Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waxed Material???  How do I... >

Waxed Material??? How do I...

Waxed Material??? How do I...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
LastGrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver WA
Posts: 556
Default

wash it? I always wash my quilting material before sewing it. But I am stumped with this!

My wonderful neighbor just got back from a trip to Ghana, Africa, and bought me this lovely purple and chartreuse fabric (color is darker than the pics - sorry!). It is more like linen than cotton, but it is "Super Real Wax - Baritex Guaranteed Super Wax" as you can see.

So, is it like a Batik -- waxed in that way to make the pattern??? Or what? Do you think I can wash and dry it like any other material?

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-257161.jpe   attachment-257162.jpe   attachment-257163.jpe  
LastGrandma is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
dakotamaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South central Nebraska, US
Posts: 5,367
Default

Boy, I'm stumped. Guess if it were me I'd cut a small piece and wash it and see what happens. :)
dakotamaid is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
  #3  
MTS
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,134
Default

I have yards and yards of African fabric - just like yours.
Toss it in the machine if you want.

I rarely prewash - only the solid hand-dyed (meaning non-commercial ones).

But it's fine if you do - this fabric is used to make the fabulous bright dresses for the ladies. It's 100% cotton.

Looks like Vlisco fabric to me --- Bartex might the technique or another fabric manufacturer. Vlisco is actually a Dutch company that makes fabric for the African market. Go figure.

Check out the latest fashion show here:
http://www.vlisco.com/
MTS is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
ube quilting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 10,634
Default

Originally Posted by MTS
I have yards and yards of African fabric - just like yours.
Toss it in the machine if you want.

I rarely prewash - only the solid hand-dyed (meaning non-commercial ones).

But it's fine if you do - this fabric is used to make the fabulous bright dresses for the ladies. It's 100% cotton.

Looks like Vlisco fabric to me --- Bartex might the technique or another fabric manufacturer. Vlisco is actually a Dutch company that makes fabric for the African market. Go figure.

Check out the latest fashion show here:
http://www.vlisco.com/
Boy -o-boy, this is some beautiful stuff. Did I say beautiful?
beautiful and beyo!nd
ube quilting is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Glassquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast IL
Posts: 2,064
Default

Hot iron & paper, over & over

http://www.ehow.com/how_6347208_remove-wax-batik.html
Glassquilt is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
  #6  
MTS
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,134
Default

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Boy -o-boy, this is some beautiful stuff. Did I say beautiful?
beautiful and beyo!nd
Kinda makes it hard to go back to the boring Moda florals ;-)

We used to order bolts (6 yds) and split amongst a group.
I still have boxes of this stuff.

There are a lot of knockoffs but the Vlisco ones are the top of the line.
Although there are also a lot of counterfeit Vlisco ones out there.
MTS is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
mom-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,395
Default

It might be fabric like they used to have for tablecloths and outdoor furniture. I think it was called "oilcloth". The wax was intended to make it waterproof or at least water resistant.
mom-6 is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  #8  
MTS
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,134
Default

Originally Posted by mom-6
It might be fabric like they used to have for tablecloths and outdoor furniture. I think it was called "oilcloth". The wax was intended to make it waterproof or at least water resistant.
Nope. It's 100% cotton fabric.
MTS is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mabank, Texas
Posts: 8,778
Default

I like the fabric a lot but can't help you with your question.
BETTY62 is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
LastGrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver WA
Posts: 556
Default

Baritex is a Northern France company that distributes the material from Northern Africa. They do not manufacture or make -- only distribute from them. At least that's what their website states.
LastGrandma is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wildyard
Main
20
02-05-2013 05:39 PM
wildyard
Main
75
01-22-2013 10:50 AM
dphelps
Main
13
07-27-2011 04:57 AM
gollytwo
Main
15
06-03-2010 03:32 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.