Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anybody noticed this shortage in the US ?? :)

Has anybody noticed this shortage in the US ?? :)

This morning, I opened a new package of Charmin toilet paper, took one roll out and literally took a double take. Something was wrong with the roll !! It appeared that it had gone on a diet. I immediately retrieve the empty cardboard roll that I had toss into the trash container and compared them. My new Charmin was a HALF AN INCH shorter!! the toilet paper roll is now as wide as my hand (4"). Next time I go to buy toilet paper, I guess I will need to use my hand to measure the width of the TP. So much for Mega rolls !! They've have gone on a diet !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I haven't noticed that but have noticed that those "mega" rolls grow smaller each year. I had a package at the back of my storage that I must have bought several years ago. The same package I purchased just a few days ago was definitely/considerably smaller. So manufacturers are doing something.

Blog Entries
    Yep, my family discuss this a lot. The cardboard roll has become larger too. They have cut at least an inch off of the tp. Gripes me! They think they are fooling us. Coffee, flour, tp, candies, everything is that way. I used to be able to feed 4 of us on one can of green beans. Now it takes 3. And I called the co. on it. All the good it did was I got a coupon. Well, I have more than green beans. LOL

Blog Entries
    Isn't that what they do with pretty much everything? Keep the price the same but give us less product. Remember when a can of coffee was 1 lb.

I definitely noticed this! My sister was comparing some Charmin that she had stockpiled to some that she had just bought & the new stuff was a good 1/2" smaller! We were recently comparing TP at Costco & the Charmin said on the label something like "new size" & it was the same size as the Costco brand. I suspect it was the same size as it used to be.

I agree with quiltsrfun....just about everything has been downsized - same size "wrappers" but not the same volume or weight. http://www.today.com/id/40915489/ns/...ized-products/

http://www.newsnet5.com/money/consum...-at-same-price

If any product gets new packaging, you can bet the new one is smaller. I did pricing for a grocery chain for 16 years (quit about 3 years ago) and every year things were getting smaller. Does anyone remember when a bag of Hershey Kisses was 16 ounces? It was mid to late 90's when I first started in the pricing department. I had to include weights or quantities on all pricing signs I printed so I saw the decrease first hand. It has only gotten worse over the years. I noticed some "family sized" cereal boxes that were the size the regular cereal boxes used too be in the store a couple of months ago.

Blog Entries
    I have a tall go-cup for when I take a soda with me in the car. I like to use a straw in the hole on the top. The last package of straws that I bought did not even go to the top of the cup! They have shrunk the straws by an inch or so from the last box that I bought. So, I had to measure my cup and now I take a teeny tape measure with me when I go to the store just so that I can get a box of straws that are long enough.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    The packages say "New size!!!!!" like it is wonderful news for us!

Blog Entries
    remember when a gallon of icecream was a gallon?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Funny you should mention ice cream. The other day I told my daughter to just buy the half gallon carton of ice cream, and she laughed said there are no half gallons they are one and half quarts now. When did that happen? I don't buy it very often, and that was news to me.

Blog Entries
    Making smaller food products is to put us all on. A diet without knowing it.
    In UK last week a discussion was about reducing sugar in food and telling us how much we can have a day.
    Has anyone noticed how fabric appears to be reducing in width. I'm sure it was 44"at one time now 42" but I had a 40" the other day.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    And I thought it was just me thinking they were shorter! I had a coupon so I bought Charmin and didn't notice until I went to replace an empty roll. I guess it's just like everything else, prices going up and getting less.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Making smaller food products is to put us all on. A diet without knowing it.
    In UK last week a discussion was about reducing sugar in food and telling us how much we can have a day.
    Has anyone noticed how fabric appears to be reducing in width. I'm sure it was 44"at one time now 42" but I had a 40" the other day.
    I remember my mother telling me that when she was a kid a candy bar cost a nickel and was twice the size of the ones we were getting. Reducing the size of the product has always been a method of offering less for the same or greater price. I'm 74 and the "king size" candy bars they sell today were the norm when I was a kid. They keep it up they will all be bite-sized.
    Pat

I agree. They are cutting down the sizes on everything and keeping the prices the same or slightly higher. My used-to-be 6 ounce can of tuna is now 5 ounces as of last night when I realized it.

And what's sad is there is nothing we can do about it, save boycotting the products. However, I'm thinking toilet paper is one product we really have to have!! I can't imagine what it will be like by the time our grandkids are our age!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    remember when a gallon of icecream was a gallon?

Oh Lynnie and Quiltingcandy, you are so right. Now when you say "I am going to go get a half of gallon of ice cream", you are getting 1.5 quarts !! Ice cream is sold by the quart or half a gallon. They can't cut the size down to a quart. Wonder what they are going to do?? Saw Dreyer's for $5.99 for a quart and a half at the grocery store. NO WAY !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Yep....I've been watching the "toilet paper scam" for years........double rolls are now smaller than the original standard roll of years gone by.
    It really is an insult to my intelligence when I read "Twice as much for the same price blah blah blah".
    I have noticed that they not only are gettting shorter as the first poster points out but the roll of cardboard itself is now wider. Just can't win can we!

I bought a pkg. of printer paper recently that was "on sale". It wasn't until I opened it that I disovered it had 100 sheets less.
    Dodee

just like when ice cream was shorted..and i as a comsuemer , i am smart enough to notice

I noticed the same thing last time I bought TP!! Trickery at its best!!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    You can, also, notice it when cooking from old recipes that no longer turn out "the way they use to".....

Blog Entries
    A 5 lb. bag of Gold Medal flour is now 4 lbs.

Did they think we would not notice the TP? We are all putting in on a holder that is made for TP as it was years ago, you can see the empty space on either side.

I am so cheap I bypass the 1.5 quart ice cream and get the 5 quart in a plastic pail. Check the price per ounce on the shelf tags. Not premium but I add my homemade hot fudge sauce.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As long as we don't have to go back to using corncobs and the Sears I'll be happy. I measured my tp roll and it only measures 4". Never measured before but DH noticed. Friend one day said oh it's just that we're older and bigger that items seem so much smaller. Nope we are paying more for much less! I have a tape measure with me all the time and when I go into the fabric dept. I always measure. Once a bolt said 44" and was 42. I asked for a discount since it was "irregular." They said no and took it off the floor. Said they would have to send it back to the manufacturer or need to get permission reduce the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast