he must have more snapping turtles walk over from the creek. He had to net them out every once in a while since they would kill all his birds, ducks and chickens and anything that got near the water.
It was better for his family to eat the turtles than let the turtles eat all their birds they had intended to eat themselves.
These are not the friendly land turtles/tortoises, these are nasty tempered snapping turtles. They grow big and eat both fish and land animals, everything they can get hold of.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM

My grandmother (affectionately called "Tex" by her friends) always told me "Never eat Feline, Canine, or Cold blooded" Thank you grandma.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sneed
You NEVER know what might be on the table for dinner around here. This morning something caught my hubby's attention out the dining room window...a huge snapping turtle coming up the hill from the pond. Big enough that one of my chickens would have been his dinner if they had been near. He decided to invite him to our dinner table.

What did I think? Not horrible, not wild tasting, not tasty at all. Sum it up,,,I told him he didn't need to go on any big turtle hunts anytime soon.
I LOVE your story!!
And what a wonderful, organic, natural source of food. No hormones or additives. Life is great, at the top of the food chain!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM

I've never had the opportunity to try turtle but I would if I could. I never say "yuk" about anything I've never tasted before. I figure if I can eat escargot then I could probably eat about anything and I do like them if cooked properly. Have eaten my share of caviar, frog legs, etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 PM

lol great story. My dh and I had some once when a friend caught one fishing. Like you said no great treat.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM

@Ramona Byrd

Thank you so much for your stories and good information. Many don't understand, or know what it means to "have to survive." Thankfully, we are not in that situation now, but my hubby thought I, the former city gal, would like to try a bite of his history.

He grew up in poverty in OK with his blind grandma, who was Indian. She loved turtle, and as a child he would catch them, and under her direction, cook them for her. She preferred them in soup. He also is a crack shot due to lots of hunting as a kid. Many of the widow ladies would give him a quarter for each duck he would bring them and then he could buy potatoes. To this day he loves potatoes and would eat them at every meal.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM

I have 9 turtles in my house, down from 14. I could not eat any of them, and therefore, no turtle for me, thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

When I was a child turtle and frog legs were on our table a lot. I never ate those at all. My grandmother said it wasn't fit for female digestion but she would cook those for the guys. I remember you could buy turtle soup in a can too.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I was told that different parts of a snapping turtle taste totally different. But, thanks I'll pass on that. But if a really experienced person would offer, I might try a little of that snapper.
I love turtle soup, and there are seven different flavors of meat on a turtle! but - fortunately for wild turtles - it is now illegal to eat them!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Weenween
Originally Posted by Sneed
You NEVER know what might be on the table for dinner around here. This morning something caught my hubby's attention out the dining room window...a huge snapping turtle coming up the hill from the pond. Big enough that one of my chickens would have been his dinner if they had been near. He decided to invite him to our dinner table.

What did I think? Not horrible, not wild tasting, not tasty at all. Sum it up,,,I told him he didn't need to go on any big turtle hunts anytime soon.
I sure like turtle but Frog legs are better to me that is.I am country all the way.
I like frog legs too! and shrimp...and all kinds of seafood!