Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody noticed this shortage in the US ?? :)

I noticed the TP diet a few months ago. I switched to White Cloud, it's soft but I think it's only sold at Wal-Mart. I don't like the quality of clothing being sold in the stores. Some of it is so thin I swear it will dissolve in the washing machine. The prices have gone up but the quality is way down. After one washing it seems the garment has shrunk and is all wonky. I'm talking about clothing purchased at Macy's not at the big discount stores.

Blog Entries
    My old pkg Northern Quilted tp had 332.6 sq ft or 242 2-ply sheets, 9 roll.
    My new pkg same name has 253.3 sq ft or 190 2-ply sheets, 9 roll.
    Quite a difference.

Blog Entries
    My Pop's was making the same complaint about his paper towels. I don't use paper towels but I have noticed the TP is getting shorter. I have noticed a lot of things getting smaller and costing more. A 1lb pack of bacon is now only 10 oz and cost $4.89. I got to noticing a lot of 10oz pounds Which set me to thinking about the bathroom scale I now only weigh 72lbs So I can now eat all the cookies and chocolate bars I want : )

Yes, I noticed Charmin was shorter. Bacon sold 12 Ozs instead of a pound (16 ozs). They even raise the prices. I think they are all motivated by greed and deception, look at the candy bars and just about everything else we buy.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, we experienced the same observation when opening the new package of Charmin!

This is a way to hold off inflation, I think. The next step would be to increase prices.

Every time a product changes containers looks or gives us a new, improved whatever, check the size/quantity!

When we moved to our new house (almost 14 years ago now!), I bought a cute bird cage that I put in the 1/2 bath. In this, I put two rolls of toilet paper. This was only for show since I had other paper in there to change out when necessary (in plain sight I might add). But lo and behold, after my sister-in-law was here, one of my rolls was missing from the bird cage. Now, keep in mind that they had been in there for years at that point. When I put another roll in (after fuming under my breath) I was shocked at the difference in rolls!

And even since then, I've noticed the shrinking roll.
    Let us not even talk about coffee!

It is everywhere. Gotta be SURE to check the size and quantity. I just bought yarn for a sweater I have made several times ... only to find that each new skein now has 13 yards less than before.

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of the sugar bag going from 5 lbs to 4 and the cereal boxes lasting a week that now last 3 days. It was funny and ironic to read this today! DH and I chuckled this past week when we went to the local large retailer to pick up TP and other bulk items. Didn't matter which one I picked up to look at in pricing or size, squeezing those rolls did not make them feel like they used to. (DH took the cart to another aisle, laughing histerically as it took me over 20 minutes to decide. I was merely trying to prove a point.) Couldn't have been a year or so ago our preferred brand was so much thicker and lasted longer than 2 days in our house. It costs the same for a package of TP that lasts a month as it does for a prescription medicine we can't do without. If we get down to our last dollars, it may be hard to choose.

As prices have gone up and sizes of products gone down, perhaps this is a way for the companies and stores to get the consumers shopping more often. We budget for the difference in price on a product we must have, but do we really go into the store for just a pkg of TP? Nope, usually pick up more. Who wins?
    Last edited by NanaCsews2; 03-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Yeah--remember when the standard measure was a pint, a quart, AND a 5# bag of sugar!

My husband checks everything and complains about the reduction in quantity, guess all this relates to their cost plus
    so many things have been required of companies . IT's the OB plan to keep us from being fat.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

Yes I agree with all of you. on all things, paper toweling, TP candy bars, sugar, flour, I am wondering has anyone ever checked yarn that says 4 ply. Are the plys as thick as they used to be?
    I bought copy paper at Staples as there was a rebate of $21. that made each ream only $1.00. So I expected a rebate check in the mail. I received a Staples Debit Visa card. Says a card acct maintenance fee of $3.00 Cancellation & Manual check issuance Fee $2.50 I can use this anyplace. don't have to be at staples. I intend to go to Staples- use up my $21. and tell them I DO NOT WANT THEIR CARD. I have 3 credit cards and none of them has a maintenance fee. I pay them before the due date.
    Companies use all kinds of tricks. Some people pay no attention but there are those of us that do.
    I use Miracle II soap, Moisturizing soap, Neutralizer, Skin Moisturizer, Use these products for shampoo, toothpaste, bathing, hand dish washing, Use a laundry ball, use butter, (margarine is one molecule away from plastic) coconut oil,
    (yes it is saturated but it is very good for you) Himalayan Salt (this is good for you also - contains 84 minerals) I do not buy the salt at the grocery store anymore). I could go on and on but I think you get the point. You do not have to buy the stuff they put all the chemicals in that are not good for you.
    I have a hard time finding clothes made in the USA. BUT SAS shoes are made in San Antonio, TX ! you cannot buy clothes without trying them on as a size in one brand is different from another brand. Try them on.

Same with restaurants... when your favorites announce a "new menu" coming out... watch for higher prices. The only reason for a new menu is to raise prices on the old stuff.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any time a product says new and improved you can bet they have either removed something from it or made it smaller. It's too bad we don't just refuse to buy them. If there was just one that all refused they would have to go back to the original and then we could start something else. But trying to get people to do that is not workable anymore.

I won't buy the yogurt or other plastic containers that have a big well in the bottom of it. You think you are getting the full container but you aren't.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Yes, I've noticed! Not only have the rolls become shorter (as in cardboard roller width) with less paper on each roll, the prices have risen! I've already commented than soon they will be the width of adding machine paper!

I have noticed this in Chairman, bounty and Puffs. And all the other things you have all talked about. a lot of fabric isn't as wide. Face creams and other makeup has thicker jars and less products. Here in Texas we have a wonderful ice cream called Blue Bell. They still sell by the gallon and pints. They keep their prices good and it is the best tasting ice cream ever so I buy nothing else.

Scott toilet tissue did that a few years ago. Then I noticed that the Glad wrap is shorter also - very irritating as I have large plates and it is hard to make the wrap cover from edge to edge. Then there's all the food items - tuna used to come in 7 oz cans; now it is 5 oz. Ice cream used to be half a gallon; now it is 1.50 quarts. And it goes on and on.
    Sally

Remember when TP only came in one size roll and it was the size of the "mega" rolls now?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    And what's sad is there is nothing we can do about it, save boycotting the products. However, I'm thinking toilet paper is one product we really have to have!! I can't imagine what it will be like by the time our grandkids are our age!
    The problem of downsizing the toilet paper is that we all spend more time changing out the roll!!! lol
    Sally

joy
    It is all about making money but not for us !!! Some things are packed in 6's... now they are packed in 5's for the same price.... saw that a few years ago...
    joy...

This has been annoying me for years! Like getting a box of crackers, same size box as usual, and only 1/3 full but the same price. I've been buying those individual puddings, and last year noticed there are 4 instead of 6 and they're the same price! I feel like I'm the stupid one for continuing to buy these things....but I like my puddings. And you have to have TP
    Lori

Quantity/size is down, price is up.

I have notice these downsizing of products for the last couple of years. But what really gets me is the cake mixes; when I took my cake out of the oven and the pan was only half full; I thought I didn't mix it right.

yes, I have noticed that for quite some time now. Some mfgs cut the size of a product (shampoo) increase the price then put it back to the original size and say..so many ounces free. Cracks me up. Sometimes I email them and let them know.. that I know! We have so many dumb people that they think we al are dumb.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast