Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone made the waxed, reusable food wraps?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Has anyone made the waxed, reusable food wraps?

I have the directions for making reusable waxed cloth food wraps and wondering if it works? It seems pretty straight forward but wonder if it's only worth it if you make it in large quantities. Any input appreciated!

Power Poster
    ​I would worry about bacteria build up and keeping them clean.

I have some commercially made ones that I do use to cover bowls and occasionally to wrap things. Because they aren't clear, it hard to know what's inside them, but they do work just fine. They stay where folded and mold to the item due to the warmth of your hands. I haven't tried to make them, however. Seems like a lot of messy work what with the wax. Reminds me of the candle making days of the 1970s!

Blog Entries
    I never heard of doing that.

I have never made them, but do buy them at craft fairs. They last a long time and are washed in with the dishes in the sink, so are just as clean as your dishes.

Great alternative to clingfilm; expensive to buy, but worth the effort to make.

Blog Entries
    I tossed out at least four different cling wraps that did not cling. kept two. they don't work well either! where does one find these?
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I never heard about this, but it sounds intriguing. I make my own laundry 'detergent' and a few other products and love the results. How do you make these?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll dig out the blog posting where I found it next week--I set off tomorrow at 7:15am to haul truck/trailer of items to KCRQF for my guild's vendor booth and will be there for next 4 days! Can't remember the whole recipe right now but it only had 3 ingredients--think that besides the wax there was something to keep more sanitary and something that keeps it flexible. The squares of fabric you "waxed" were not huge. Interesting to hear that you just wash like dishes in sink, too. I really do want to do these, may need to recruit some pals if the ingredient amounts are only sold in larger quantities. I'll get back with blog info later.

I love anything that reduces the need for things to end up in landfills. However, my husband is in the kitchen way more than me and he breaks/ruins/loses everything lol. He's still a keeper though, and a fantastic cook!

I have never reused a food wrap.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I just use the glass pyrex containers with the lids. There are off brands of them also in the big box stores. They are square and stackable and they don't take up a lot of space plus you can see what is in them.

I rarely use plastic wrap. About 5 years ago, I bought about 50 see-thru plastic containers with lids in 3 sizes that are microwave, dishwasher, and freezer safe. No pba in them. I use them over and over. Fairly inexpensive. The best bang for my buck.